1 of 300

Introduction

Sparta: land of warriors. I am Ophira and I live here, but I don't necessarily want to be a warrior. Spartan women are supposed to be strong, to show no emotion. They send their men away to battle, hoping that they will return. If the men die, the women are supposed to be proud of them, happy that they gave their lives for Sparta. This is why I have chosen to stay unwed. At 18, I am now considered an old maid, which breaks my parent's hearts.

I stay at home with my family, which is what unmarried Spartan women do. I live with my parents, take care of the house and help with my siblings. My youngest sister, Phaedra, is also at home. She is being taught to be a Spartan woman. I try to keep my mouth shut. My mother, Mya is distraught over my decision, afraid that by the time I realize I have made a mistake; it will be too late for me to find a husband. Jace and Zander, my younger brothers, were off training to be warriors, both taken from their mother at the tender age of seven. My father, Aristedes is a general of the Spartan army. My older brother, Aetos, went to war with him to fight the Athenians at the age of 18 and never came back. He died with glory and honor, they say. I was only 16 when they told me not to mourn his death, but to be proud of it because he gave his life to protect the city-state.

One day, I was beating a rug when my mother approached me.

"Ophira, I need you to go to the market and pick up a few things. We are having a celebration tonight. Your brother, Zander, has finished his training and is officially in the army."

I set down my stick and turned to her.

"I hate this!"

"Young lady, do not speak your treachery in my house. Now, do as you're told and go."

"I just don't want to lose him the same way we did, Aetos," I murmured sadly.

Seeing my pain, she put her hand gently on my arm.

"My daughter, don't make your brother's death a loss. He died to protect us and all of Sparta."

I shook her hand away, grabbed my basket and headed to the marketplace.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it's short. The whole thing is. I will try to make it longer! Please, comments!!!