1 of 300

The Proposition

"If my father wishes for you to stay, them I do also," I said robotically.

Lysander flashed a bright smile at me and carried the basket into the house. My sister clawed excitedly at my arm.

"Oh! I can't believe that Lysander is having dinner at our house!" she cried.

"Stop it, Phaedra. Why are you so excited?" I muttered.

"Because he isn't married and is probably the most handsome member of the Spartan army."

"Good question. Why isn't he married?" I mused.

I just shook my head and headed off to help my mother. I sat quietly at dinner, strategically sat next to Lysander. The whole family laughed and smiled as he entertained them with stories of his friendship with Aetos. I quickly excused myself and began to clear the table, not wanting to think of my brother. A short while later, my father called me.

"Ophira, please escort our guest to the door."

"Yes, father," I replied submissively.

I stepped into the dining area and Lysander followed me to the door. He stopped and gazed down at me. The way he looked at me made me blush.

"You have incredible eyes. They are as green as the spring grass peeking through the last of the winter snow," he murmured, touching my hair.

I scrunched up my face and looked at the floor.

"Thank you."

I wanted to snap back with a sarcastic comment, but held my tongue. I didn't want to anger my father, and he had given me a compliment.

"I hope you know I have every intention to come calling on you."

"You barely even know me," I whispered, feeling my heart pounding in my chest.

"I know you better than you think," he replied, looking into my eyes. I began to feel uncomfortble, like he was able to look straight through me and see my soul. Awkwardly, I averted my eyes, breaking his powerful gaze.

"If you must come calling, you will only gain friendship," I said, looking up at him.

"If that's what it must be for me to be near you, than I can accept that. Good night, Ophira."

"Goodnight, Lysander."

I watched him walk away, highlighted by the moonlight. Even I had to admit, there was something rather hypnotizing about him. I was determined to not let this man worm his way into my life. He could have Phaedra. She was younger and more subservient than I was anyways.I went back into the house to be greeted by knowing gazes.

"It's nothing!" I cried and ran to my room where I threw myself on my bed, staring at my picture of Aetos and crying myself to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi! Sorry it took so long to update. I will update again much sooner.