1 of 300

The Life Debt

Lysander came back the next day, and the next. He stayed for dinner and I stayed strong. My feelings began to frighten me. I missed him when he wasn't with me and was happier than I ever had been when he was. I didn't want to admit it, but I had fallen in love. I had discovered that he was smart and funny, nothing like I expected. He was not proud, like many soldiers, but gracious to the gods for sending him home after fighting. I would still become flustered when his green eyes would drill into mine. I wanted to touch him, to taste his kiss on my lips, but I restrained myself. And, it came one day, the moment I expected. We were sitting under an olive tree on the outskirts of the city. He was quiet, which was unusual.

"What's wrong?" I asked, trying to see what was causing this change in behavior.

"I have to go to war," he forced out.

"I know."

He avoided my gaze. I reached out to touch his hand and he grasped it tightly.

"I don't want to leave you."

I didn't know how to react. So, I did the only thing I knew.

"Be true to your oaths, Lysander. You are not weak. You will leave me because you are to bring glory to Sparta."

"This isn't you."

"What am I supposed to do?" I asked.

"Why don't you love me?" he begged.

"Don't," I cried. "You weren't supposed to get attached. I told you we wouldn't be together."

"I didn't want to!"

I gave him a strange look.

"What do you mean?"

"I promised Aetos I'd take care of you!" he spat.

My heart constricted. I thought he had really cared for me, but it was just a sense of obligation.

"I can take care of myself!"

I stood up and began to storm away.

"Ophira!"

"I don't need your pity! I could be married if I want to, but I chose not to! I don't need you to pursue me over some promise you made to my dead brother!"

"He saved my life! I owe him a debt."

"Your debt is paid. Goodbye Lysander, may the gods be on your side."
♠ ♠ ♠
I know, very short. But, I will put out more quickly!