Not Easily Broken

Remembering The Days

I remember the days like it was yesterday. Being with my grandma and my sister and cousin. My grandma was everything to me! She was a mother when I was motherless, a father when I was fatherless, a cousin, sister, brother - Anything I wanted her to be! She was even my best friend. Nothing anyone could say or do would change my perspective on that woman.
My grandma bought I and my sister and cousins anything we wanted. Even where she was down to her last dollar, she made a way. She was the definition of a hustler. She took us to everything. The barbecues, the parties, the family reunions, always dancing and playing, singing, and playing dominoes! My father? He was hardly there. In and out of jail. It was his second home. He was never at my birthdays, and the ones he did attend, I don't remember. The times I do remember being with him were when he was with his girlfriend, not my mother. When I was six, I was there when the cops came for him.
As we sat at my house, having a good time, there was a knock at the door. I sat there clueless. "Come on! Get down!" My father had said as he put us, me and my sister Anayja, on the ground, "Don't say nothin'." His deep voice had whispered to us. We nodded and just lie still, no movement, no voices.
When my mom did open the door, the police came in with my grandmother. At the time, I didn't know what was happening. He's been in the "Big House" ever since. My mother? I don't remember most things that we did together. I do remember how she worked a lot to keep the household together, her being the only one working and a single-mother. I've always respected her for that. She's a strong woman with a fragile heart - that she passed on to me.
My sister? Anayja Nicole Jones. My dear sister, Eggs. We can fight all day long and still, at the end of the day can love each other to death. I remember one time, she pulled a knife on me!
I and my sister were doing our usual "Fight-over-something-stupid" routine. We were shouting back-and-forth when she suddenly picked up and knife, swinging it blindly. I started screaming as I ducked and dodged it, "Stop it! Anayja! Put it down! Mama!" I yelled. I ended up getting in trouble, like always.
My family... We all have our different struggles, but we love each other. Always have and always will...