Status: This story does not have a romance pairing yet! Help me out! Who should Reina 'be' with?

SpanGLEEish

"without passion you can't succeed"

Chapter 10:

Now that I see your new rhythm, I’m in a state of shock now

The stage was dim, except for the single spotlight that shined on stage. I felt the bright light warm my skin, and I felt my cheeks heat up as I looked to the person beside me.

The way I can see your body movin’ and I don’t want you to stop now

I grinned and extended my arm out, holding out my hand for him to grasp.

I like the way you approach me so sensually

I couldn’t feel it, but I watched as Rory touched his palm to mine.

You got me in a daze, boy

I was then twirled towards him until I was wrapped in his arms, my back pressed to his chest.

I can’t ignore the way you’re dancin’

Our faces were centimeters apart, our eyes locked together.

You got me in a trance and I can’t explain it

I grinned and I again twirled away and proceeded to do a dance combo. As I paused from a pirouette, my senses of my surroundings brought me back to reality as I heard my music skip and the ringing of an alert from my cellular chimed out momentarily before again playing the music. I glanced over my shoulder to watch the place I had imagined Rory was at. Naturally, he wasn’t there. His presence was all in my head. I shook my head, still grinning, and jogged to my phone that was plugged into the auxiliary cord in the wings of the stage.

I unplugged my phone and opened the text that read:

AWESOME NEWS GIRLY! I’m going with you to Juilliard this summer!

The text was from Mari. My grin faltered.

Wow Mari! That’s great news! I texted back. Although my text may have been enthusiastic, I wasn’t feeling that way at all. I frowned. Why did I feel so disappointed about this? This really was great news, after all. One of my best friends would be joining me at Juilliard.

“She’ll be better than me.” I murmured, scrunching my eyebrows together. Out of the three of us, that is, Colleen, Mari and I, Mari had always been more inclined to dancing. Colleen was more inclined to instruments. And I was the better singer, but I still loved dance too. But I had to admit to myself, Mari had always been a better dancer than me. It just never occurred to me that that fact would affect me in any way.

My phone chimed again: IKR My dad phoned them earlier in the month to see what was up and turns out there was a failure in the system, so I didn’t get my email on time. But I’m in after all! Dad already sent the money! I’m SO EXCITED!

I bit my lip. Of course, Mari’s father had amazing connections and was bound to get his fabulous dancer of a daughter into the program. And it was already paid for. Now I was behind in two things, financially and skillfully. I let out a groan, before shaking my head. I didn’t need to get into this mindset, I needed to practice, harder than ever now.

I plugged my phone back in and changed the song. No more distractions. I strode center stage, counted myself off and began.

Later that day, I was trudging into the choir room, avoiding everyone’s eyes, not that they were paying attention to my presence, and took a seat in the back. I propped my legs up on the empty seat beside me and leaned back, letting out a long sigh.

Mercedes strode towards the seat on the otherside of me and eyed my propped up legs. “You alright?” She asked.

I let out a tired laugh and shrugged. “For the most part.” I replied with a weary grin. Once her attention was away from me, I proceeded to lean over and massage my calves through the material of my black leggings. The sigh I let out was one of relaxation rather than exhaustion.

“All right, guys! Let me ask you something.” Mr. Schue strode in and went straight towards the whiteboard as he wrote out four numbers. “Where do you think you’ll be in the year 2030?”

“Broadway.” Kurt and Rachel automatically said, coincidentally, at the same time. They turned to each other, grinning. “Twinsies.”

The next reply was from Artie. “Walking.” His answer was hopeful.

“In jail, or dead, or both.” Puck added from his seat, looking less hopeful and more expectant of his future.

“On tour internationally.” I muttered to myself, a small smirk on my lips.

Mr. Schuester continued, “Wherever you are, whatever you’re doing, you’re going to need to be able to speak Spanish. The reality is, by 2030, more people on this planet will be speaking Spanish than any other language. The world is changing. Our culture is changing. And that needs to be reflected in here.” I quirked a brow and glanced towards my sister to see her reaction. We were the only people in the room who were Spanish speakers. From the expression on her face, Santana didn’t look impressed by Mr. Schuester’s speech. “So for our next assignment, we’re only doing songs written or performed by someone Latin, or of Latin descent. Or English songs performed bilingually.”

“Uh, Mr. Schue, though I love that we’re finally getting all Lima Sound Machine in here, why now?” Santana asked.

I smirked before speaking up, teasingly, “I’d like to think that we were of some inspiration.” Santana locked eyes with me before rolling them in their socket. I let out a laugh. “What else could be the reason?”

“Oh, because it’s long overdue.” Mr. Schue replied. “The truth is, I love all things Latin. I mean, I love Latin food, Latin art, Latin people…”

Santana cut him off. “You don’t know any Latin people.”

At that moment, a tall, handsome someone jogged into the room. “Siento llegar tarde, yo estaba hilo dental.” The man spoke in fluent Spanish to Mr. Schuester. My eyes sparked; and I wasn’t the only one having this reaction.

Mr. Schuester had an awkward reaction to his Spanish, clearly not understanding the man, but trying to play it off like he did. He clapped a hand on the man’s shoulder. “Um, guys, this is David Martinez.” He turned to David and motioned towards us. “David Martinez, this is the glee club.”

“Oh my God. Cutest…smile ...ever.”

“Hello everyone.” David Martinez said with a quick friendly wave and a wide, perfect smile. “Es un honor estar aquí con ustedes. It’s a pleasure.”

Puck leaned back from his seat in front of me and furrowed his eyebrows, “What did he just say?” I shh-ed him and eagerly went back to paying attention to the new stranger.

“David here is one of my many Latin friends.” Mr. Schuester said to everyone, especially hinting his words at Santana. “And he’s interested in starting his own night school Glee Club, after hours. So I invited him to come watch us get our duende on.”

“Duende?” Finn questioned, clearly confused by the word.

“Ugh, it means dwarf, you ass.” Santana quipped.

“Now I’m completely confused.” Puck added. “What’s the assignment?”

“To sing in Spanish with duende. Which, yes, literally means dwarf, but metaphorically it means to have Spanish soul. To be filled with Spanish passion. ” Mr. Schuester explained, making very expressive gestures and facial expressions.

David interjected in Mr. Schue’s spiel, “Will, can I…hablar con ellos?”

Mr. Schuester looked as confused as Finn had moments ago but replied, “That’s right.” and motioned the man forward.

David began to explain, “A performance with duende transforms you. Makes you sing, makes you cry, makes you laugh. Makes you want to kiss a person you love. A song sung in Spanish must have duende, or else…”

“Es malo.” I finished for him.

David smiled at me, “Entiendes?” I grinned back and shrugged.

“Would you mind showing us?” Santana asked, evident curiosity in her eyes.

“Oh dear God, yes, please.” Kurt added.

David turned to Mr. Schue in question. Schuester nodded approvingly. “Be my guest.”

“Okay. Well, I’m not a professional like you guys, but I’ll give it a go. Alright.” David replied.

“How about a duet then?” I called out, standing up from my seat, completely forgetting about how much I wanted to rest my legs. “Since it’s your first time performing and all.” I added as I strode to his side. I glanced to Mr. Schuester, “I am, after all, a fluent Spanish speaker and I know what duende is.”

Mr. Schuester nodded, “Go ahead, Reina.”

David grinned and turned to me, “That’s very nice of you. Gracias.”

David strode towards the band. Santana pulled me aside at that moment, “I wanted to watch him perform, not you.”

“Then watch him, not me.” I retorted. She again rolled her eyes and took a seat.

“Now guys, remember, Mr. Martinez is our guest, okay? Let’s create a safe and supportive environment.” Mr. Schuster was telling the rest of the club. David had already told the band the song to play and just before Mr. Schue finished talking, David asked me if I knew the song in a hushed tone. I grinned and gave him a thumbs up as the band began to play.

“Ladies up in here tonight!” David started off, striding to the middle of the room. All eyes were on him. “No fighting, no fighting!

“Shakira, Shakira” We called out at the same time as the band kicked up the music a notch and David began to sing: “I never really knew that she could dance like this. She makes a man wants to speak Spanish. Como se llama, bonita, mi casa, su casa.” His eyes were on the audience in front of him as he did a few merengue moves that captivated the female audience’s attention. I grinned in amusement at their reaction and sang out my part.

“Oh baby when you talk like that You make a woman go mad So be wise and keep on Reading the signs of my body” I started to follow the same dance steps David was doing. He noticed and slid to my side so we were dancing shoulder to shoulder as he sang the next verse with me, but while I sang it in English, he sang out the words in Spanish. “And I'm on tonight You know my hips don't lie And I'm starting to feel it's right. All the attraction, the tension Don't you see baby, this is perfection”

“Senorita, feel the conga, let me see you move like you come from Colombia” David sang alone. My adrenaline had started to pump, as it does when I dance and sing. I couldn’t feel the uncomfortable pain in my feet that had been ebbing since I stood up. I was feeling the music and the song, letting myself entangle in the rhythm. My hips swayed side to side, my abs were on fire from the control I was trying to do to present the ‘Shakira’ hip shake as perfect as I could. Although I could feel eyes watching me, I didn’t return their gaze because I was too immersed in what I was doing.

“Mira en Barranquilla se baila así, say it! Mira en Barranquilla se baila así”

I was barely aware of the fact that David had pulled most of New Directions onto the floor with us to dance until I felt the bodies around me. I grinned, pulling my mind back to reality and singing again, “I'm on tonight, my hips don't lie And I'm starting to feel you boy Come on let's go, real slow Baby, like this is perfecto”

“Oh, you know I am on tonight and my hips don't lie And I am starting to feel it's right The attraction, the tension Baby, like this is perfection”

Everyone danced out the rest of the music until the band ceased their playing and we were all left breathless and grinning. “Yeah!” David called out.

Mr. Schuster clapped a hand on the man’s shoulder, “Mas bueno, mas bueno.” He said with a grin, his eyes roaming around the room at his students in approval.

Santana happened to be beside me in that moment. I watched her roll her eyes in irritation. “Tonto.” She muttered as she crossed her arms.

“Muy bien, compañero.” I called out to David, holding a thumbs up. “Eres un artista natural!”

---------------

“I didn’t know you could dance like that.” Rory said with a cheeky grin. I gazed at him from across the table and smiled in return to his words. We were seated in a booth at Breadstix. I was on break, and Rory was sweet enough to come by yet again; this was the third time we had dinner together in this way.

“‘Like that’” I repeated with a chuckle. “Yeah, well, I watch a lot of dance videos. Shakira is definitely an inspiration.”

“She’s your inspiration?” He asked with genuine curiosity.

I shrugged and took a quick sip of my water. “Well, technically Selena Quintanilla is my inspiration.”

Rory blinked in confusion. I let out a laugh. He smiled sheepishly. “What? I don’t know who that is!”

“I know. I figured as much.” I let out one last laugh before continuing. “Well she was a Tejano singer who had a big future ahead of her. She’s actually who my mother named me after.” My smile faltered after mentioning my mother. Rory stared at me, that confusion still on his features.

“What happened to her?”

I twitched at his ambiguous question. “Who?”

“Selena Queen Latifah?”

I found myself grinning again, letting my sad thoughts disperse. “Quintanilla.” I corrected. “And she died.”

“Oh.” Rory stared down at his food. “That’s morbid.”

“It’s a tragedy.” I nodded, feigning sadness.

Rory sat up in his seat, “What are her songs? We should sing one together, for glee club.”

My feigning ceased, but my frown stayed. “That’s an idea.”

Rory’s grin faltered. “I know what that means.” He grumbled.

I smiled half-heartedly, “I’m still busy with dance. I don’t really have time to teach you one of her songs to perform.”

He returned my smile. “No, I understand. It’s just a lousy situation.”

My frown returned and I bit my lip to stop myself from replying. But that didn’t stop my thoughts. What was lousy? That I didn’t have a lot of free time to spend with him? That’s kind of selfish. Or maybe he meant that me being busy with dance was lousy? Is he saying my dancing aspiration is lousy? That’s rude. Que fue un pésimo que decir!

“Reina.”

I blinked. “Que?” I asked Rory. Rory looked puzzled but stared past me and at the person beside me. I turned my head, and there was Scott, a weary look on his face. “What’s up?” I asked him.

“Um, could you come to the back with me?” Scott asked, his eyes darting from me to Rory and then back again.

I pulled the napkin from my lap and set it on the table. “Sure.” I didn’t bother to question him. Clearly, it was important. I turned to Rory. “I’ve got to go.”

I didn’t wait to hear his reply as Scott quickly ushered me back to the cash register. Instead of stopping there, he led me to the back where the manager stood before us. She was a middle aged woman by the name of Lorraine and she had an annoyed look on her face. Scott presented me to her and she shooed him away. I held my hands together in nervousness. “Is there something wrong?”

“That’s what I would like to know. What were you doing in the booths section?” She snapped.

I furrowed my eyebrows. “I was on break and just having dinner.”

“With another customer?”

I nodded ‘yes’.

“Do you think that’s professional? Do you think that an employee seated at a table having dinner is appropriate when we have other customers who could be seated at said table?”

I frowned. “There was a customer seated at that table. I was just seated with him, I didn’t know I wasn’t allowed to do that.”

“Employees have a break room. The only time you should be seated out there is when you’re not wearing that uniform.” She pointed a stern finger at my outfit.

“Alright, uh, sorry.” I replied.

“That’s not what I wanted to talk to you about, though.” I raised my eyebrows. “I’ve been getting complaints about the tables you’ve waited and bussed. If you don’t shape up soon, I will terminate your employment.”

I again found myself biting my lip. I nodded my head and she brushed past me, clearly done reprimanding me. Her presence was replaced by Scott’s, who walked over to me once Lorraine was gone.

“Sorry I didn’t warn you.”

I shook my head, my cheeks were warm. I felt so embarrassed about the confrontation. “It’s fine. It was my fault. I have been distracted lately. I’m not surprised it was reflected in my work ethic.” I said with a half smile, biting my lip in thought.

Scott nodded his head. “Well, I should get back to work.”

I grabbed his forearm to stop him from going, “Could you tell Rory I got caught up with something? I’m going to spend the rest of my break in the back.”

Scott glanced at my hand before meeting me eyes. He nodded his head ‘yes’ and I released his arm.

By the time my break was over, I felt comforted by the fact that Rory was no longer in the restaurant. The rest of my shift went by smoothly, even though throughout it I felt Lorraine's eyes on my back.

I was about to exit the building for the day and head home when I got a text from Blaine asking me to go over. I happily obliged. It had been awhile since I’d seen him since his injury.

I ordered a cheesecake for him and quickly left to his house. I hadn’t been to Blaine’s house before, but the directions he texted me were helpful enough to get me there.

Soon, I was knocking on his bedroom door. I heard Blaine’s voice on the other said call out to me and I walked in, brown bag of cheesecake in hand. “Blaine!” I said his name happily, striding over to him. He was seated in his bed, his injured eye was patched up in gauze. My smile faltered once I caught a glance of his injury. “How are you?”

“Stir crazy.” He replied with grin. “Is that for me?” He asked with a chuckle.

I grinned back and took a seat on the side of his bed, setting the bag by him. “Food makes people feel better, right?”

Blaine nodded, “Not as much as singing does. How is glee club, by the way?”

“It’s completely chaotic!” I replied, flailing my arms out dramatically. “Without Blaine Anderson, we don’t know what to do with ourselves.” I finished, but not before breaking into a fit of laughter than Blaine easily joined in.

“No, but really.” Blaine urged. I sighed.

“Same old, same old.” I settled with. “Although, Mr. Schue assigned latin music for the week. He even brought in a guest who was muy caliente.” I said with a suggestive smirk.

Blaine scoffed, “That doesn’t sound same old, same old to me.” I laughed again, shrugging. “What have you sang?”

I sat up, more then willing to give Blaine a tell all on my performance with David. “Well, I performed with our special guest and we sang Shakira’s Hips Don’t Lie.”

Blaine nodded approvingly. “Wow. I thought you would’ve performed a Selena song.”

I blinked, feeling a sense of deja vu on the subject of the tejano singer. “What makes you say that?”

Blaine chuckled. “Your name is Selena Reina. Isn’t that what Selena Quintanilla was called, la reina? You're sort of her walking cliche.”

I pouted teasingly. “Hey! Blame my mother for being presumptuous, not me.”

“But she was clearly onto something.” Blaine said with a laugh. “You’re a great performer.”

I waved the comment off, “Well, I’m not here to talk about my name. I’m here to keep you company. You mentioned Kurt was at a sleepover with Rachel and Mercedes in your text.”

Blaine nodded, “Yeah, I didn’t want to bother him. I’m just having a serious case of FOMO lately.”

“Well, I know how to fix that.” I scooted closer to him. “Let’s sing a song.”

Blaine smiled and pulled out his phone, scrolling through it. “I was hoping you’d say that.” He pressed something on his phone and a familiar tune began to play softly. I sighed and shook my head. Blaine patted the spot next to him and I moved to sit shoulder to shoulder with my friend.

Blaine was the first to sing the words with his gentle voice, “I could lose my heart tonight if you don’t turn and walk away. ‘Cause the way I feel I might lose control and let you stay.” I smiled and leaned my head so it was resting on his shoulder as I joined in singing. “‘Cause I could take you in my arms and never let you gooooo” I reached my arm out dramatically and Blaine did the same as we went on to sing the chorus.

“I could fall in love with you, baby. I could fall in love with you.” Blaine’s falsetto was sung smoothly and I gave him a thumbs up to which he grinned at.

I sang the next part solo. “I can only wonder how.. touching you would make me feel. But if I take the chance right now, tomorrow will you want me still.”

Blaine joined in, “So I should keep this to myself and never let you know! I could fall in love with you, baby. I could fall in love with yoooou.”

I sat up and sang toward Blaine, making dramatic gestures in a joking manner. “And I know it’s not right and I guess I should try” Blaine sat up as well and harmonized his voice with mine, “To do what I should do, but I could fall in love, fall in love with you..”

Blaine paused the song. “Well, you’re definitely not rusty.” I remarked, teasingly.

Blaine gave me a ‘look’. “I’m offended that you think I would’ve been.” I laughed and shook my head. Blaine cleared his throat, “So, were you thinking of anyone in particular during the song?”

I squinted my eyes suspiciously at Blaine. I realized what he was insinuating, but wasn’t going to admit anything. Because to be honest, the only person I was thinking of while singing was Selena Quintanilla. “No.” I replied shortly.

Blaine let out a small laugh. “No thoughts of a certain singing Irish boy.” I shook my head, my eyes looking down to stare at my hands. “What? Are things not going well between you two?”

“Things aren’t really going anywhere between us.” I said, biting my lip.

Blaine furrowed his eyebrows. “So, you two aren’t dating?” I shook my head, still not meeting his eyes. “Have you guys even kissed?” My eyebrows raised, but I continued to shake my head. “Wow.”

I finally turned my head to glare at Blaine. “Thanks.”

“Oh Reina.” Blaine laced his arm through mine and pulled me close. “When it’s real, you’ll know it. You won’t be confused about it.”

I smiled. “Good to know.”

“Si voy a perderte yaaaaa”

Mercedes finished her song, which one could easily assume was for Sam, as she stood before him. I wasn’t sure what their relationship was about. My observation skills had been lacking as of late.

At that moment, my phone vibrated and I quickly fished it out from my pocket to check the text.

Outside your school!

I frowned. The text was from Mari. I stood up from my seat, grabbing my bag and headed for the exit. The halls were empty for the most part, considering school hours were over. I jogged toward the double doors of the main entrance into the school and saw a familiar powder blue Volkswagen beetle parked in front of the school’s steps. I raised my eyebrows in surprise as Mari grinned widely and waved me over excitedly.

I descended the steps quickly and waltzed up to her passenger side where she had lowered down the window. “Get in loser, we’re going shopping.” Mari called before I could say anything. I laughed at her movie reference.

I opened the door and slid into the passenger’s seat. “What are you doing here?”

“I scheduled a private at one of my dad’s gyms for us. It’s in Lima, and I wanted to celebrate in the best way possible.” She said with a grin. “Productively!”

My smile widened, “You know I like to be productive.”

Mari shrugged as she drove away from the school, “What can I say? I know you well.”

I glanced in the back seat. It was empty except for a duffle bag. “No Colleen?”

“She’s practicing for her orchestra final. But she sends her love.” Mari replied with a chuckle.

After only a few more minutes, we arrived in front of a cement building with a banner above the double doors that read “Hal’s Gym & Dance Studio”. We both got out of her car and headed inside the building.

“You know, I can’t stay for the whole private. I have work this evening.” I informed her as she led me down a hallway.

Mari made a sour face. “Do you work every day?” I nodded in the affirmative. She sighed. “Well, you let me know when we should stop.” And she pushed a door to her left open. Inside was a large room with smooth wooden flooring and mirrors that lined all four walls. Standing by the sound system was an instructor. He wore all black dance attire and turned to us with a polite smile on his face.

“You ladies ready to dance?”

----------------

The next day, my body was still aching from that private Mari took me too. My muscles hadn’t worked that hard since I went to St. Cecilia’s. As much as I had envied Mari from being able to keep up with a problem, my appreciation outweighed it all. Now I knew what level I needed to be pushing myself.

Even though my body ached, I was still able to appreciate the performance in front of me as I was seated in the choir room. Sam Evans and the rest of the glee club guys were doing a mash up performance of Bombeleo and Hero by Enrique Iglesias. The funky boots on all of their feet as they danced around had me grinning the whole time. And Sam’s voice was pleasantly smooth as he sang Hero. I was seated by my sister today, and was happy to see that she too was enjoying the performance. I noticed she’d been irritated since Schuester assigned this ‘latin’ assignment. I still had yet to figure out why.

“I can be your hero.”

The room burst into applause from the performance. The guys had grins on their faces.

“Guys that was some muy serious footwork!” Mr. Schue commented. He turned his head to the people seated to add, “Muy means very.”

“I was in it mostly for the boots.” Kurt remarked from his spot, smiling cheekily.

Mr. Schuster replied, “Yeah, what’s the deal with those boots? Because wow.”

“They’re Mexican hipster boots.” Finn said. He was seated by the drum set where he had been playing throughout the performance. “It’s kind of like a fad for groups of guys that are into dance music, and we’re kinda like a dance crew. Señor Martinez told us about it.”

Santana spoke up from her seat beside me, “The teeth, the duende, the bizarre Mexican fads. Señor Martinez is, like, the best Spanish teacher ever.” She turned her head to Mr. Schuester. “I can’t wait to see your performance, Mr. Schue.”

Mr. Schuster looked crestfallen, “My performance?”

“Yeah, to defend your Spanish teacher honor. I’m sure you have something muy amazing planned.” Santana retorted. I furrowed my eyebrows. What was her deal?

Mr. Schuster stood up, “Well, that’ll do for today. You’re all dismissed.”

Santana shot up from her seat and Brittany followed her towards the exit. I grabbed my things and jogged after her. Once outside the choir room, I stopped Santana in her tracks. “Why are you being so spiteful to Mr. Schue?”

She rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. “If you have to ask, you’re just as naive as the rest of them.”

I rested my hands on my hips and nodded my head. “Okay, I get it. But I’m not being naive. So he’s not the best Spanish teacher, you don’t have to be rude.”

Santana squinted her eyes at me. “Have you met me? I am rude. More so when I’m annoyed. And you’re starting to annoy me.” She turned on her heel and linked arms with Brittany as she walked away. I let out an irritated sigh.

“Are you okay?” Rory walked to my side and asked.

I half heartedly smiled at him, “Yeah.” I started walking towards the exit with Rory beside me keeping at the same pace.

“Will I see you later at Breadstix?” He asked.

I stopped in my tracks. “Actually, I forgot to tell you.” I met his eyes wearily. “My manager reprimanded me after the last time. I think it’d be a good idea if you didn’t come by anymore while I’m working.”

Rory frowned, his eyebrows scrunching together. He remained silent, seemingly pondering over my words.

“I’m sorry.” I said after the long moment. I glanced towards the exit, not able to meet his eyes. “I’ve got to go.”

------------

I was currently seated in the auditorium, watching my sister perform with David on stage. I had shaken my head at first, upon seeing him walk on stage to join Santana. Of course she would do this, and she definitely one upped me by actually dancing arm in arm with David.

“Bonita, bonita. Your Spanish lullaby!”

The auditorium was filled with applause.

Santana walked down stage, “Ladies and gentlemen, David Martinez.” She said with a wave of our hands towards the man.

“Santana, fantastico.” Mr. Schue remarked. “David, I’m just a little-- I don’t know-- confused about your participation here.”

Santana answered for him. “El es caliente, soy caliente, and hey, wasn’t that number fantastic and truly authentic?” I grimaced. She was still being spiteful.

“Thank you very much everyone.” David spoke up. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have a stack of night school exams on my desk that won’t grade themselves, so buenas noches.” He said with a wave before jogging off.

“Well, Mr. Schue,” Santana called out, her trademark smirk on her face, “the floor is all yours.” She proceeded to walk off stage.

Mr. Schuster stood up from his seat. He was wearing a matador costume and he waved Brittany and Mike over to follow him backstage.

Santana made her way over to the rest of New Directions and took a seat behind me. I turned around to face her. “Seriously?”

She crossed her arms and purposely looked past me towards the stage. I rolled my eyes and turned around. Mr. Schuster took center stage and his music began to play. My eyes widened as he howled out a grito and began doing salsa gestures.

“A little less conversation, a little more action please” He began to sing. “All this aggravation ain’t satisfactioning me” Then Brittany and Mike ran onto the stage dressed as bulls. I cringed; Mr. Schue was really trying to sell this matador performance. I furrowed my eyebrows. The song honestly had nothing to do with a matador, or at least that’s not the way it was perpetuated to me. My eyes wandered to my peers. Most of them were fairly amused and enjoying the performance. I hesitated when it came to turning around to face my sister. When I did, she had this pissed off look on her face. Santana locked eyes with me and raised her eyebrows, communicating silently: ‘Now you see what I’m talking about.’ I frowned and turned back around in my seat, my arms crossing over my torso as I continued to watch the performance.

“I should’ve offered to help him out.” I muttered to myself.

“Menos conversacion y mas accion, por favor!”

I applauded along with everyone else, trying to hide what I really thought of the performance.

Mr. Schuster faced us all, but his eyes were on a certain someone. “It was you.” He said once the applause died down. “You’re the one who complained to Principal Figgins about me.”

I blinked in confusion until Santana’s voice sounded behind me. “Yeah, and I’d do it all over again after that performance.”

“You’re messing with adult things here, Santana.” He barked out. “This is my job. This is my life.”

“And this is my education and it’s not a joke to me, although it seems to be one to you.” Santana retorted.

Mr. Schuster furrowed his eyebrows. “What are you talking about? They all loved my performance.” He motioned to his audience.

“Because they don’t know any better.” Santana quipped. “It’s your fault. You’re their teacher. You went from La Cucaracha to a bullfighting mariachi. Why don’t you just dress up as the Taco Bell chihuahua and bark the theme song to Dora the Explorer? You don’t even know enough to be embarrassed about these stereotypes you're perpetuating. How do you think that makes us feel?” Santana waved her hand towards me. I bit my lip, glancing away from Mr. Schue.

“That’s not fair.” He replied.

“Isn’t it?” Santana stood up, walking towards the aisle. “What did you want to be when you grew up? Why did you become a Spanish teacher, Mr. Schue?”

“Because…” He paused before letting out a long sigh. “it was the only teaching position open at the time.”

Santana crossed her arms. “I want to remind you of something that an amazing teacher once taught me: without passion, you can’t succeed.”

“Who taught you that?” Mr. Schuster asked.

Santana’s demeanor was no longer hostile and irritated as she gave Mr. Schue a half smile. “You did. And you do. When you teach Glee.”

The next day, everyone was seated in the choir room watching Mr. Schuester.

“I wanted to apologize.” He began. “Santana made a perfectly good point the other day. I am not the Spanish teacher you all deserve.” Mr. Schue stood up from his seat in front of us. “Which is why I am strongly suggesting you all to go to Principal Figgins and tell him all the good things you’ve learned from David Martinez. Because let’s be honest, he deserves to be you guys’ teacher.”

“For Spanish, though, right?” Finn piped in.

Mr. Schuester smiled. “That’s right.” His eyes then meandered towards Santana and I. “I’m really sorry for offending you two.”

I tried to speak up in protest, because I wasn’t ever truly offended by Mr. Schue. But Santana shh-ed me and replied with, “We accept your apology.” A genuine smile spread across her lips. I sighed, but smiled with her.

Mr. Schue waved towards the floor. “Would you two care to wrap up this week with a ‘truly authentic’ latin performance?”

Santana scoffed and I let out a laugh before speaking up. “I think everyone gets the moral of this week’s assignment.”

Santana nodded and turned her eyes to glance around at everyone. “I certainly hope so.”

“No cantaremos esta vez, pero gracias.” I finished.

Mr. Schuester looked as confused as ever.
♠ ♠ ♠
I really wanted to update this the day Glee ended, but I was too caught up in actually watching it and letting the Glee Goodbye sink in. Here's to 6 seasons, yall!

The day that I'm finishing up with this chapter happens to be the 20th anniversary of Selena Quintanilla's death, who, yes, I did name my character after. Selena was truly a legend that lives on. If you haven't given some of her songs a listen, you must!

Thanks for being patient! Thanks for reading!