Status: Contest entry that I have turned into a chapter story which you can read by visiting my Stories page. Thank you for reading. :)

Getting Away With You

1/1

I didn’t really know how this had happened, the past few minutes had just flew by in my terror stricken mind. But somehow, I was helping a complete stranger load the body of my friend into the trunk of his car.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
It was just another holiday, just another night of sitting at home, trying to let the not-so-scary Halloween movies melt away my boredom. I eventually removed myself from the couch and, turned the TV off, cutting off one of Jamie Lee Curtis’ screams before slipping on my shoes and walking out of my house. I didn’t grab my jacket because I wouldn’t be outside much, hopefully. My parents were gone to some big party in town, so I was free for the night. Giggles of children down the block and playful screams filled with laughter met my ears as I stepped into the slightly chilly October air. I watched as a car drove by, and then proceeded to walk across the street to one of my friend’s houses. Whenever I was bored, I could almost always count on Riley to bring some kind of fun into my life. I knocked on his door, hoping he was home so we could go out, and maybe do something other than rot in front of our televisions. I stopped knocking for a moment, giving him some time to get off of his lazy ass and get the door, but he never came. I knocked a few more times, and then gave up. I turned the knob, finding the door unlocked, which was odd, considering that whenever his parents went out he always locked the front door. ‘You never know what kinds of creeps can be lurking around.’ He always said. I considered just going in, usually, I would never do that, because his parents think that when I barge in its rude and they think I’m trying to seduce their son or something. Riley and I don’t have a girlfriend boyfriend relationship, we’re just friends. His parents aren’t home, none of the lights were on inside of his house, and the front door wasn’t locked. The situation reeked of something bad about to happen, but I never really rely on those types of things to tell me what to do. I slowly opened the door, already hearing that slightly scary background music from Halloween playing in my head, temporarily making me question what was left of my sanity. I took a step in, slowly and hesitantly.

“Riley?” I called out, praying this wasn’t about to turn into a scene from The Strangers and I’m one of the kids at the end of the movie that walk into the house and find the occupants stabbed to death in the living room. Oh, did you hear that? Yep, there went another thread of sanity, just cut lose by my horribly unstable mental state, cut even sharper by the Halloween season. I turned around, and grabbed a shoe from beside the door, and used it to prop the door open slightly. Always need a quick escape. Shit, there goes another thread. I turned back around, and suddenly a hand was slapped over my mouth, and a knife was pressed dangerously close to my throat, the cold blade threatening to split skin. At first I thought it was Riley playing another one of his stupid pranks, but I was wrong.

“You’re going to do what I say and listen to me, or you’re going to take a trip off the roof, got it?” The man growled at me, and I could barely make out a glare in his eyes that were hidden behind aviators. “Scream and I’ll slit your throat. But I’m not going to hurt you if you just work with me.” I nodded, and he took his hand away from my mouth and the knife away from my throat.

“W-who are you?” I asked in a shaky voice despite what he had just said.

“I’m the man that’s going to make your life a living hell if you don’t cooperate with me.” He said, and I took a deep breath, imagining the worst.

“Wh-where’s Riley?” I asked, hoping he was okay.

“You shouldn’t be concerned about that.” He said, and somehow I did the stupidest thing, very much so concerned about Riley as the man turned around.

“Just tell me if-” As soon as I grabbed his arm he turned around and had the knife back at my throat, the arm that had grabbed his arm pinned above my head.

“Just do as I say. No more questions about the little fucker.” The man growled, and slowly let me go.

“What do you want me to do?” I asked, my voice not exactly as strong as I had hoped it sounded.

“You’re going to help me with something.” He grabbed my upper arm, a little too hard, and began leading me towards the kitchen, where he then let go of me and pointed to a body lying in the floor, A large pool of blood was surrounding the figure, and it made my heart stop for a moment and tears sting my eyes.

“R-Riley.” I muttered, slapping a hand over my mouth as soon as his name left my lips, tears already making their way down my cheeks. Whoever this man was that was in his house killed him. I inched away from the man, even more frightened of him now. I didn’t want to be here. I especially didn’t want to be here with him.

“Shut up and help me get him into the car.” The man said, and walked over to Riley. “Don’t just stand there, help me.” The man spat at me through gritted teeth, and I slowly went over, but as my foot caught the pool of blood, I slipped, falling into the man and the blood. I let out a screams, tears staining my cheeks and mixing with the blood as the man scrambled out of the crimson liquid and latched an arm around me, the other sticky hand back over my mouth. “Fuck.” He muttered, sounding slightly shaken and agitated. He got to his feet, pulling me up in the process. I couldn’t stop the sobs as they tore through my lips. “Stop fucking around, and help me.” I nodded, and the man let go of me. Maybe if I cooperate he’ll let me go. I backed up against the counter as I noticed Riley’s chest slowly and faintly rising and falling. Sadly, the stranger noticed it too. He bent down to pick up Riley’s wrist. I looked behind me quickly, and grabbed the biggest knife out of the holster. I hid it behind my back as I turned back to the man, who was still occupied by Riley still miraculously being alive after multiple stabs to the chest. I would only have a second, I’d have to be fast. I had to save Riley. As quick as that last thought crossed my mind, I lunged at the man, the knife poised and ready to strike him, and he quickly got out of the way. I fell into Riley, the knife plunging deep into his heart. His eyes darted open as a strangled noise escaped his lips. He looked straight into my eyes and I stared back, horrified at what I had just done.

“Danielle…” Riley’s weak, hoarse voice trailed off, his eyes becoming frozen in place, staring into mine. More sobs and tears ripped through me as I scrambled off of Riley, and out of the blood for a second time, leaving the knife as it was, not wanting to touch it.

“Maybe you’re not as useless as I thought.” I didn’t look over at the man as the words left his lips. “Now get up and stop being such a fucking baby.” He said and came over to me, pulling me from my curled up position. He went back over to Riley, and picked up the top of his body, and I reluctantly took a step over and picked up the lower half of his body. The man kicked open the door to the carport and then walked over to a car that I had never seen before. He took his elbow and lifted the trunk door, and I helped him put Riley inside.

“Can I go now?” I asked, being able to stop the sobs for a second, backing away as he shut the trunk and then walked over and pressed a button on the wall, opening up the door.

“Not yet. Get in.” He said and walked around to the driver’s side. I was getting sick of this. I helped him load my friend into to the trunk like he said, but he still won’t let me go? Of course he isn’t going to let me go, he’s a killer. I can just hope he isn’t like one of those creeps from Funny Games. I got in the passenger’s side, and he looked over at me, a smug smile on his face.

“What?” I spat.

“I just gave you a chance to run away and you didn’t take it.” He said, and I hesitantly reached for the door handle. But he locked the doors. “But it’s too late now. You’re already in the car.” I sighed. “Here,” He reached into the backseat and I flinched slightly, not knowing what he was going to do. I was slightly surprised when he handed me a towel. “No need to get blood everywhere.”

“We’re both soaked in it, dumbass, it’s already everywhere.” I snapped at him, taking the towel from his hands, and trying to get the blood off of my hands. Most of it came off, but my hands were still stained an unnatural pink color. I handed it back to him and he quickly got the blood off of his hands before tossing it under the seat. He backed out of the garage and pulled onto the road. I just stared straight ahead, wondering where he was taking me, and why he was doing this. But isn’t that what every victim of something like this wonders?

“So, you’re Danielle.” He stated, and I looked over at him.

“What the fuck is it to you?” I asked, crossing my arms over my chest as I glared at him.

“Nothing really, just…curious as to who’s my victim slash partner in crime.” He said, glancing over at me for a second.

“I’m not your fucking partner in crime, creep, I’m just a person that was in the wrong place at the wrong time.” I said, avoiding his eyes.

“You sound a lot like me.” I scoffed at his words.

“What does that mean?” I asked and he sighed.

“The only reason I’m doing this is because I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sort of like that’s why you’re helping me.” He said, and I wanted to laugh.

“I’m only doing this because I had no choice, because you threatened to kill me with a fucking butcher knife.” I said, and he nodded.

“Right. But I’m still threatening to kill you with a butcher knife if you don’t listen to me.” He said, taking the knife out from under the seat. I slowly pressed myself up against the door and he put the knife back under his seat. “I don’t want to hurt you, you know.”

“I’m just about at the point of asking you to hurt me just so we can get this over with.” I said and he looked over at me with a curious expression.

“Get what over with?”

“You killing me. Isn’t that what you’re going to do after I help you dispose of my best friend? Slit my throat then probably burn me too?” I asked and he shook his head.

“No, it’s not. Danielle, I’m not going to kill you unless you give me a reason to. Riley, he was a different story.” The man looked back at the road.

“Why did you do it? Why did you kill him? He was only a kid.” I watched the man, my tone suddenly softening.

“What you may or may not have known about Riley was, he got a drug lord busted not too long ago. Stumbled into the place, got held hostage for a few hours, then he escaped. How? Hell, I don’t even know.” He sighed, and I stared at him intently, not exactly sure if I could trust his words. Riley never told me about this, though he didn’t like for me to worry, so he could have very well kept it from me. “Most of us got away before the cops came-”

“Most of you?” I asked and he nodded.

“I was a guard. I protected Chase, I gave a vow to put him in front of everything else in my life. Family. Wife. …Daughter.” His voice cut off, but then he continued. “He was busted, along with five other guys that were in the same position I was in. Forced to protect him because somehow, in some way, we owed him something, and in order for us to keep our families safe, we had to keep him safe. I got a call from him when he was in prison. He didn’t have very many of us still on the outside, just me and two other guys. He called me because I was his right hand man, but he had also managed to get in contact with the other two guys too. He said that I had to kill Riley, or he’d get Brian and Jimmy to kill my family.” He paused again, this time for longer than the last.

“So what, killing Riley is your way out of this?” I asked and he shook his head.

“I’m not done yet. I refused at first, because he looked to be only about sixteen or seventeen, so Chase said fine, and hung up. I tried to call him back though, and tell him I’d do it, but I couldn’t get a hold of him again. Then two days later I came home to find Michelle and our unborn daughter dead.” His voice was suddenly cut off, and he took a deep breath. “It was all his fault. If he hadn’t of walked in on the warehouse, and gotten Chase thrown in jail then I wouldn’t have been given the fucking choice to choose rather him or my family, and everything would be what I’ve come accustomed to calling fine.” He said, his hands clenching the steering wheel so hard I didn’t know what would break first, the wheel, or his knuckles. “I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time to answer that damn phone. I was late for work, but before I could run out the door the phone rang, and I had to answer it before it woke Michelle up. If I had gotten out of the door on time I wouldn’t have gotten to the phone and everything would’ve been okay. Now I could possibly go to jail for first degree murder, if I ever get caught. I’m only twenty one, if Michelle was still here I could have a life ahead of me, but not anymore.”

“I-I’m sorry.” I said, actually feeling bad for the guy. I was still hurt deeply that he had killed one of my close friends, but hearing why he did it, and everything that guy put him through has somehow broken through the hurt some.

“No, I’m sorry for dragging you into this. I shouldn’t let my anger get the best of me.” He said, and I looked back at him.

“I-I don’t know your name.” I said and he looked over at me, and then sighed. “I’m not going to turn you into the cops or anything, so don’t worry.”

“You seem harmless enough.” He muttered. “I’m Matt.”

“You know, I’m actually kind of sad to say it isn’t nice to meet you under these circumstances.” I said, and he let out a chuckle.

“That’s just what I was thinking.” He said, and we drove in silence for a moment. Just as we were reaching the outskirts of Huntington, I saw red and blue flashing lights in the mirror. “Shit.” Matt muttered, and pulled over. “Don’t say anything, don’t scream, don’t try and get help or I swear to god-”

“I know, I know, you’ll slit my throat, no need to say it again.” I muttered, and he nodded. He took off his sunglasses as the officer approached the window. He knocked twice and Matt rolled the window down.

“Can I help you officer?” He asked, his voice taking on a much nicer tone than just a few seconds ago. It was pitch black where we had pulled over, and the officer didn’t have a flashlight, so I could only hope that he didn’t notice our blood splattered clothes. It being Halloween was a big help with that fact.

“Do you realize how fast you were driving?” The officer asked.

“Uh, no sir, I’m sorry to say I don’t.” Matt answered.

“Fifteen miles over the speed limit. Why were you in such a hurry?” He asked, and Matt hesitated, not knowing what to say. “Well?” The officer pushed.

“M-my little brother is at a friend’s house.” I began as the officer looked over at me, along with Matt. “He just called us, asking to come pick him up. We were just trying to get over there because he sounded upset.” I said, and the officer nodded.

“I see.” The officer nodded, and thought for a second. “Since its Halloween, I guess I can let you two slide, but keep it at the right speed, got it?” The officer looked at Matt, and he nodded.

“Will do.” Matt said with a small smile.

“You two be careful, there are all kinds of creeps lurking around on nights like this. Dangerous people.” He had no fucking clue who he was talking to. “Don’t stay out too late. You two have a good one.” He said, and stood up straight before walking away. Matt leaned forward against the steering wheel, after the officer drove off, his breathing heavy.

“You’re the greatest person that could’ve walked into that house tonight.” He breathed, and sat up straight, looking over at me. “Thanks.” He said and I nodded.

“Can we just go get rid of the body?” I asked, really wanting him to let me go, and he nodded. We pulled off of the curb and continued, turning down a dirt road. “Where are we going?”

“This big hill, called the Drop Off. You drop something down the hill, and no one knows where it goes. He’ll just disappear.” Matt said and I nodded. This is like a hellish episode of Masters Of Horror.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
We drove in silence, the officer seeming to have killed whatever little conversation we had started. Once we reached the Drop Off, Matt got out, and instructed me to do the same. I stepped out, immediately regretting not grabbing my jacket on the way out of my house earlier this evening. I shivered slightly as I walked around the car and to the trunk. Matt opened it, revealing Riley lying in the back. I felt my breath hitch in my throat, but I didn’t let those damn tears make a second appearance tonight. I wasn’t about to begin showing my weak side again. I helped Matt get him out of the trunk, and we stood at the top of the hill.

“On the count of three.” Matt said, and I nodded. “One…two…three.” We both let go, and watched as Riley rolled and tumbled down the hill, and into the trees towards the bottom, disappearing out of sight.

“What now?” I asked, looking over at Matt.

“I could let you go, with threats to keep an eye on you and kill you if you ever speak a single word of this night…” He trailed off, and then looked at me. “Or I could throw you down the hill too.” He said and I sighed.

“Is there a third option, or were those just rhetorical to get my hopes up that you’ll let me go but you’re going to throw me down the hill anyways?” I asked, hoping there was maybe a third option. Though I’d be fine with option one.

“Option three is one that I personally like.”

“What is it?”

“I can invest some trust in you, since you seem like a pretty decent girl, and just rely on your word that you won’t tell. Because I’m tired of threatening you.” He said, and I took a step forward.

“I like that option.” I said and he nodded.

“Me too.” He whispered.

“I…I won’t tell anybody. I should, but I won’t.” I said, giving him a small smile.

“Alright.” He said and I began walking off, but he stopped me. “Where are you going?” he asked, grabbing my arm.

“Home. You said I could go.” I said and he shook his head.

“Yes I did, but I’m not going to let you walk home by yourself. You could run into some kind of murderer or-” He stopped as he realized what he was saying.

“If you don’t remember, I have run into a murderer, matter of fact, I’ve cooperated with that murderer in desperate hopes that he will let me go unharmed.” I said, and he nodded.

“Right, but still, get in the car, I’ll drive you back.” He said and I thought about it for a moment before giving in. He seemed like an okay guy, besides the whole situation we were in, so I got back in his Escalade, and he got in the driver’s side, and then remembered something. He searched around under his seat for a second before finding the knife, and grabbing the towel. He got out, and I watched as he walked around, then tossed them down the hill, and came back and got back in. He shut his door and drove off back down the road.

“So what happens to you now?” I asked Matt and he shrugged.

“I don’t know. I guess I’ll go back home and try to get to sleep.” I was shocked by his words.

“You just killed a guy, and threatened to kill me, and now you’re telling me you’re just going to go home and sleep it off?” I asked and he nodded.

“It’s not like anyone’s going to find out who did it, I have nothing to worry about. Except for the blood soaked trunk, but I’m going to meet up with Jimmy tomorrow and we’re going to burn this old piece of junk to ashes, so, yea, I’m going to go home and get some much needed rest.” He said simply.

“You’re not going to flee the country or anything?” I asked, and he shook his head.

“No, Brian and Jimmy mentioned something about us maybe migrating to Florida for a while, just to get out of this god forsaken place for a while, so we may head off that way tomorrow.” He said and I nodded, but I wasn’t sure about this strange feeling that was bubbling up inside of me. It was…it was a twinge of disappointment that he would be gone tomorrow, and there was a huge chance I would never see him again. I wasn’t sure how to react to this feeling, it didn’t feel right. He just killed one of my friends and now I’m sad that he’s leaving the state tomorrow? Oh my god, I know what it is, that last little thread of sanity was just cut lose.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
After his last sentence we both fell silent, I was thinking about what in the hell was wrong with me, and he was pre-occupied by the road. I felt a wave of something indescribable wash over me as we finally pulled up at my house.

“Sorry for the shit I’ve put you through.” Matt said as I opened my door.

“Well, I think I can safely say this is one Halloween I’ll never forget.” I said, and he nodded.

“Me too. Bye.” He said, forcing a smile.

“Bye.” I said, and got out, shutting the door. I looked up at my house, already hearing my parents inside, in another one of their fights. I took a deep breath and walked up the small walk and up the stairs. I opened the front door, and heard my parents in the kitchen. I walked through the living room and to the kitchen.

“It’s not my fault we left her here all alone! It was your idea Gavin!” My mother screamed, not noticing me peeking around the corner into the kitchen.

“I am so sorry that you drug me off to that god damn party, Lisa!” My father yelled back. Fuck this. I ran from the kitchen, and up the stairs. I went to my closet and grabbed my backpack, dumping out all of the school stuff and cramming a bunch of clothes into the pack before going over and grabbing my iPod and charging cables for it, and my laptop. I shoved my laptop into the bag, threw it over my shoulder, and then ran back down the stairs. I grabbed my coat from beside the door, and then my parents noticed me.

“Oh god, Danielle! You’re okay!” My mom hugged me, then pulled away, her hands on my shoulders, and fear and concern in her eyes. “You’re covered in blood!” She squealed.

“Danielle, are you okay?! Where have you been?!” My dad then began with the questions.

“Just shut up!” I screamed. “I can’t take you two anymore! This fighting and screaming and yelling is driving me to my fucking grave!” I screamed at them, and my mother stepped back. “I’m leaving with a guy I met tonight, don’t try to come and find me.” I said and opened the door, but then turned back to them. “Maybe if you two can work out your fucking issues, I’ll come back.” I said, and slammed the door. Matt was just now pulling away, thankfully he hadn’t left yet. “Matt!” I yelled, running after him. He stopped and I ran over, getting in the passenger’s side.

“Is everything okay?” He asked and I shook my head.

“My parents are going down, and slowly taking me with them. I can’t take it anymore.” I looked over at him. “Take me with you. Give me an escape from this hell I call a life.” I begged.

“You really want to do this? I mean, leave all of your friends behind and possibly never come back?” He asked, and I nodded.

“My friends are complete assholes, and this town is a dead end.” I said and he smiled.

“I was hoping you’d say that.” He said and I put my backpack in the backseat as he continued down the road.

“Why did you stay in front of my house for so long? I half expected you to be gone by the time I came out.” I looked over at him and he shrugged.

“I was kind of thinking about going in there and getting you.” He said and I looked at him curiously.

“Why?”

“I was actually kind of worried, and it wasn’t that I didn’t trust that you’d keep this all to yourself, but it was that there’s something about you that I really like, that…that I didn’t want to let go.” He looked over at me, and I smiled.

“There’s something about you that I really like too.” I said and he turned back to the road, taking in a deep breath.

“So, we’re heading to Florida tomorrow, you okay with that?” He asked and I nodded.

“I’m more than okay with that.” I said more than thrilled with the fact that I’d finally get out of this damn town that was leading me nowhere but an early grave.

“You okay going with two of the craziest fuckers you’ll ever meet?” I could only guess he was talking about those two guys Jimmy and Brian.

“Considering all I’ve been through tonight I feel like I can run through a brick wall, so bring it on. They can’t be any worse than you.” I said with a smirk, earning a light laugh from him.

“I can already see the beginning of a beautiful friendship here.” He said, resting a hand on my arm.

“Me too.” I smiled, and he let his hand slide down to hold mine, and my smile grew.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
The next day, I met his friends Jimmy and Brian. They were okay guys, and Brian wasn’t as crazy as Matt had said, but Jimmy was a little off his rocker, though he was one of the nicest people I’d ever met. It had me slightly curious on how three guys like them could get caught up in a drug lord’s dangerous game. They looked the part, but their personalities were off the rail. We got rid of the car, and then rode with Jimmy Brian to the airport, where we got on a plane and went off to Florida. Matt and I, we didn’t really know what we were doing, we didn’t know what was happening, and we didn’t know what would become of us, but one thing we did know was that we never wanted to leave each other’s sides. What Matt did didn’t even bother me as much as I expected it to. It barely even affected me at all, Riley was a fun person to be around, but he never really lived on the nice side of life, he was a friend, but in a way, a shitty one. If losing Riley was what it took for me to find Matt, then I have no problem with that. We met under the scariest and craziest circumstances, but now we’re best friends, slowly becoming more.
♠ ♠ ♠
Contest Entry

Well, there it is.

xoxo, Saleigh

Alright guys, if you read this, and liked it, I turned it into a chapter story, so if you like this, and want to read more, then go check it out.