Status: Active.

You Think You're So Great

Chapter 11

Braydens POV

It was now February second, and Brayden’s alarm clock beeped at 8:00 am and Brayden groggily hit the off button and dragged himself out of bed. Before he could walk downstairs his mom knocked on his door. “Are you up Brayden?” she asked and continued walking down the hallway. He made his way downstairs for a quick breakfast then took a quick shower.
“Shit,” Brayden mumbled as he tried to find his tie, which was nowhere to be found. “Mooom,” Brayden yelled and his mom quickly arrived to his door. “What?” she asked. “Where’s my tie?” Brayden replied. His mom then looked right beside Brayden and saw it, she pointed “There.”. Brayden looked beside him and felt stupid. “Sorry.” he said sheepishly. She left and he picked up the tie and quickly got it on. Then he sat on his bed, and for the first time that day, he actually thought about the trial. He thought about how bad it would be if he got convicted, he thought about his old cell mate, he got a sick feeling in his stomach at the thought of it. He got up seeing it was 9:30 and got in his car to head to court.

Emily’s POV

I watched out the window at the falling snowflakes as we made our way to court. I had been thinking about it and I had come to the conclusion I didn’t want Brayden to go to prison. No matter what he’d done to me or how much, I knew in my right mind, he deserved to be in prison, I couldn’t stand the thought of him in there. Am I falling for the guy who had raped me? I asked myself and shivered at the thought. Maybe I was… and in that moment I knew what I had to do.

We had just pulled into the parking lot and hurried inside away from the cold to find my lawyer. “Emily,” I heard behind me, there was my lawyer, I walked over and awkwardly shook his outstretched hand. “Emily, do you remember how to answer the questions the defense throws at you?” he asked. “Y-yes.” I stuttered. Knowing I wasn’t going to be answering the questions the way he wanted. We all then headed into the courtroom and I took my seat, nervous about being called up to the witness stand to give my side of the story. I didn’t know how these things worked but I hoped I’d get to speak first, to avoid more trouble. Before I had realized it, the trial had begun. I watched the prosecutor present the evidence against Brayden.
“… the semen from the rape kit matches the DNA sample taken from Mr. Schenn.” While saying this she pointed to Brayden. My stomach churned. I then heard someone say something about talking to witnesses. I felt sick.

They called Brayden up to the stand and I wondered if he was going to admit what he’d done. Once Brayden got seated the questions began. “Mr. Schenn,” the prosecutor begun, “where were you on the night of December 15th 2011?” The room was quiet. “I was at the Blades game, playing in it.” The prosecutor nodded and continued. “Maybe I should have been more precise, where were you around 12:43 am on the 16th?”I watched Brayden waiting for his reply. “I-I was in a hotel room,” The prosecutor continued, “Were you with anyone?” Brayden nodded, “Who?” the prosecutor asked. Brayden hesitated…“Emily,” he said then pointing at me. Our eyes locked for a moment and I knew he was scared. I then heard bits and pieces of him telling the court what had happened in a less brutal way than it actually had. I looked at my feet and drowned out his explaining of the second attack. Before I knew it I was being called to the stand.

Brayden’s POV

Brayden sat there, seemingly sweating buckets. His hands were very moist and he already had pit stains. He knew the evidence they had against him was going to be hard to get around. At this moment he realized he had no idea how he was going to do it. Brayden looked up from his seat and saw Emily seated at the stand, he noticed she looked extremely nervous. The prosecutor began questioning her. “Please identify the man that raped you.” She looked at me and pointed to me. “Please take note Emily identified Brayden Schenn.” The prosecutor said. I looked at Emily as she began talking again, “B-but he didn’t rape me, it-it was consensual…” She looked like she was about to cry, in that moment I’d never felt guiltier for what I had done, but I knew how I was and I knew the feeling would go away, I knew I’d start to believe she wanted it again and turn into the horrible person I tried so hard to keep away. I heard a gasp throughout the court room as everyone processed what she had said.

The judge spoke. “Without Emily’s statement the trial can’t continue, I have to declare this a mistrial.” Everyone watched him. “Case adjourned.” As people got up Brayden saw Emily, now crying, run out of the courtroom and he wanted so badly to go after her, not to do anything bad to her, but to comfort her. he knew he loved her, and that’s why he’d done what he’d done. Before he knew what he was doing he was running after Emily, pushing through all the reporters. He finally found her, standing cold in the snow a block away from the courthouse. He slowly approached her. “Emily,” he said softly and she turned around. “W-what are you doing here?” she asked. He got closer to her and took her hand.

Emily’s POV

After he took my hand I realized I wasn’t scared of him anymore and I looked up at him as he spoke. “Emily, I wanted to tell you how sorry I am. There’s something wrong with me and sometimes I can’t control that part of myself. What I did to you was that side of me’s fucked up way of saying I like you.” He paused “I know I’ll never have a chance with you now but I just thought you should know that.” Tears were welling up in my eyes as I moved closer to him. “I like you too.” I whispered, wondering if I’d regret what I was going to do next. I kissed him and he kissed me back, his arms wrapping around my waist. In the back of my mind some thoughts of my past with him still lingered. These hands are the same ones who hurt me, that face is the one I saw on top of me, this person is the same person who saw what he wanted… and took it by force… I pushed the thoughts aside and let him hold me, not even remembering the fact my parents probably hated me now, along with the whole city of Saskatoon.
♠ ♠ ♠
I don't know if you like how this chapter turned out... but I do because I have a twisted way of thinking about romance.