Status: Active.

You Think You're So Great

Chapter 8

“Uuugh,” Brayden moaned in pain when he woke up, he was still lying on his cot with his pants down, he quickly managed to pull them up and he then proceeded to lay back down, with that came another moan of pain. He brought his hand to his face to feel where his cellmate had hit him earlier, and then he remembered all that had happened and he felt sick. Then, afraid his cellmate was still there waiting to do it again, he looked around the cell nervously and was relieved to see his cellmate was no longer there. Brayden ran his fingers through his sweat dried hair and sat up on the cot then the cell door opened, it was a guard. “Schenn, the nurse needs to see you.” The guard motioned him to come. Brayden stood up and realized just how rough his cellmate had been earlier, but he suppressed and sounds of pain he might would have let escape. The guard cuffed him and led him to the nurse’s office.

The nurse was an older woman, she was short and pale. She motioned for Brayden to go sit on the examination table, she then walked over to him and began cleaning the cut on his face from where his cellmate hit him. “How did this happen?” she startled Brayden with the question and he jumped. “I, uh, got hit by my cellmate.” He told her reluctantly. “Oh,” she said as she got out some tools to stitch his cut up with. “Did anything else happen between you two?” she asked concernedly, as if she already knew and she was just waiting for him to tell him. Brayden thought for a quick second, “No,” he said promptly. She looked away from the cut to his eyes and sighed, as if she understood. “You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to but it would be best to get checked out by a doctor.” She said, giving him a choice. “Where’d my cellmate go?” Brayden asked, wanting to change the subject. Brayden looked at the nurse worriedly as she finished stitching up his face. “He’s in solitary confinement, he’ll be back in a few days, and what he did to you—it’s not taken seriously here.” The nurse left and a guard escorted Brayden back to his cell. Brayden fell onto his cot face first and waited until he could go shower. When Brayden returned to his cell after his much needed shower his lawyer was there with a suit and told Brayden to change, and that he had arraignment today.

Brayden fumbled with changing into his suit, he was now forgetting what had happened earlier and starting to get nervous about his trial. Brayden’s hands were shaking badly and it took him all of five minutes just to tie his tie. Pretty soon the guards came and escorted him out of the jail and into the van that would take him to the courthouse where he’d meet up with his lawyer.

Emily’s point of view

My mom, my sister, and I stood outside the courthouse and it had begun snowing minutes ago, the first snow of the winter, and that was very strange for Saskatoon. I tried to stop my teeth from chattering as I saw Brayden being led out of a department of corrections van in handcuffs. “There he is,” I stated to my mother and sister. I watched him being led down the walkway and noticed the stitches on his face. I then heard him say something to the guard that was leading him and his voice sounded shaky, like he was actually scared right now.

After he was well into the courthouse in front of us, we went up the stairs into the much warmer courthouse. Inside the main lobby my lawyer quickly found us and led us into the room where Brayden’s arraignment would take place. We quietly slipped into the seats behind where my lawyer and the District Attorney were sitting. I noticed the media outside the courtroom just before the bailiff closed the doors. Brayden turned around and he looked at me and mouthed the words “I’m sorry,” I quickly looked away from him. he didn’t just tell me he was sorry, did he? I thought worriedly. I didn’t have much time to think about it, court proceedings were beginning. “Brayden Schenn, you are being charged with two counts of rape in the second degree, do you understand these charges as they have been read to you?” the judge asked him. Brayden nodded his head. I couldn’t stop watching Brayden, he kept looking around nervously and shifting in his standing position. I felt bad for him in that moment. I looked away from him and over to where his parents were sitting, they seemed like such good people, like they didn’t belong here or could have a son like Brayden.

My attention was brought back onto the actual arraignment just as they begun his bail setting. “I think he shouldn’t get bail, I believe he’s at risk of raping someone again,” the DA said. “There’s no proof he’s guilty yet your honor, no bail is unjust.” Brayden’s lawyer had a good rebuttal, a good enough one to get his bail set at ten thousand dollars. I was sure his parents were going to post it because after all, they were rich. “Court is adjourned until trial, which is set at February second, that’s two weeks from now.” The judge informed everyone. I watched as Brayden was once again cuffed and being led out of the courthouse, this time he looked slightly relieved. As I was watching him he turned his head towards me and his face was one of sympathy. I really felt bad for him then, but I couldn’t believe it, I felt bad for the guy who raped me, not once, but twice. I was shaken away from my thoughts as my sister and mother moved ahead of me to get up and out of the courtroom. We finally got out of the crowded courthouse and it was just in time to see Brayden being led back into the van that would take him to the jail again. I just shook my head as we navigated the crowded parking lot.

“He shouldn’t have gotten bail if you ask me,” my mother broke the silence in the car. My sister nodded in agreement and they looked at me, like they were waiting for me to say something. “Yeah, I guess he shouldn’t have.” I said reluctantly. I looked at the snow falling from the car window silently until we pulled into the driveway and I could be alone.