Status: Active.

You Think You're So Great

Chapter 9

“Get up,” the guard shouted at Brayden, causing him to jump. “Your parents posted your bail,” he told him. Brayden stood up in his cell, still in pain from what had happened the day before. Brayden was led out of the cell and the jail, and the guard uncuffed him—he was finally free, but it wasn’t over yet and he knew that. For now he was just glad to be out of the cell, the one his cellmate would eventually return to. The officers at the front desk returned Brayden’s things they’d taken when they processed him. He then saw his parents sitting in the waiting area and walked over to them. “Can we go now?” He asked. His parents, not saying a word, got up and followed him as he began to walk out the doors.

“Did I get kicked off the team?” Brayden asked his dad once they were in the car. “I don’t know, call your coach.” His dad responded. Brayden picked up the bag his things were in a fished around in it until he found his phone. He turned it on but decided to wait until he was home to call his coach. “How do you feel about seeing a psychiatrist?” Brayden’s thoughts were interrupted with his mother’s question. “Uh, why?” he asked, confused. “It’s a court order, they called us and told us you had to earlier,” Brayden knew he couldn’t argue with a court order—he’d found that out the hard way. “Alright, I will. When?” he said. “Tomorrow at 3pm.” The rest of the ride was silent, when the car pulled into the driveway Brayden realized how much he’d missed home, how much he’d missed freedom. He hoped and prayed he wasn’t going to get it taken away again.

Brayden woke up to a loud beeping alarm clock, it was 9:00am. He sat up and reached for his phone. He’d just remembered he was going to call his coach and scrolled through his contacts and found the number. ”Hello?” he heard his coaches voice on the other line, “Hi, it’s Brayden.” Brayden responded quietly, “Am I still on the team or…?” Brayden added. ”Well, about that, no you’re not, it’s just, it wouldn’t look good for the team Brayden, have you not seen the news or the newspaper?” Brayden’s eyes fell at the news, hockey was his life and he’d fucked it all up because he’d wanted to get laid. “I-I understand coach,” his coach cut him off, ”But Brayden, if you’re proven not guilty you can join the team again, because we need you,” Brayden saw this as a glimmer of hope, “Thanks coach,” Brayden said then ended the call.

Brayden just remembered what his coach said, have you not seen the news or newspaper? uh-oh Brayden thought what were they saying about him? he wondered. He went downstairs and found his dad’s newspaper on the kitchen table. Brayden’s jaw dropped when he saw his face on the front cover and the headline; ’Local hockey star on trial’, Brayden continued reading the article and it told about how he was charged with two counts of rape, how he went to arraignment, and when his trial was. He was glad nobody really knew about what had happened in the jail cell, he wanted to keep it that way. Brayden sat the newspaper on the table and walked over to the counter to get a cup of coffee. Someone tapped on Brayden’s shoulder and he jumped, dropping and breaking the cup his coffee was in. He turned around and it was just his dad, “are you okay?” his dad asked, Brayden still had a look of fear on his face. “Yeah,” Brayden said as he knelt down to pick up the broken pieces of the cup. “Remember you have that psychiatrist’s appointment today at 3,” his dad reminded him and made his way to the living room.

Brayden had finished cleaning up the mess and had gone back upstairs. Brayden laid on his bed looking at the ceiling. He really did feel bad for what he did to Emily, but he still couldn’t understand why it was bad. He knew why what the guy in jail did to him was bad but that was because he hadn’t wanted it. Emily wanted it because I’m Brayden Schenn, right? he thought to himself. He had dozed off until 2:30 and quickly woke up when he realized he was almost late. He quickly jogged down the stairs and grabbed his car keys off the hook and headed out the door. He drove across town to the office and found a parking spot right in front. He got out and made his way through the double doors of the office. He checked in and waited for them to call him back.

“Brayden, the doctor will see you now,” the lady had opened the door and motioned for him to follow her, he got up and followed her to the last room on the right. “Sit down, Dr. Melendez will be with you in a moment.” Brayden sat and held his hands nervously in his lap. “Hi Brayden, I’m Dr. Melendez, where would you like to get started?” she spoke as she sat in the chair across from him. Brayden averted his eyes, he’d never been so nervous with people before. Dr. Melendez broke the silence, “Let’s start with why you’re here,” she paused and looked through some papers she’d been holding, “Here it is!” she exclaimed “Okay, so you’re here because of a court order, it says here you display traits of narcissism.” She looked up at him, he was doing everything he could to avoid eye contact. “Can we talk about what you were charged with Brayden?” Dr. Melendez asked him nicely. “Um, sure,” he said reluctantly. “You’ve been charged with two counts of rape and in the police report the victim said you kept saying things like ‘you know you love this’ and ‘you know you want this’,” she told him informatively, “can you tell me why you said those things?” she continued. “Well, I-I’m Brayden Schenn, everybody wants me, right?” he told her sincerely. Then he paused for a moment “I don’t understand why Emily would charge me with rape, I mean, it wasn’t rape if everybody wants me!” Brayden exclaimed, with a tone that told you he truly believed this. The psychiatrist was writing on her notepad furiously, when she finished she looked at Brayden. “Do you really believe that?” Brayden thought for a moment. Do I believe that? he thought, “Yes, I do.” He told Dr. Melendez. She wrote more on her notepad and flipped through her papers. “Brayden, I can assure you the victim did not want to have sex with you, if she had you would have found no need to hit her nor would she have found a reason to fight you,” Brayden furrowed his brow, this was new information to him, maybe that’s why I felt guilty for what I did after what happened to me, he thought. He shook his head.

She looked up at Brayden. “You display all the traits of severe narcissistic personality disorder,” before Brayden could ask her what that meant, because he was wondering it, she spoke again “it means you’re very selfish, you will hurt others to get what you want because you believe you are more important, and unfortunately the cause for this is unknown,” Brayden was offended by this “Who the fuck do you think you are to tell me that?” he blurted out. “Ah, see, any narcissistic person would get offended by that,” Brayden calmed himself down. “Well how do I fix it?” he asked. “Therapy. I can put you in contact with a therapist who specializes in your disorder,” she told him. “Please, do that. I don’t want to hurt anyone else,” he told her honestly. She nodded and slid a paper across the desk to him to sign so she could share her notes about him with the courts. Brayden signed it and slid it back across.

Dr. Melendez got up and motioned for him to follow her out. When they got to the front desk she left him with the desk attendant. “We can get you in for a follow up in a week, February third at 1:00pm, will that work?” the desk attendant asked him. “Uhh… depends on how my trial goes on the second, but other than that, that time should work.” He told her. The lady gave him a card with the time on it and he left. She didn’t want it, he thought. She didn’t.