Status: Finished

Imperfect

Design

I have two older siblings, Annalise and Jean-Paul. My mother, clearly, has a thing for French names. Annalise is 20, with my mother’s looks and singing voice. She was elected Most Popular every year, and guys love her.
But Annalise would have none of that. She’s been dating the same nice, funny, smart, hot guy since sophomore year of high school.
His name is Lee and everyone in my family loves him. They’re both going to Yale for a second year, and they both have a scholarship.
Annalise is perfect-she’s my Mom’s favorite. Jean Paul, my 19 year old brother, is also good looking, with my dad’s dark hair but mom’s blue eyes. He’s 6’2 and works out every day. Every sport he ever tried he excelled at.
Mostly he plays football, basketball, and soccer. Colleges have been begging for him too, and he’s going to BC on full scholarship. Jean Paul is going to study neuroscience, so he can help people when he graduates. Jean Paul is Dad’s favorite.
The sad thing is I can’t hate my siblings. I love them too much, and they adore me, treat me like I’m their favorite person.
Mom sent me to my room the second we got home, face still white with rage. I ran upstairs to my room, the only place that was really me.
I spent my life outside faking it, pretending I wasn’t quiet and introverted. Nobody but family was ever allowed in.
My walls are painted a deep black, wall papered with the pages of books. It’s very tidy-I’m a bit of a neat freak. My bed is shades of gray, and pearls hang from it.
I truly love pearls. My bookshelves are creamy white, also dotted with pearls. I designed the entire thing-if there’s a talent I have, it’s design.
Annalise had me do her room-It’s a buttery yellow fading into delicate pink, then orange. Her bed has ruby red covers.
Long glass rods come from the back, so it looks like the sun is rising from her bed. I can remember how happy she was when she first saw it.