Status: Finished

Imperfect

Kiss Me

I would have headed right to Rest Period after that, but I heard voices in the hallway. I’m not usually one to eavesdrop, but it was Crystal and Thayer, and I was curious about them. “Thay. I thought you promised you would behave,” she whispered.
His back was to me, but I could see him shrug. “Stuff happened, Crys.” She poked his chest, making him lean back. “I need to get better, Thay. I can’t have you following me everywhere I go, starting up trouble again.” He slumped and her eyes softened. “Crys, I can’t live without you. They...they took you away from me while I was sleeping. I woke up and thought you were dead. I freaked out.” “Oh, Thay. Did you...?”
He nodded. “I set the house on fire again.” He pulled up his sleeves to show arms shiny with burn scars. “And so they sent you here,” Crystal finished. “After I got out of the hospital. Fire will always be our weakness,” he said.
She gave him a sad smile and wrapped her arms around his waist. “But we’re back together again. The terrible two.” They laughed and let go of each other. I walked away before they could see me, feeling suddenly lonely.

The next day I was really excited for Design. Mr. James was waiting for me. He was just as I remembered-tall, slender, elegant, hair tied back in a ponytail, nondescript face. He wore a purple suit. There were three silver rings in each of his ears. The room behind him was dim, though I could faintly see the outline of furniture.
He smiled at me and nodded. “Hello, Belle.” “Hi.” He waved a long fingered hand at the edge of the screen. “The computer next to you is what you’ll create the actual designs on.” “Okay.” “How are you?”
He glanced past me and smirked. “Or am I not allowed to ask anything personal?” “No, I don’t mind. I’m doing well, thank you.” “Good, good. Now, let’s begin.” I spent the rest of Design in a flurry of activity.

Later that day, during Group Therapy, Ms. Triss tried to coax Thayer out of his skull again. It was kind of pathetic, actually. She was nervous around him-her eyes never left his face. People chattered on as he sat there with an arm around Crystal, eyes flicking lazily from person to person.

At Rest Period Thayer sat with us. He was staring at Jamie with a weird twist to his mouth. Jamie’s back was turned to him though, so I don’t think he could see it. I wondered how Thayer felt about sharing his sister. Aven distracted me by brushing his hand through my hair.
“You have nice hair, Belle,” he murmured. “Soft, thick, kinda sexy.” I glanced at him from the corner of my eye. “Sexy?” “Yeah. I can picture you on your back with your hair all tangled, or wrapping it around my wrist to pull you in for a kiss. I can imagine you naked with only your hair to cover you, Belle.”
I was sure I was blushing madly. I was all I could do not to climb on his lap and kiss him right there. “Uh...” He shrugged and shifted so we were pressed together. “Just a few thoughts I’ve been having,” he whispered, letting his teeth brush my earlobe. I shivered, and I could sense his grin.
Aven slipped a hand around my waist and left it there, tapping lightly at my hipbone. “Aven,” I hissed, giggling. He smirked at me, knowing we were invisible. The corner we were in was dark, and his body blocked mine. He lay his head on my collarbone, mouth an inch from my skin. I could feel the warmth of his breath.
I was almost ready to just kiss him, end the tension, but the bell rang and he rolled away from me and stood. He gave me a lopsided grin and bowed slightly. “Night, Belle.” “Night.” I dreamed of Aven’s mouth against my skin that night.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please message me or comment. :)