Status: Finished

Imperfect

END

It was about three in the afternoon on a Sunday. I was on a treadmill that Jean-Paul (ever the health nut) had bought me. I wore a sports bra and shorts, sneakers, my hair up in a ponytail. I was sweating. The doorbell rang and I got off, pulling a towel around my shoulders. When I opened the door I almost had a heart attack.
Aven stood before me. He looked good. He’d gained weight, filling out his face. His eyes were warm and happy, a smile tugging at his lips. He didn’t look nearly so haggard anymore, the desperation gone from his eyes. He wore gray jeans and a red Vans tee. The piercings I’d imagined were back in, glinting at his eyebrows and mouth.
I realized, then, just how much I’d been in love with him. How much I still love him. “Hey, Belle. You look great.” I grinned and threw my arms around him. “Aven! You look....It’s been months! How’d you find me?” “Walt told me,” he said, looking guilty. “I wanted to come earlier, but...” I tilted my head, wondering what he wanted to say.
I waved a hand anyway. “I understand. I’m just happy you found me. Come inside!” I led him in and closed the door, apologizing for my appearance. “You look beautiful, Belle,” he said softly, making my heart pound. I turned to him. “Look, Belle, there’s something I wanted to say.” He took a deep breath.

“I told myself to stay away from you. I don’t...always have the best relationships. I thought I could resist, get lost in my band, but...” He coughed and scruffed his hair, looking down. “I couldn’t stay away. You’re hard to forget, Belle.” He tensed, closing his eyes for just a moment as if preparing for bad news.

I kissed him. He tasted like bubblegum. I nibbled at his bottom lip and drew back, biting my own lip. Aven stood still for a second before his golden eyes flew open. He grabbed my hand to pull me closer. “That’s what I have to say about that,” I murmured. “Good. That’s a good response,” he said, smiling down at me as his hands slid to my waist. I pulled the straps of my sports bra off my shoulders and led Aven to my room. There would be time for talking later.
END
♠ ♠ ♠
The end of Imperfect