Status: Finished

Imperfect

Cheap and Ugly

It was the first time I had ever been to therapy, despite my....siblings...constant prodding. Just the thought of them made me grit my teeth, so I focused on Aven in front of me. He walked with a slight lurch, and I realized he limped. Huh.
“What do we do in here?” I asked as Aven pushed open the door. He smiled, using a hand on the small of my back to gently push me in the door. “Just talk. Mostly everyone is pretty cool. “ Still nervous, I was thankful when Walt and Aven sat next to me.
I’ve always had a bit of a problem opening up to people, especially those I don’t know well, which is nearly everyone. I know that’ s normal, but I couldn’t even confide to my oldest friends.
To be honest, I was inwardly panicking at the thought of spilling my emotions in front of strangers. Fuck. I could feel a panic attack coming on, and I grabbed uselessly at my necklace. It was getting hard to breathe.
Then Aven held my shoulders, eyes serious. “Belle? Calm down. Whatever you’re worried about, it’ll be okay.” “But it won’t,” I sobbed, focused on his eyes so at least I could breathe. Aven opened his lips to speak, but a girl on his other side sneered to her friend, “What a pussy.”
Aven’s eyes darkened, and he smiled slightly. With a perfectly calm voice he said, “At least she’s not an ugly whore, Melanie.”
Half the room giggled behind their hands while the rest laughed outright. Melanie’s face was bright red as she tried (and failed) to think of a comeback. Aven winked at me. “See? Everything will be okay. Trust me.” And for some reason, I did.