Breathe No More

The Truth Comes Out

-Jen's POV-

One thing about Brian that I did not miss was his stubborness. He was just as bad as me if not worse. I knew he wouldn't leave until I told him what he wanted to know but if I did I may only put him in more danger. The less he knew the better.

"Just go home Brian. Go home, go to bed, and forget you ever saw me."

"I can't do that." He shook his head and took a step towards me.

I watched him carefully as his eyes were glued to the necklace dangling from my neck. It was a gold apple pendant from Snow White. He had bought it for me when we were sixteen and I had never taken it off. It was the only thing of him I still had.

"You still have it." He whispered as he took the apple between his fingers.

"I never take it off."

He smiled and I did my best to not make eye contact with him. I knew if I didn't I'd be like puddy in his hands and I couldn't do that. Even standing so close to him was making me melt.

"Tell me what's going on Jenna baby."

I closed my eyes at the nickname. Brian was the only person that ever called me that and the only person I'd ever let call me that.

"If I tell you will you go home?"

"Only if you go with me."

I shook my head. "I can't go with you Brian and you cannot tell a soul that you've seen me. Promise me you won't say anything to anyone. Especially the guys." I said finally looking into his eyes for the first time.

He nodded slowly. "Alright, I promise."

I opened my mouth to try to explain the situation to him when I heard footsteps. To a normal person you'd never hear them because it was so far away, miles even, but to me it was as if they were only a few feet away.

"You have to get out of here."

"What? Why? Jen--"

"Damnit Brian just listen to me before you get yourself killed."

"I'm not going to get killed." He said thinking I was joking.

"If you don't leave now they are going to find you and I cannot let that happen."

The footsteps were closer now and if there was any chance of Brian making out of here alive I was going to have to not only tell him my secret but show him as well.

"Do you trust me?" I asked looking at him.

"Of course I do."

Before he could say another word I grabbed him and ran. I could be in his home in less than ten seconds with as fast as I could run. He'd be safe there. No one could enter his home without permission, a rule I broke the night before.

I had him safely in his house before he even realized what had happened. My eyes darted around the area as I stood on the front steps. The threat was now gone and I couldn't have been happier. The only other time Brian was safe was during the day when the sun was out. If only I had the power to make the sunshine all the time.

"How did.." I heard Brian trail off. I turned to him to see an almost scared look on his face.

"You're safe now that's all that matters."

He shook his head. "No.. I still want to know what's going on. Come in and talk to me, please."

Nodding I took a step into his home. He shut the door and went to turn on the light when I reached out to stop him. If he turned the lights on he'd see me for what I was now and I wanted to go into this one step at a time. I didn't want to scare him. The lights in a home would not bother me, they weren't natural sunlight. The sun was my greatest enemy one of which I missed feeling on my skin.

We were now sitting on the couch in his living room. He was still waiting for an answer and I really didn't know how to explain it to him.

"Brian.. it's not easy for me to explain this to you. If anything once you find out you'll run in the other direction but I can't lie to you and I won't." I paused and turned to face him. "On the outside I look very much alive but.. I'm not. My heart stopped beating seven years ago. I don't breathe air anymore and I cannot eat food. I sleep during the day and stay awake all night making sure you are safe. I'm.."

I couldn't even say the word. Mostly because I still didn't believe it myself.

"Are you trying to tell me.. that you're a.. vampire?" Brian laughed.

His laughter stopped when I didn't answer him. I was afraid to look at him. Afraid to see the look on his face but instead of backing away like I thought he would he pulled me into his arms and held me.

"I want to know everything."

We sat there until the early hours of the morning as I told him everything he wanted to know. In a way it felt good to talk to someone about it but at the same time I couldn't help but wonder what he was thinking. I didn't have the power to read minds but I had a power that helped to keep Brian safe.

Sensory location or tracking.

Whether human or vampire I could track either one and know their location in a second. I might as well be a GPS system. Anytime Brian was in danger I'd know exactly where he was and be there before the threat got to him.

"I should never have let you walk home by yourself."

I shook my head and looked at him. "They may have gotten you too if you had."

He frowned and scooted closer to me, our legs now touching. "So all this time.. you've.. you've been protecting me?"

I nodded. "I can't let them get to you. I will not let Gabriella win."

"Who's Gabriella?"

"You could say she's.. like the queen of the vampires and.. she's looking for a new mate. She wants you."

I heard Brian take in a sharp breath. I know he wasn't expecting me to say that.

"Brian they'll stop at nothing until they get you. She practically has a vampire army that will kill anyone to get to you but so far the closest was Nicholas."

"Is Nicholas the one from tonight?"

"Yes. If I hadn't been there..."

"It's not your fault." He said taking my cold hand in his. "You were there and you've been protecting me for the past seven years."

I sighed. "You act like I'm some kind of hero or something. I'm not. I'm a monster."

Brian shook his head. "You are anything but a monster. You are the kindest person I know, vampire or not."

"How can you be so calm about this?"

He smiled. "Because it's you and I promise you I will not tell a soul about any of this. I won't tell anyone I've seen you as long as you promise me something."

"Anything."

"You stay with me."

I shook my head. "I can't."

"Why not?"

"Brian.. I know about Michelle. I can't even imagine how'd you explain to her why I'd be here. I'll just stay outside your window like I have been."

He seemed pretty upset by my answer but I promised that I'd stay close by. He was worried about me and he didn't have to be. I'd fight until the end for him if I had to. No one would take Brian away from me.
♠ ♠ ♠
I changed the layout and I like it a lot better. The last one wasn't dark enough for me. More coming soon.

Comment and Subscribe..

Jen