Status: Comment? Reviews?

Love With No Regrets

Can't make me go

“I don’t care how much time we have I’m staying with you. Don’t you get that you stupid jerk.” I said through my tears looking at the most stubborn and amazing boy I had ever met in my life.

Keith had turn my whole “perfect” little world upside down and made me fall in love. I didn’t believe him when he said I was the worst thing to happen to him. He was just scared because he was still dying of cancer. I knew our time was short but I didn’t care. I just wanted to know that for what ever time we had because I know I was his. We stood there staring at each other and his expression seemed so concentrated. I felt the weight of those eyes feeling like they were looking straight into my soul, like he was truly seeing me not the person I had always seemed to be. Suddenly I was pressed against him as his lips crashed into mine. I felt complete because he was with me and that’s all I had wanted. It felt like hours we had just stood there kissing in the airport for the staged fake goodbye he wanted. I couldn’t let him go though, not like he wanted me to.

“You know partner maybe you’re not the worst that ever happened to me.” He told me trying to catch his breathe.

I laughed as he placed his forehead against mine as I whispered, “Jerk. Let’s go home.”

He picked up his empty suitcase and we headed for the exit hand in hand as our fingers were intertwined holding on for dear life. We walked through the parking lot looking for his old yellow truck and climbed in. Neither of us had to speak to know where we were going as we came upon the old dirt road. We starred up at the stars from the bed of the pick up. It felt so easy to just lay here with him as we talked about absolutely nothing at all.

“You know I still can’t believe that this was your spot all these years and no one else ever found it.” I told him sitting up looking at our surroundings. Across the river was the Brink the town’s hang out spot for high school kids. Before I met Keith I would be over there with the rest of them, but that was before Keith showed me the real me.

“It’s not my spot anymore though. It hasn’t been my spot for a long time.” He told me as he rested his hand on my chin bringing my gaze to meet his. “Natalie this is our spot and it has been since I kissed you that first night.”

We cuddled and kissed as we fell asleep under the stars completely content. The next morning I sat straight up afraid that it had all been a dream and that the cancer had finally caught up with Keith and killed him during the night. The woods were all that surrounded me though comforting me that it had all been true. I felt him sit up and as usual he had that smirk on his face as though he was so sure he knew exactly what I was thinking which he probably did.

“I love you Keith.” I let the words escape mine before I had even a chance to think about them.

Keith’s smirk just seemed to grow but as he started to speak I knew he wouldn’t be saying it back, “Let’s get you home partner.”

We climb back into his truck as we headed for my house, but as we pulled up I didn’t expect my parents to be waiting outside in the front porch. My father took long strides to the truck. “Where the hell have you been Natalie? No call or anything and you were gone all night. I expect this from your brother but not you. What’s gotten into you lately?” my father yelled. I hadn’t even gotten off the car.

“Of course not I mean after all she is the star of the family right. She can never make mistakes or loose track of time and fall asleep.” Keith spoke up never even looking at my dad laughing.

“Who the hell are you? What makes you think you have nay right to say that?” He questioned Keith which seemed to amuse him even more.

“I’m her boyfriend Keith. Afraid we haven’t been going out for too long but we were Chem. partners before this.” He told my father looking him straight in the eyes now.

“Boyfriend? Chem. partner? What happened to Raff and are you the reason why she’s been acting so unlike herself lately?” My father bellowed

“Raff and I are over dad. We have been for a while. Keith isn’t the reason for anything dad so don’t blame him. You don’t know him! He just helped me find myself and do what I never had the guts to do.” I told him firmly.

“Help you find yourself? Natty what lies has he been feeding you. Before he came along you had a good boyfriend in Raff who had a steady head on his shoulders. You had a scholarship for tennis to attend Duke University. This guy comes along and suddenly you’re getting suspended, forfeiting matches, and staying out all night.” My dad was steaming trying to catch his breathe as continued on his rant, “You are not seeing him again. This is over and you are getting out of this truck right this instant. We are going to start working to see if theirs anyway to still get back you’re scholarship.”

He opened the truck door and pulled me out by my arm as I struggled to get out of his grasp yelling at him, “NO I DON’T WANT TO PLAY TENNIS AND I’M NOT ENDING IT WITH KEITH!”

“Let go of her right now.” Keith said standing right by my dad who still had a strong grip on my arm.

“Don’t you tell me what to do. Her life was perfectly fine before you came along and screwed it all up. Now leave and get out of here before I call the cops.” He said glaring down at Keith.

“No, dad stop it. You don’t know what you’re talking about. I love him. Just let me go.” I claimed trying to get out of his grasp.

“I said let her go now. You don’t even know your own daughter. Why don’t you stop making her live out your dreams and let her find her own?” Keith declared as he pushed my father loosing his grip enough for me to get away. Keith grabbed me as I held onto him, and whispered to me, “How about we get out of here, huh?”

I just nodded my head as he opened the door and I climbed inside. My father was again at my door just as Keith was entering on the driver’s side. “Get out of the truck now. Don’t you even think you’re leaving here with him. If you leave with him right now you are no longer my daughter. I’ll pack up your entire wardrobe and leave them on the curb, and I’ll disinherit you. So get out of the truck this instant Natalie.”

Keith was looking at me with this unreadable expression as both he and my dad awaited my answer. I looked straight ahead before I finally replied, “Let’s go Keith. Goodbye father.”

Keith turned the key in the ignition as we drove away leaving my father yelling my name trying to stop me. Suddenly he hit the brakes as we pulled into some parking lot. As he turned off the engine he stared out me. I didn’t turn to face him now knowing what he wanted me to do until he reached out a hand to wipe away my tears. As I looked at him I couldn’t read his expression still but I think part of it was pain.

“We should go back. I can’t do this to you. I’ve screwed up your life enough Natalie. I can’t do this to you and your family. I don’t know how much longer I’ll be able to stay alive and when I die what are you going to do. Are you even thinking this through?” Keith went off. He was about to continue before I beat him to it.

“Yeah I actually was thinking it through. I know what I want and I told you that already. I want to be with you for however long we have. I’m not going to go back to that life where I was living as a perfect little doll. I’m through with that life and I’m happy with the one I have now. No its not perfect but I don’t want perfect. Don’t you see that Keith. Now of what use to matter is important to me anymore.” I told him in disbelief. I was ready for him to continue, but Keith never seemed to always tick to what we planned.

“Fine then lets go back to my house. My dad won’t mind you moving in with us. I’ll go by your house later to pick up your clothes. No turning back now partner, and I love you Natalie.” He said kissing me gently before heading back on the road to his house.

We found his dad outside fixing the other truck I had seen outside the last time I had come over. Keith had an arm around me as he explained to his dad all that had happened. His dad just had a simple bright smile on as he just nodded his head. Keith’s dad was very warm welcoming as he welcomed me into the family. He seemed glad that Keith had me and I knew that here we would be safe. Before I knew it time flew by and graduation was here. My parents didn’t come, but I didn’t care anymore. My older brother brought my little sister though so they could congratulate me. I reassured them that all was fine and left with Keith and Mr. Z to have a celebratory dinner. Keith made his normal remarks as his dad started to take so many pictures of the both of us, but I didn’t mind it. He reminded me a little of my father that way. A few weeks after graduation we we’re just sitting at our spot staring at the water and night sky eating some candy we had brought with us from the house.

When I turned my gaze on Keith he was kneeling as my breathe caught in my throat. Slowly he started speak, “Well partner it was a crazy end of the year. I thought I would have died and be forgotten by now. Instead I found you and love for the first time. I never expected that I mean after all what are the chances. Then again what was the chance you would choose to turn on the road that would lead us to what use to be only my spot. Since that day I knew I was in love with you but I couldn’t admit it. I don’t know how much more life I got in this body but I’m going to listen to you giving you what you want. I’ll give you what we both want, which is to spend the rest of my time together. I’m hoping you’ll do this as my wife Natalie. So what do you say? Will you marry me?”

I just smiled as this was the most romantic thing he had ever told me. Keith wasn’t really one to be romantic but I never mind still my eyes held tears as I whispered, “Yes.”

We didn’t need anything big but we planned a small ceremony for some people we knew but there was just about 20 people. Keith’s was the one to walk me down the aisle as both my parents sent back the simple invitation we sent them just in case. Right after the ceremony we left for London, Ontario. Keith would finally be able to go to the Classic Truck Show they held. We had a wonderful year before he had to go. I enrolled in a community college and stayed close by him. We both knew that his time was coming and when it arrived he went just as we wanted. I was with him holding his hand as I kissed him one last time whispering I love you. Keith wasn’t truly gone though. I could still feel him around me at points and a few months after his death our son was born Keith Jr.