We Can't Wake Up

A Crack in his Façade

Marcus hardly saw Matthew for the next week. He only ever saw him in the common room. Marcus was secretly glad of this. Though Matthew had been useful, he had now clearly gone past his use-by date.

There was no-one around after breakfast on Saturday. Everyone had gone outside to soak up some much needed sun. The castle was quiet and deserted. Marcus wandered silently past a blank space of wall. He smiled tightly as a door appeared. He opened it and walked through. The room was cluttered. Nearly all of the objects were burnt and misshaped. Marcus scowled and walked out of the room angrily.

He walked quickly down to the entrance hall and out into the courtyard. He could hear shouting and a couple of girls screaming from down by the lake. He walked quickly down there to see what was happening.

What he saw filled him with anger. Matthew and Anne were dueling intently. Matthew’s face was a mask of utter hatred. Anne was staring at him with complete concentration as Matthew shot another spell at her.

Marcus quickly pushed his way through the crowd of excited onlookers. “Protego!” he shouted. A shield charm formed itself around Anne and everyone turned to stare at Marcus in surprise.

Matthew sneered. “Come to save her have you Marcus? Your dearly beloved?”

Marcus could hear a couple of people around him tittering at this. Marcus ignored them and kept walking forwards until he was between Matthew and Anne.

“Can’t stand to see her hurt?” Matthew continued. “Well screw you!” he shot a stunning spell at Marcus who neatly deflected it away from him. It went hurtling into a tree across the lake.

Several people gasped as Matthew shot several more spells at Marcus who quickly avoided them. Anne screamed from behind her shield as one spell went whizzing just beside Marcus’ ear.

Marcus stepped forwards and shot a stunning spell at Matthew. Matthew only just managed to deflect it, but he sent it straight into the crowd of students, hitting several.

Marcus sent another five spells in quick succession; Matthew managed to deflect all of them.

Matthew shouted something which Marcus did not quite catch, but he could clearly identify it by the stream of green light. Marcus had no time to protect himself and sidestepped out of the way. The flash of green struck the shield protecting Anne and shattered it.

Avada Kedavra!” Matthew called wildly and the curse missed Anne by inches.

Marcus saw Anne sink to the ground and then looked back at Matthew who was running away.

STUPEFY!” Marcus screamed with rage. The spell hit Matthew full in the back and he fell to the ground. Marcus then spun towards Anne and knelt beside her, gathering her in his arms. Marcus gently slapped Anne’s cheeks, trying to keep her from going into shock. He hated himself for doing this to Anne. Because of him, Matthew was now desperate to kill her.

Anne coughed weakly as Marcus stood with her in his arms. Several people stood around watching. A few people stood over Matthew, unsure of what to do. Teachers flooded down to the scene. Marcus pushed his way through them, ignoring questions that were fired at him.

A voice piped up beside him, as the teachers barred his way. “I saw what happened, Professor.” It was Arabella Cornwall. One of Anne’s closets friends. Probably one of the people who hate me, Marcus thought bitterly. “Please, let him through. He has done nothing wrong,”

Marcus looked at her in surprise and she smiled tentatively at him. He nodded curtly and carried Anne hurriedly to the hospital wing.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?
:D