We Can't Wake Up

Your Problem

“Marcus Lestrange,”

Marcus looked around at the sound of his name. He was sitting beside Anne in the hospital wing. Anne was conscious and had been talking with Marcus.

“Yes?” he asked impatiently.

“You are to go and see the headmaster,” the young girl said nervously, clearly eager to be away from his cold, dark eyes.

Marcus turned back to Anne and kissed her forehead. He stood and walked after the girl. The gargoyle sprang aside when they approached and Marcus walked up the stairs alone.

“You wanted to see me Headmaster,” Marcus said as he took a seat opposite Professor Pinge. Marcus noted that there were several other people in the room. A couple of teachers, some students some of whom had been at the fight, Henry Sphinx the Minister for Magic and Matthew.

“Yes, I wanted to hear your side of what happened today,” Pinge said.

Marcus nodded. “After breakfast everyone went outside because it was the first sunny day in a long time. I had to go back to the common room quickly, but when I went outside I saw everyone down at the lake. I went down there and saw Matthew” Marcus tilted his head slightly to indicate Matthew standing in the corner “and Anne fighting. I cast a protecting shield over Anne and then proceeded to fight Matthew myself. Matthew hit several students with stunning spells and he also used an unforgivable curse.”

He was interrupted then by Sphinx. “He used an unforgivable curse? Which one?” his tone was scathing. Marcus saw several students sigh impatiently and glare at Sphinx.

“The killing curse,” Marcus answered simply, staring Sphinx straight in the eye.

“Humph,” Sphinx muttered and quickly averted his gaze.

“I believe that is that Minister,” Pinge said calmly. “It is now up to you what to do with Matthew now. He is out of my hands.” He turned to Marcus and the other students. “You may go now,”

Marcus stood and left quickly. He needed to talk to Anne; there was something urgent that he had to say.

“Marcus?”

Marcus swung around, annoyed that he should be stopped. “What?” he asked impatiently.

It was Arabella. “Thankyou Marcus, for saving Anne,” she paused and had to swallow before she could continue. “I’m sorry for everything I’ve ever said about you. You aren’t a bad person….” she broke off, unable to continue.

Marcus nodded at her then spun around and hurried off to the hospital wing. Anne was sitting up, waiting for his return.

“What happened?” she asked as he took his seat beside her and entwined his fingers with his. She was dressed in her uniform again and was no longer under the covers.

“Matthew has been expelled. Are you allowed to leave now?”

Anne nodded. Marcus pulled her to her feet and they walked quickly outside. They hurried to their clearing. When they arrived Marcus stood looking at her, not saying anything.

“Something wrong Marcus?” Anne asked softly, brushing his hair out of his eyes.

“This can’t go on Anne,” Marcus said, taking her hand and placing it at her side. “Anne, I can’t do this anymore.” Anne opened her mouth to protest but Marcus laid a finger on her lips, silencing her.

“Marcus…….Marcus I love you,” Anne whispered desperately.

“Well that is your problem,” Marcus whispered forcefully. He bent and pressed his lips against Anne’s for a brief moment. Then he turned and walked away.