We Can't Wake Up

The Bracelet

Marcus stood silently outside the Gryffindor common room. He was invisible to all eyes. The fat lady talked endlessly to her companion who had joined her for a glass of wine.

Marcus’ patience paid off after half an hour and two first years approached the portrait.

“Homework,” the shortest squeaked. The portrait sung forwards and the two children hurried in. Marcus walked in straight after them and then stood in the corner of the Gryffindor common room.

He had never been here before. It was large and warm, a fireplace set into the wall near Marcus. He looked around, taking in the red and gold of the drapes and furniture. Everything was bright and comforting. Marcus wrinkled his nose in distaste.

A group of girls walked into the common room from a staircase across the room from Marcus. Anne was with them.

“So Anne how is Percy?” one girl giggled and smiled slyly at her friends.

Anne smiled tightly at her, “Fine thanks,”

“What’s he like after Marcus?” the girl pressed on.

Anne’s eyes tightened and she looked away. “What do you mean ‘after Marcus’?” she asked quietly.

“Well, you two were together weren’t you? I mean, why else would he save you from that Matthew guy?”

“No, we were never together. He is just some rich jerk who needs to get over himself,” Anne said, glaring at the girls surrounding her. “Is that all you wanted to talk to me about?”

The girls wandered away whispering and giggling among themselves. Anne slumped down in a chair near the fireplace and quickly wiped at her eyes. Her fingers strayed to her wrist where she toyed with a quaint silver bracelet. On it were three charms – a sickle moon, a bridge and a heart. She absentmindedly stroked the heart and stared at it, her forehead creasing. After a few moments, she took the bracelet off and dropped it on the table beside her.

Marcus’ heart beat faster, this was what he wanted, though he had no idea it would happen so easily. He had wanted something of Anne’s with which to make his first horcrux. Anne stood and walked through the portrait hole. Marcus quietly walked over and slipped the bracelet into his pocket.

Imperio, he pointed his wand at a student near him and made her walk through the hole so that he could get out. Then he walked quickly along the halls until he came to a deserted classroom.

When he was in the room and had closed the door, Marcus tapped his wrist and muttered “Invisinix.” It was a spell he had made up himself, depending on what you wanted to use it for and how you felt when you used it, the spell could make you invisible for as long as you needed.

Marcus slipped his hand into his pocket and drew out the silver bracelet. It felt cold and fragile in his hands, like a dead sparrow. He stared at it carefully, looking at the three charms handing off the chain. He pocketed it again and walked out of the room. No-one was around, Marcus walked casually back to the Slytherin common room and to his bed.

Now he had the item for his Horcrux – the bracelet. Now he just needed to find his first victims. They have to be important, Marcus thought impatiently, drumming his fingers on his knee.

Suddenly inspiration hit him. “Percy Houston,” he whispered. An eerie and cold smile stretched his lips, his eyes as cold and as distant as ever.