We Can't Wake Up

Unhealthy Obsessions

Nobody knew what to make of Marcus’ new mood. Though he was still cold and confident, there seemed to be something else playing on his face. An emotion not usually visible. Most of the students placed it as bitterness, whereas those who knew him slightly better placed it eagerness.

Marcus talked less to Arnold and Richard and he spent even more time by himself. Nobody dared to ask what he was doing, where he was going.

There were two weeks left until the holidays and Marcus was busy preparing things. It was in these holidays that he planned to make his first horcrux. The victim would be Percy Houston. Marcus had found out where Percy lived and was now trying to figure out how to kill him.

He had thought of poisoning him, but it didn’t seem enough. He had thought of killing him outright, but that would be too obvious. Another plan lingering in his mind was to make Percy’s own father think that he had killed him. This plan seemed the most appealing.

Marcus sat against a tree in the Forbidden Forest, his hands resting behind his back, a trail of spiders scuttling quickly away from him. He had decided on the last plan. He would put Percy and his father under the Imperious curse and take them away to a secluded area. Then, using his own wand, Marcus would perform the killing curse on Percy and then using Percy’s wand, Marcus would alter the father’s memory.

Now all he had to do was wait for the holidays. The anticipation was something he had never felt before. Never had he been this eager for an event to take place. He knew the real reason for his eagerness, but he smothered it with a different one – he would be stronger. He would have a Horcrux and he would be closer to fulfilling his dream.

The real reason was something that he did not want to admit to himself because he thought it was weak and pathetic. But he knew that the real reason he wanted Percy dead was so that he could never touch Anne again.

Marcus knew that he was becoming obsessed with her. Every moment that he was not near her was agony, but he would never say it because it was weak.

Anne too watched him wherever he went. Her eyes were constantly searching for him and her friends knew that something was wrong with her, but they simply assumed that she was coming down with a flu or something or the sort.

Anne went along with this theory because she knew that if she admitted the truth, they would want to lock her away. They had suspected that something might be going on with Anne and Marcus, especially after the incident with Matthew. But now it seemed uncertain, or perhaps even more likely.