We Can't Wake Up

The Storm

The rain beat down as Marcus walked. The droplets struck his skin leaving long red streaks. The thick trees of the forest provided no cover; the rain was far too strong.

Marcus could see students racing through the grounds, some of the younger students playing games and jumping in the growing puddles. Everywhere around him Marcus saw happiness, joyful playing and he heard laughter.

He couldn’t ever remember laughing. He didn’t know how it felt to just open up and laugh until your stomach hurt, tears streaked down your face and you fell over with the power of it.

Marcus leant against a tree a few metres away from the closest group of students. He examined them unnoticed. They were so carefree; splashing around, their clothes completely soaked. He dipped his gaze, his eyes drifting down his uniform to the ground.

The water was pooling at his feet, his shoes were now covered in water. But he did not move. He made no effort to follow the students as they hurried back inside, having had their fill of play.

The tempo of the rain increased, becoming more frantic as it pelted through the thick canopy of leaves above him. Lightning lit the air, brightening the world for one moment. A crack of thunder slammed after it. Students shrieked and ran faster to the safety and warmth of the castle.

Three more strikes of lightning; three crashes of thunder. A tree next to Marcus creaked loudly and swayed. The sky lit up again. The boom of the thunder was masked by the falling of the tree.

It fell away from Marcus, crashing down out of the trees. Marcus walked slowly along the side of it, his fingers trailing along the wet, moss covered bark.

Teachers came hurrying out of the castle, various shield charms protecting them from the storm.

“Marcus!” Professor Reece ran towards him. “Marcus what are you doing out here?” He grabbed Marcus’ arm. “Come on, you could get hurt!”

“I was just going back to the castle when the tree fell sir,” Marcus spoke calmly and pulled his arm from Professor Reece’s grip unnoticed.

“Ah, well, we should probably get you to the hospital wing. That’s quite a nasty cut you have on your cheek.” Professor Reece said tentatively, peering at Marcus through the growing gloom.

“I’ll go right away sir,” Marcus replied quickly and started to walk towards the castle.

He passed large mobs of students on his way to the hospital wing. They all gasped as he walked by. His hair was wet and hanging in his dark eyes, the cut on his cheek was bleeding eagerly, in the darkness of the castle he almost looked like an avenging angel of war.

When he reached the hospital wing, there were several students in there who had been hit by small debris. One first year boy had a broken arm, another had a broken nose.

Marcus sat on the bed pointed out by Madam Lousville, the nurse. Some of the younger girls stared at him openly, their eyes wide in amazement. Marcus lowered his gaze so that he did not see them staring.

One gaze felt more powerful than the others. Marcus looked to the right and saw that Anne was sitting diagonally across from him. Her eyes were filled with concern and pain. She clutched her arm close to her body and Marcus could see that she was bleeding badly.

Percy sat next to her, his hands brushing the stray locks of hair from her face. Marcus bit his lip in an effort to keep the emotions raging through his body from displaying them selves on his face.

Their eyes stayed locked together as Madam Lousville pottered over to Anne. She waved her wand and the bleeding stopped. She waved it again and Anne’s uniform was clean.

“Here you go dear,” she said cheerfully as she gave Anne a potion to stop the pain.

“Can we go now?” Percy looked at Madam Lousville.

“Can I stay a while?” Anne asked, shifting her gaze slightly to Madam Lousville. “It’s quiet in here, and I would like some rest.” She looked pointedly at Percy.

“That’s quite alright dear. Out you go Percy.” Madam Lousville smiled at Anne and then walked over to Marcus. She waved her wand twice and the cut was healed and the blood gone. “Do you want to stay?”

Marcus shook his head and stood. He didn’t look at Anne as he left the hospital wing.