We Can't Wake Up

First Class

They had been given their time-tables last night. Marcus had potions first with Professor Armstrong. He had been here around eight years and was extremely talented. He was also severe; one toe out of line and it was a detention.

Marcus was actually fairly pleased with his teachers this year. Apart from Professor Armstrong, he had – Professor Reece for Defence Against the Dark Arts, Prof. Wakefield for Astronomy, Prof. Oxfam for Charms, Prof. Bat for Herbology, Prof. Whitmill for History of Magic and Prof. Davies for Transfiguration.

Apart from potions and DADA, Marcus thought the rest of the subjects rather boring, especially History of Magic.

He collected his books and placed them in the bag and set off down the Great Hall of breakfast. He ate little, felling someone watching him. He felt sure he knew who it was, and, glancing up to the Gryffindor table, it was confirmed. Anne was watching him, a mixture of emotions playing on her face. He could recognize one immediately – fear. The others were slightly more difficult to place; one seemed to be annoyance and there was a third. This one he could not figure out. It burned so intently in her eyes that Marcus almost thought that it could be hate.

Arnold, Matthew, Richard and Maria followed him silently from the hall to potions. Ever since last night, Marcus had not said a word to any of them. They all knew what this meant, they all knew that Marcus was displeased with them, but none of them knew why.

Maria broke the silence by speaking to Matthew about their two year anniversary which was on Saturday.

Matthew quickly whispered something to her, obviously to try and quiet her.

“Why should I have to be silent because Marcus is annoyed?” she burst out loudly.

Marcus stopped dead; there were no students around, no teachers. A little bit of magic would do no harm. Slowly, silently, deadly, Marcus turned to face Maria. Her face, which was obstinately set, suddenly crumpled in fear. Marcus didn’t utter a sound as he fixed his cold, dark eyes upon her pale face. Maria whimpered quietly, then turned and fled.

Matthew remained silent, knowing full well that if he said anything against Marcus that he would be doomed. The dim light reflected ominously in Marcus’ eyes as he silently watched Maria run away. Just before she turned the corner, she bumped into a group of students who had just walked around the corner. Leading this group was Anne. Maria ran straight into her and fell to the ground. Anne quickly helped her up and apologized for getting in the way.

Maria took one last glance back at Matthew and saw he had his back turned. “WANKER!” she yelled and then ran away.

Matthew flinched, but remained silent. He did not run after her. Marcus resisted the urge to smile. His eyes met Anne’s briefly. The emotions were splayed out across her beautiful features again. This time Marcus could clearly see that they were pure amazement and intense distaste. She walked forwards as if meaning to come and talk to him.

Marcus turned and walked towards the potions room, Matthew, Arnold and Richard close behind.