We Can't Wake Up

Saturday

The Saturday of the ball arrived and students were in a flurry as they stressed over last minute details and what time they should begin getting ready.

The students from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang had arrived the previous night. Some students renewed old acquaintances whilst others forged new ones. The grounds were filled with people and Marcus was having a hard time of finding a quiet area. Even the dormitories were filled.

Marcus sighed gently as he found that the clearing in the trees was free of people. He lay down in the grass and rested his head on his hands as he watched the clouds drift along in the sky above. He didn’t know how to feel about the ball. The entire school had been having dancing lessons so there were going to be a considerable amount of ballroom dancing but the gossip around the school was that they were getting a band as well.

Even from where he lay on the ground far away from the excited students Marcus could still hear their cries and shouts. He groaned and scrunched his eyes shut. The majority of him couldn’t wait for this night to be over so that he could get some quiet. But after tonight he might never have that again. After tonight he was sure that people would talk about him and Anne.

He groaned again and his fingers twitched involuntarily. The clouds momentarily blocked the sun and he opened his eyes. He sat up and looked around him before standing and walking back to the school. It was nearing lunchtime and students were walking into the hall to get some food.

Anne and her friends were talking animatedly as they ate. He watched her for a few moments before starting to eat.

“What time are you getting ready?” Richard and Arnold were talking as they sat down next to Marcus.

“No offence Rich, but you sound like a girl.” Arnold sniggered.

Richard laughed, “Yeah well, Simone is bugging me about it.” He dug into the food infront of him.

Marcus listened to the people talking around him; everyone’s thoughts were firmly fixed on the ball.

“Should I wear my hair this way?”

“What about this?”

“Would you mind if I borrowed your clasp tonight?”

“Do you think I will look good?”

It was a constant babble in the foreground and the background. Everywhere he looked girls were fiddling with their hair for their friends, boys were making fun of each other; everyone was putting on a show.

He looked away, down at his now empty plate. Many people had not even touched the food infront of them because they were so busy talking to the people around them.

Marcus pushed himself away form the table and walked out of the hall. No-one even noticed him leave. Except Anne. She watched him leave before turning back to her conversation with her friends.