We Can't Wake Up

Not Allowing

For the rest of the week, Marcus never saw Anne alone. Their eyes locked everytime the passed and he saw the fear in her eyes but he also saw that she was resisting the urge to reach out to him, to hold him.

Marcus banished the thoughts from his mind and was determined to think of her no more. In the evenings, he took to walking the school grounds. It was quite simple to get in and out of the school. All he had to do was control those who stood in his way.

As he walked back to Slytherin on Friday night, he met Anne coming down the staircase.

“What are you doing?” he whispered, taking in her slim frame wrapped within a woolen blanket. She was shivering violently.

“I-I-I saw y-y-you from m-m-m-my wind-d-dow.” She stuttered through her sentence.

Without thinking, Marcus closed the gap between them and enfolded her in his arms. “Silly girl,” he chastised. “That was no reason to get up and come down. You could have been caught.”

Anne laughed shakily, “I w-w-was already awake,”

Marcus kissed the top of her head gently, tightening his grip around her. “Why?”

“You have been avoiding m-me,” Anne protested.

“I know.” Marcus replied calmly.

“Why Marc-c-cus?” She sounded like a petulant child.

Marcus remained silent, holding Anne close to him. He hated himself for even touching her. He had resolved to think of her no more, but here he was, holding her to him as if she were the most precious thing in the world.

“Marcus?” Anne had now stopped shaking.

“Mmm?” Marcus sighed.

“This is nice.” Anne said dreamily. Her head rested on Marcus’ chest and she breathed in his scent deeply. Slowly and tentatively Anne’s arms moved around Marcus’ waist.

Marcus stiffened immediately. “Go back to bed,” he muttered, pushing Anne away.

He heard her begin to protest as he walked to the dungeons, back to the Slytherin common room.