Status: A work in progress..updated randomly

Follow My Lead

Fourteen

They all ended up at the hospital. It’s not exactly how Kyle wanted to spend the night with his girlfriend. He had a bed set up on the beach for them to watch the sunset together. He definitely planned to sleep with her. It had been something that that was going to happen soon so he figured he’d go all out, but no.

Maybel had become violently ill. She clutched her stomach and was having trouble breathing. Kyle panicked and ran to get her brother. Her brother, once he saw her, decidedly brought her to the local hospital. Thank god several people there spoke english.

Kyle now sat outside of May’s room. They had brought her into surgery right away without telling anyone but Dave about anything. Dave was currently inside her room, being the only family with her.

He twiddled his thumbs then stood up and started pacing. He couldn’t take this. His girlfriend was hurting and he couldn’t do a damn thing about it. Kyle kicked his chair and let out a string of profanities. Andy stood up and hugged his friend, “Dude, just take a breath.”

Kyle listened to his friend. It wouldn’t help anyone if he freaked out and was kicked out of the hospital. It was like Josh all over again. His friend in the hospital without himself having a clue as to the situation. “Alright. Do you think I could just...go in? I mean, no one’s around and she’s already been through surgery. Last I heard she was sleeping...”

Andy looked between Kyle and the door and shrugged but stepped out of Kyle’s way. He all but sprinted to the door. He took another breath before quietly stepping inside. “Hey Dave, is it okay if I come in?” Kyle asks his friend softly. Dave nods and ushered him over to the bed. Kyle walked over before finally looking at Maybel.

She looked broken. Only a few hours ago, she had been laughing with friends and kissing her boyfriend sweetly with her new glowing tan. Looking at her in that moment Kyle took note of how that tan had all but flushed out, leaving her looking small and pale. She looked dehydrated. Dave stood.

“They want to ship her back to the states around noon tomorrow. You and I can ride in the helicopter. I have to go fill out papers and grab passports and whatnot. I’m sure you wouldn’t mind sitting with her.” Kyle shook his head and sat down, not trusting his voice. Dave departed without another word.

He leaned forward and took his girlfriend’s hand delicately. “Hey Darlin’. We’ll be home tomorrow. I’ll go back to your mom’s house and grab you that stuffed animal that you still secretly have. I want to say it’s a panda.” She continued sleeping but Kyle couldn’t take the silence. When he ran out of things to say, he started to sing. He sang anything that came to mind. He even sang her all her favorite Bon Iver songs that he didn’t actually know the words to.

-------

Two days later, Kyle still hadn’t caught Maybel awake. When she’d wake up, she’d ask for Kyle but he would be at home showering or grabbing food for the people who were constantly rotating through her room. No one could still fill Kyle in on anything, not even Dave. He actually hadn’t seen to much of Dave.

That afternoon though, Kyle caught Maybel awake. “May!” He rushed over to the bed and sat beside her, “How are you feeling?” She shrugged and offered him a weak smile that just about shattered Kyle’s heart.

“Kyle. I need to tell you something and I need you to listen. I don’t want you to treat me any different. I want you to be you and me be me. Alright?” Maybel says this with such a strong and determined voice that contradicted what her voice should sound like in accordance to the condition of her body.

What she said scared Kyle. Something was wrong. Something was very, very wrong. He took a deep breath. Of course he would do what she asked of him. He nodded and gulped, bracing himself for what was to come.

“Kyle...Kyle look at me. I’m dying.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah...this is not what I had in mind when I started typing this out 20 minutes ago but I'm going with it. Enjoy! :)