Ballad of Mona Lisa

I'm like a lawyer.

[Lisa's P.O.V.]
*Next day*
I didn't sleep at all last night, because I was so afraid to have that dream again. The image of Andrew putting that gun in his mouth haunted me, just like everything else about him. It seemed I couldn't do anything with out being reminded of Andrew. When I lay in my bed I think of when we laid in his bed. When I shower I see the bruises, and scars he gave me. When I kiss Brandon, I think about the kisses, and other things, Andrew stole from me.

What's even more haunting is when I think about all the bad things he did I think even more about the good things. When I lay in my bed I think of when he would hold me in his bed. When I shower I think about all the different ways, and places, Andrew touched me. When I kiss Brandon, I think about the kisses, and other things, I wanted from Andrew.

My mother, and I picked up Brandon from his house. He was dressed in a cute dress shirt, and pants. When I saw him he smiled at me, which made all the bad butterflies in my stomach go away. It was moments like that, Brandon making me feel better just with a simple smile, that made it easy to remember why I love him.

This was going to be a big step in the case. This was going to be me openly talking about all the things Andrew ever did to me. This was me going to have talk about this to a lawyer I don't know. A judge I don't know. A jury I don't know. And unfortunately an ex-boyfriend I do know. This was going to put Andrew in jail for a pretty long ass time, because of me. I had to make the choice if this was something I would be able to live with for the rest of my life. Although Andrew is a complete asshole, he still was my first love.

While I was contemplating Andrew I glanced into the side mirror of the car I saw Brandon sitting there looking out the window. I had to stop being selfish and thinking about what I would be able to do. I thought about how it would devastate Brandon if I didn't go through with this. And my mom. Oh god she would be so disappointed in me, and that is the worst feeling to have anyone disappointed in you. They both have done so much for me it would be the biggest slap in the face not to go through with this.

We reached the lawyer's office, and my stomach dropped. My mom went inside, and Brandon came to my door, and opened the door for me.
"Lisa? You coming?" He asked grabbing my hands.

"...Yeah." I said in a low tone.

"Listen Lisa if you get scared." He said grabbing my face and gently making me look at him.

"You look at me." He said gently kissing my forehead. I smiled at him, and kissing his lips.

"Come on baby, you've got this." He said holding my hand, and helping me out of the car.

"Okay thanks Brandon." I said looking at him with a slight smile.

"Anytime. Come on." He said pulling me, and then letting go of my hand quickly realizing we aren't supposed to be together. We both quickly glanced around to make sure no one was around. We walked inside, and were led to the room where my mom, and the lawyer were.

"Lisa this is Mr Stump. He's going to be your lawyer." My mom said, as they both stood up. Mr Stump was not what you would expect a lawyer to look like. He was only about 5'7" and had red hair, and glasses. He looked so familiar but I couldn't place my finger on it.

"Hello nice to meet you two." He said shaking my hand, and Brandon's.

"Lets get started." He said sitting, and we followed his example.

We talked about the legalities for a little while. What would happen in the court, how the court would be set up, and what charges Andrew was facing. Then we started talking about the hard stuff.
"So Lisa right now I'm going to ask you questions the prosecution might ask you." He said gathering papers, and a pen.

"Okay."

"Lisa, can you tell the court when the defendant Andrew first got physical with you?" He said getting very serious with me. The question made me think about that first time he hit me. I looked to Brandon for support. He nodded at me.

"It was the day after thanksgiving 2011." I said looking down.

"What exactly happened then?"

"He grabbed my arm,tightly, and threw me to the floor. Which caused me to hit my head." I said remembering the loud smashing noise of my head hitting the dresser.

"And did you tell anyone?"

"No."

"Why not?" He said resting his head on his hand.

"He apologized." I said looking down.

"And you believed him?" He said almost in a sarcastic tone.

"Yeah I did. Why is that a problem?" I said getting testy.

"Okay calm down. You have to keep your cool on the stand." He said looking at his watch. We did a couple more questions like that, and tried to hold my composure. He even did the same thing to Brandon.

"Okay Lisa you did good. Now you just have to act the same way for tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?" I said in a panic.

"Yeah that's the only time the judge can see the case." He said packing up his stuff.

"Shit." I said sitting down, and putting my head in my hands.

"Don't worry Lisa. Things should be fine. The kid has a record, and we have evidence against him. But if you have any other questions you can call me." He said handing me a card that I grabbed but didn't look at. Him and my mom walked out of the room talking, and Brandon rushed to me.

"I can't believe the trial is tomorrow!" I said almost in tears.

"Look at it this way it means he will get locked up faster. You're not going to be in any danger babe I promise." He said hugging me tightly.

"It's just so soon. It hasn't even been a week yet." I said actually crying.

"Lisa listen to me after this it'll all be over then we're going to work through it from there, and he won't ever be in our lives again. We can be happy again." He said kissing my head again.

Brandon had the right idea that things would be better, and I would push through this, but he was wrong when he said 'happy again' because you have to be happy in the first place to be happy again. I hope he's right about all those things though I just can't live like this anymore. I need to forget about him for good, and try and move on...

I flipped over the card Mr Stump gave me. The back was a picture of the building, and their address, and the front read "Patrick Stump. Attorney by day. Musician by night." It made me chuckle, which was the first time I laughed in months.