Ballad of Mona Lisa

The way you've been talking gets you a step closer to hell.

[Brandon's P.O.V.]

Lisa's mom dropped me off at home after the meeting with the lawyer. Lisa made some excuse on why she didn't want to hang out, again. This whole thing is taking a big tole on our relationship. I understand this all horrible for her, and I hate to see her go through this but she won't let me or anyone help her. I just don't know what I can do to help her take her mind off Andrew, because I know that nightmare she had the other day was about him. Right before she woke up she screamed 'NO ANDREW DON'T!', and then when I asked her about it she lied. Why was she keeping these things from me? It just doesn't make sense, and it's not fair to me. I just hope after this trial things get better for us, and maybe then she can accept my love. Until then I'm just going to have to suck it up, and be the man I promised I would be, for her.

It worked out Lisa didn't want to hang because I had work anyway. The job got worse, and worse as the days went on, but I needed the money for a new car, and insurance for the one I was driving. I got to work, and started waiting people right away. Then I saw some guy who looked like someone I knew walk in. He was tall about 6'5" and muscular. He wasn't seated in my area, but I watched him because I had a funny feeling about him. He was alone at a table set for two, and kept checking his watch as if he was waiting for someone. Finally he was accompanied by a tall girl with a hood, and glasses, oh my god. That's Lisa!

[Lisa's P.O.V.]

I sat at the table across from Andrew's dad. He had called my house after I got home, and said he had something from Andrew for me. I don't know what compelled me to go, but I went, and hoped to god Brandon wasn't working. I didn't see him when I walked in so I figured I was safe.
"How are you Lisa?" His dad said to me in a low raspy voice.

"What do you have for me?" I said skipping the small talk, and getting right to the only reason I came.

"This." He said handing me an envelope with my name on the front in Andrew's handwriting. I opened it gently.

"He does care Lisa." His dad said in a lower tone. I looked up over my glasses, and gave him a death stare. I opened the letter, and started reading.

'Lisa listen I understand all of this is crazy, and you probably wont believe a word I say, but please hear me out. I made a huge mistake doing what I did to you. I heard you lost our baby because of me , and I hate myself for it. Ever since I heard the news, I've been cutting my wrists everyday. I don't know how I'm ever going to live with myself, and the guilt, so I figure I might as well not live with it...

Oh my god my dream is coming true in some sort of way...

I love you Lisa I really do, and I swear on my dead mother, I will never lay a hand on you ever again. I understand it's hard to do, but you have to put some type of faith in me when I say this. I wouldn't just say these things to just say them. I'm even sorry about what I did to Brandon I was just afraid he was the reason you were leaving me, and I just couldn't loose you...But I did, and it's not Brandon's, or Your, faults. Its mine, and I'm willing to be the bigger man here and take responsibility for what I did to you. All I'm asking for is forgiveness, and to just remember me when you're standing up on the stand. And remember me while I'm in here paying for what I did wrong. I love you Lisa, and I want the best for you. And whatever you decide the best for you is, I hope you find it.... Keep my in you're thoughts.

I sat in my seat and cried. Cried like I had never cried in my life. I was drawing attention to our table by the other people in the restaurant. I felt Andrew's dad's hand on my shoulder as I put my head on the table and cried. This was all too confusing. I didn't want to be selfish and make Andrew continue to cut himself, or cause severe damage to himself, because of me. I don't think I can do this anymore.
"Just do what you think is right..." Andrew's dad said in a whisper.

"I don't know what's right!" I screamed into the table.

"Just remember, he's going to be paying for this for the rest of his life. Don't punish him more then he needs to be..."

"What are you saying?" I said looking at him.

"Let's say you don't take the stand tomorrow. He's still going to have a record, and possibly wont be able to get a lot of different jobs. Possibly won't be able to buy anything nice, because he wont have any credit, or he'll have poor credit. No other girl is going to want to be with him because of this.Now if you take the stand and put him in jail, he'll be in jail for a very long time. At least if he doesn't go to jail he has a chance, if you put him in jail, there goes the rest of his life for good." He said almost getting choked up.

"Please Lisa I understand my son did you wrong, but think about his life too." He said letting a tear flow down his face.

"I'll think about it..." I said grabbing the letter, and leaving. I ran outside, and started walking fast, with my head down. Then someone grabbed my arm, and without even looking I punched them, and they were on the floor. I turned around to look at who grabbed me, and it was Brandon.

"Oh my god Brandon! Are you okay?" I said kneeling down next to him.

"No fuck this I'm done." He said standing up in a fluster and walking away. Then I realized he was in his work uniform, which meant he probably saw me, and or heard me.

"Brandon wait-"

"Why? So you can explain why you're telling your crazy ex boyfriend's dad that you'll 'think about' not testifying against your crazy ex boyfriend? No thanks, and I don't even want to know whats in the letter, because what ever is in that letter should not be justification for you even considering bailing out." He said turning towards me yelling.

"Brandon you didn't read the letter you don't know what he said to me in here!" I said holding the letter up to him.

"Doesn't matter Lisa it's probably just the same old bullshit he's been feeding you for the past 6 months! I don't know why you're being so dumb about this! He physically, and mentally abused you for months! He's done this before! Why are you not seeing the fucking sick pattern here! He's a manipulative lying bastard, and you know I'm starting to think the same about you!"

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean?" I said stepping close to him.

"You've been lying to me for lord knows how long. You lied about your eating habits. You lied about Andrew for a while. You lied to me today. Face it Lisa you probably don't even love me! You're probably just lonely and need someone to fill Andrew's spot, well if I'm not doing such a great job then go get the real motherfucking thing!" He said screaming in the middle of the sidewalk, and getting red in the face. I was so mad at him for saying all that stuff, but the more I think about it. He's right, and I didn't know what to say to him.

So I wiped my eyes, and walked away.

"Lisa...you need to make a decision here. Either choose Andrew, and don't go to the trial, or choose yourself, and go to the trial..." He said as I walked away.

I kept walking down the street towards my house, and had so much on my mind. I really needed to think this through. One could change my life forever, and one could change his life forever. I needed to decide if I was feeling generous or selfish...