Ballad of Mona Lisa

Fooled me once with your eyes now honey, fooled me twice with your lies.

[Lisa's P.O.V.]
*Christmas Eve*
I was actually excited for Christmas this year, because I would be spending it with Andrew! Usually I spend my Christmas home watching "Elf" and "A Christmas Story." for hours on end, but this year I'll be with Andrew, and some of his family. I was so happy I dropped another 5 lbs! Now I'm at 110! I expect to gain a little weight on Christmas, because Andrew's aunt is making a huge meal, but no worries after I'll be back to my 'diet'.

I was on my way to meet up with Brandon, before work, to exchange gifts. I found the money in my moms purse. I hate stealing from her but I needed to buy Brandon, and Andrew gifts, and I just don't have that kind of money. I bought him a 'Beatles' sweatshirt, because they were one of his favorite bands. I walked up to his house bundled up in a huge jacket, that made me look huge, holding a bag with his present in it. He opened the door after I rang the bell. He greeted me with a huge hug, as usual.
"Hey! Merry almsot Christmas!" He said hugging me tight.
"You too!" I said hugging him back. I loved the holidays, they always brought out the best in both of us.

I just wish it brought out the best in Andrew, because he has been really on edge lately. He even grabbed my wrist again, and gave me a black and blue. He got mad because I had to text Brandon about plans for today, and then he started yelling and getting really mad at me. He started calling me all these horrible things like slut, whore,bitch etc. Then I went to leave again, and he grabbed my wrist again, and shook me like a rag doll. Then he apologized, and said all of this sweet stuff to make it better, and I forgave him. I only forgave him because I told him if he did it again I would never be with him again, and I mean it. Besides he still hasn't hit me, even though he did leave a huge bruise on my arm from grabbing me. I knew I had to keep it a secret from Brandon, he would never understand everything Andrew has going on, and why I'm still with him. In fact I really can't tell anyone...

I followed Brandon up to his room excited to give him his present. I sat down on the couch in his room, and took off my jacket, which revealed my super thin frame. Brandon looked at me up and down, with of look of anger. I waited for him to say something about my weight, but to my surprise he just let out a sigh and looked away.
"So what'd you get me?" He said sitting up like a little kid waiting for candy.

"A huge pile of shit."

"Wow you know me way to well, that's what I've wanted all year!" He said clapping his hands excitedly. Which made me laugh slightly.

"Then sorry to disappoint, but I actually didn't get you that.."

"You bitch!" He said yelling playfully. I used to laugh when he called me a bitch, but now it made me sad, because I just keep hearing Andrew in my ear calling me a bitch. I snapped out of it, and handed him his present.

"I hope you like it." I said smirking as he took the bag from me. He started ripping out tissue paper like a child. I loved being around him he always made me feel like I was a little kid again, which I really needed sometimes. He reached into the bag, and pulled out the black
sweatshirt in awe.

"Oh my god Lisa! This is amazing! I can't believe you bought this for me! Thank so much!" He said hugging me tightly, and I hugged him back.

"No problem you deserve it." I said laughing as he squeezed me tighter, and tighter, with every breath.

"Now its your turn." He said letting go, and walking towards his closet, and pulling out a smaller bag.

"Merry Christmas Lisa." He said handing it to me. I looked into his eyes, and unlike Andrew's, I saw compassion. I took the bag from him, and removed a long box that said 'Pandora' on it. I looked at him with shock.

"Brandon..."

"You didn't even open it yet!" He said grinning. I opened the box all the way, and it revealed a beautiful silver bracelet, with 2 charms on it. One was a music note, and the other was a small yellow bus.

"I got the music note because music is both of our favorites, and the bus because that was where I first talked to you, and where we became friends." He said still smiling.

"Oh my god Brandon this is beautiful! Thank you so much! This means a lot to me." I said wrapping my arms around his neck.

"Here let me put it on." He said taking the bracelet out of the box. "Give me your hand." He said extending his hand out waiting for mine to fall on top of it, and with out even thinking I gave him the bad wrist, the Andrew wrist.

"What the fuck is that?" He said noticing immediately, and sliding my sleeve up more so he could see the whole thing.

"I banged my wrist on the door." I said yanking my hand away, and pulling my sleeve down.

"Lisa I am not stupid! Andrew did that to you, didn't he?" He said getting closer to me trying to look in my eye, but I wouldn't look at him because I knew he was crying.

"NO! I said I banged it!" I said turning away from him.

"Oh really? Because I'm pretty sure doors don't have fingers!" I said grabbing my hand, and running his finger over the outline of Andrew's thumb, and middle finger.

"I held my wrist too tight after I banged it."

"Lisa! Please! Don't do this! He is hitting you an-"

"He never hit me!" I said snapping and looking him dead in the eye.

"He's abusing you Lisa! We have to tell someone! He needs hel-"

"Don't say he needs help! He needs me!"

"For what a punching bag? Lisa don't you see he's hurting you.." He said trying to look in my eyes.

"He has a lot going on, and sometimes he just lashes out. He apologizes right after it happens, and he means it." I said hiding the tear rolling down my face.

"Wait somtimes? happens? He's done this before?..."

"Only once before this, but that was my fault I was bugging him.."

"Lisa... that doesn't justify hitting you..."

"It wont happen again, and if it does then we're done forever. I swear."

"No Lisa what if next time its worse?"

"There wont be a next time." I said snapping him a nasty look. Which stung him, I could tell.

"I am not just going to stand around, and watch my friend get abused Lisa! I'm going to tell
my mom!" He said going to walk to the door, but I stopped him.

"NO! I am fine! No one needs to know!"

"LISA YOU ARE MY BEST FRIEND! I CAN'T WATCH SOMEONE DESTROY YOU LIKE THIS!" He said as he started hysterically crying, and getting red faced.

"THEN DON'T WATCH!" I said also starting to cry.

"I HAVE TO! YOU'RE MY BEST FRIEND, AND-"

"THEN WE WONT BE FRIENDS!" I said getting in his face, and wiping away the tears.

"What?.." He said as a tear slowly rolled down his face.

"If you can't watch me live my life because we're friends, then we wont be friends. I am not letting you or anyone tell me I am being abused, because I know I am not!"

"Lisa...please...we've been friends since the 5th grade. You can't let him come between us... You promised you wouldn't..." He said looking at me with pure sadness in his eyes.

"I'm not you are! I want to be friends, but I don't want to give up Andrew, and if you want him and I to end then you don't want whats best for me. I think you just want us to break up so you can try and have me!"

"Lisa that's not it at all! I was supporting your relationship with him until now! I understand he makes you happy, but you have no freedom, and he's hurting you.. Those aren't healthy."

"That's not our whole relationship, he is so good to me."

"Still that's twice too many times he hurt you."

"It wont happen again..." I said looking at him, and watched him wipe his eyes. He had nothing to say.

"So...what do you want to do."

"I want to tell someone, and get you help..."

"Then we can't be friends..." I said looking back down.

"I'm still going to care..."

"Well maybe we can be friends again one day,but not until you let me live my life, and I swear Brandon if you tell anyone I will NEVER talk to you again."

"Okay Lisa..." He said looking down.

"Can I ask you something though?" He asked as more tears poured out of his eyes.

"What?"

"If he makes you so happy why won't you eat? And don't tell me you're not. I see it Lisa it's just like 8th grade again. I can help you Lisa." He said looking me dead in the eye, and grabbing my shoulders so I couldn't run away.

"I am eating."

"Okay let me re-phrase the question, why are you throwing up what you eat?" He said with an attitude.

"I don't-"

"Liar! I heard you that night you were here for halloween! Stop lying to me Lisa! I am supposed to be your best friend! Best friends don't lie like this!"

"That's why I said we shouldn't be friends. I haven't been a good friend to you, and you can't let me live my life." I said looking down.

"Why can't you just realize I want to help you? And lying, and turning me away will just hurt you more in the end?"

"Because you don't know what it is like to have one good person in your life, and have someone, who is supposed to care about you, tell you that it can't happen!"

"Yeah actually I do. Except the difference is the one good person in my life, and the person saying it can't happen are the same person. In this case it's you!" He said making me look at him.

"I'm sorry Brandon. You don't deserve this..." I said grabbing my huge coat off his bed.

"Goodbye Brandon. Text me if you need anything, or want to fix things." I said walking by him again, and closing the door. As I started to walk away I heard a yell, and a smash, but I just kept walking.

I knew he wouldn't understand anything about the situation, and I did feel bad about lying to him. I just hope we can work it out, and be friends again.

[Brandon's P.O.V.]

As I watched Lisa walk out the door I felt so helpless. I wanted to stop her, but I just couldn't, so she left. I looked at my hand and realized I still had her bracelet in my hands. Looking at it made me so angry. My best friend had been lying to me, and is getting abused by her dumb ass boyfriend. The longer I stared at the bracelet, the madder I got. Until I finally exploded. I threw the bracelet at my mirror, and screamed as loud as I could. The sound of the bracelet hitting the glass brought me to my knees. I was just hysterically crying on my floor, with my face buried in my hands. I tried to keep my voice down so Ryan, or my mom, would hear me.

It is honestly the worst feeling in the world to have your best friend tell you she wont be friends with you because you want to help her. I am so confused I don't know if I should risk telling my mom, and never talking to her again, or letting it go on, and eventually hurt her. I'll just watch her carefully, and look for more signs. Maybe Lisa is right maybe it wont happen again, but what if it does? Even if I did tell someone they would both deny it, and make me look like the bad guy, and then Lisa really wont talk to me.

Maybe I'll let it play out, and see. If more signs occur I'll tell someone, but for now I guess I'll give Lisa her space and see how things go..