Status: Completed.

Monsters

I'm not who I used to be.

Two forty-five, it read on the clock.

Suddenly a hard thud on the wooden floor came from the guest bedroom. My father had just moved in after mom's funeral.

It really took a toll on him since they were married for 50 years. "I'll be seeing you", were the last words uttered by her to him.

The impact of the thud was so loud, I woke up gasping for air. As if someone had been suffocating me and finally released hold on me. "Maria wake up!", removing the covers as my feet touched the hard wood flooring.

I reached for the door as you would if there was a fire in the house. Ran towards the guest bedroom and saw him there laying on the floor.

His eyes rolled up, and vomiting all over his mouth. "DAD!", I yelled. "No, no, no please god no." Kept replaying on my mind as I tried to resuscitate him.

Every push I gave into his sternum, more and more tears kept falling. "I lost mom, and I'm not gonna lose you!"

"Maria! Call 911 now!" She hurriedly got paramedics on the phone and was told their arrival would be in 5 minutes. "That's too long! We can't wait any longer!". I told my wife to have the kids stay in their rooms. He never told me he was sick. He never told me he was dying. The vomit was everywhere; all over his grey shirt and black sweats and all over my shirt.

"Stay with me dad, just stay with me." More and more pushes I gave, but less and less movement he made. He stopped moving around and everything went still. At that very moment, blue and red lights kept flashing through my window.

They were too late.