My Winding Wheel

London Calling

Image


Esmy’s phone ringing quite loudly next to her head woke her up an hour later, after she managed to cry herself into a sleep. She answered without checking the ID, giving a tired ‘mmmm’ as a greeting. Josh’s worried voice met her, waking her up fully in an instant, “Esmy? Esmeralda? Please, please tell me you’re okay.”

Josh,” Esmy took all that she had left in her to keep from crying. She pulled her legs up, wrapping her arms around them as she teared up a bit, “Thank you. Thank you for calling back. I tried you, Margret, Annabelle, and Auntie Rosalina and no one answered. I…Josh it’s my dad. He fell, hit his head, and now is in the hospital with a coma. I don’t know what to do, I can’t fly out there this weekend I have to be in London in five days and I’m nowhere near prepared for the walkthrough, nor to be there until the week before Christmas for fashion week preparations. I’m not okay. I’m not ready for these possibilities. What if he dies and I don’t get to see him? I’m so lost Josh.”

“Shhhh, it’s going to be okay,” Josh sighed softly, pausing a moment as he listened to Esmy calm her breathing, “S’okay love. I understand, you know? I’m over in America while my family is all back in England. Anything goes wrong, I can’t be there until mid-November fully. Sure, I’m in Surrey next week but I’m home for a day then off on a stint around Europe for two weeks. I totally understand the lost feeling, yeah? You aren’t alone love, trust me.”

“I know, I just…my dad, Josh. He’s so brave and so strong. I can’t imagine him in a hospital so I automatically jump to the worst…”

“You say he’s strong? Then he’ll get through this! You hear me now, okay? I don’t want you up worrying yourself sick Esmy. Let the gents in San Francisco take care of him and you’ll worry about your career path yeah? Got a big week ahead. Got a big couple of months ahead. Text your family, call them as constantly as you can, but don’t get too worried. And I’m always a phone call away, alright?”

“Thank you, so much Josh. You don’t know how much you mean to me.”

“Anything,” Josh paused before continuing, listening at Esmy’s breath hitched again, “Hey now, I know the sound of a bird about to cry and you’re makin’ it. Don’t start that, you’ll make this bloke cry.”

Esmy laughed a little, looking down at the sheets below her with a small smile as Josh laughed on the other end, “See? Now that’s a sound I like to hear. You stay strong. Enjoy your time off. I’m always here for ya, alright? Despite not answering that call before, I promise, I’m here for you.”

“Thank you Josh. Seriously, you are amazing.”

“That’s what they tell me love. Now go take a nap, I know I woke ya. Could tell by the tone, yeah? Call me tomorrow, after you call your da’, and I’ll be waiting to hear an update okay?”

“Yeah…yeah that sounds good. Thanks Josh. Lo-lets not talk weeks apart at a time anymore, yeah?”

“Er, sounds good?”

“Good! Bye then!” Esmy quickly hung up, staring down at her phone wide eyed. A near slip of a phrase she threw around to commonly with friends that could have put her in a position she was not ready to be in. Sighing, she gathered her phone and box of tissues, setting them aside her bed. Curling up into a comfortable position, Esmy quickly passed out with worries of not only her father’s well being but her job and life in general racing through her thoughts. Esmy was, once again, back in quite the hectic place and as she slipped into her deep sleep, she wished silently that she could catch a break for once and have a good, positive force enter her life.

Image


Josh stared down at the phone as Esmy hung up on him, frowning down at it. Did she just… Shaking his head to attempt to stop the thought that was forming, Josh scowled and shoved the phone into his back pocket. He made his way through the back corridor of the venue they were at in Cleveland, nodding at security as he entered their green room. Dan and Max were seated on the floor, both typing away at their laptops and on iChat with their friends back home that were just waking up for the day. Chris and Matt managed to claim the couch for themselves, with their bags between them and computers out in their laps.

Rolling his eyes, Josh crossed the room to find his laptop in his bag. He dug around for a bit, moving clothes aside until he found it, pulling it out and setting it on the counter they provided in front of two large mirrors. Josh all but fell into a chair, flipping open his laptop to double check on his flights again. He went into his email, only rather than going for his flight information he noticed another particular email that caught his eye. Smiling widely, Josh quickly pulled it open only to find an essay’s worth of text greeting him.

Settling back, Josh began to read the email eagerly.

Hello Joshy,

Pish posh, as if I wouldn’t email my favorite brother or answer your calls whenever you need to talk to me! Thought you would have realized that by now, you gooner. I miss you something awful dear Joshua. Rhiannon keeps coming around too. That stupid bint can’t take a hint! I’ll keep her off as long as I can, yeah?

Dad’s being typical. Says to tell you to make sure you don’t stress yourself out and to not forget us little folk. We’re all proud of you blokes though. America’s finally realizing just how good you are! They have just proper timing don’t they? Silly bints. Bet you have a ton of little birds trying to get you!

Speaking of birds, who is this Esmy you keep mentioning? Sounds like you’re nutters over the girl! She the one you want me to pick up from the airport next week? Because know this, I’ll interrogate her without hesitation if you’re involved with her…you didn’t forget to tell me that, hmm Josh?

My shift’s about to start though so I have to catch the train into town. I love you, brother. Call me any time and I’ll take the fees, I don’t care.

Love,

Elissa


Josh smiled broadly, diving into a reply for his sister. If he couldn’t talk to her that instant on the phone, he was glad to at least have email.

Image


“Esmy?”

Esmeralda whipped around at the sound of a woman’s voice one week later in Heathrow Airport. Annabelle already flew in the day before for extra time with her family and Esmy went with the intentions to meet up with Josh’s sister for a ride to her hotel. Spotting a woman that looked slightly similar to Joshua staring at her, Esmy stepped closer to her and gave her a slight smile, “Are you Elissa?”

“Oh lord, thank god I picked the right bird to ask first!” Elissa laughed loudly, offering Esmy a hand, “I am indeed Elissa. You’re Josh’s bird right?”

“Not his specifically, but a mate definitely. I think that’s how you guys say good friend? He’s mon ami, definitely.”

“Oh a French speaker!”

“Lightly!”

“My father is going to adore you,” Elissa laughed, taking Esmy’s bag off the ground for her and motioning for her to follow along. “Now Josh says you’ve got some posh little hotel to go to?”

“Sort of. I check in tomorrow morning, technically. I just planned to work on my walkthrough preparations at some twenty-four hour café somewhere…”

Elissa rolled her eyes, scoffing at Esmy, “No such thing exist here. You American girls are so spoiled sometimes. No, but honestly, just stay with us tonight and let me show you around town. I’ll take you to the pub and find you a nice bloke to dance with, yeah?”

“I’m…well…okay I mean, what harm can that do? Walkthrough isn’t until next Monday…”

“Oh good! Then I get ya for a whole week to corrupt. And we get Josh in two days, so this should be fun,” Elissa unlocked her car as they approached it, glancing over at Esmy and laughing airily, “Little cold?”

Esmy looked down at her outfit and blushed, nodding. Elissa went to put her bag into the trunk and Esmy quickly opened it, grabbing her all black military peacoat off the top. She buttoned it up hastily, sliding into Elissa’s passenger seat as she buttoned the last button. Elissa laughed from her right, looking over at her with a smile, “I half expected you to get in this side.”

“I almost did,” Esmy shook her head, glancing out at the parking lot as they started their trip home, “I’ve never actually been to Surrey. My aunt has a flat here though, says it’s wonderful.”

“I never had a complaint. My dad and Josh like it cause they’re near Emirates Stadium.”

“Emirates?”

“S’where Arsenal plays.”

“Arsenal?”

“Oh child, we have so much to teach you! They’re a footie team.”

“Footie? You mean…soccer?”

“Yeah, soccer.”

“Yeah, they only sport I watch is hockey mainly.”

“Hockey? Bloody hell we do have a lot to show you. I’ll take ya to a match this week. Trust me, you’ll fall in love with the sport.”

“You wanna bet?”

“Oh, I like your gumption,” Elissa laughed loudly as she pulled onto the highway, taking off towards her home, “Now I see why Josh fancies you so much. Rare that he even talks to a bird, let alone frequently. Now I can tell why.”

“That a good thing?”

“Put it this way,” Elissa glanced over, smiling slyly at Esmy, “I approve of ya and that’s saying something since I’m the one to get through. Joshua’s my baby brother, but I love that hooligan all the same. You’re slowly becoming one my favorite people I’ve met recently, in a short span of time. Keep it up.”

“I’ll try.”

The rest of the drive was spent in a comfortable silence, with Elissa occasionally pointing out landmarks to Esmy as a courtesy. Esmy’s mind wandered back to her father however and as the worry sunk in once again, she took the little comfort in being across the world and away from her problems. She was running again, and for once it felt like the right thing for her to do.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know, it's been a while. Terribly sorry. Studies and work are absolutely killing me.