My Winding Wheel

Stay

Image


“Esmeralda, can you step into my office?” The next morning, Esmeralda barely made it in the door before Peter was summoning her once again. With a quiet sigh and a roll of the eyes, Esmeralda headed into his office without making her usual stop at her desk to set her bags down. When she entered the small maroon colored room, Esmeralda held back a laugh as Peter shot her a smile over his shoulder. He was dressed in the most casual clothing out of anyone at the office, ripped jeans and a band t-shirt with a Bermuda hat, and had his feet propped up on his windowsill. Turning to face her, and almost knocking over his coffee, Peter leaned forward on the desk with a wicked grin, “Do you know why I’ve summoned you?”

“No, my lord, what is it that ails ye today?” Esmeralda tended to subtly mock him, since her usual response from Peter to it was a sharp, barking laughter and a ‘nice one kid’. However, as she finished her statement and was met with silence, Esmeralda shifted uncomfortably, “Uhm…is everything okay Peter?”

“We’re transferring you. I’m so sorry Esmeralda, but Margret got Sam’s old job since he left and we are bumping up Chris into Mark’s old job. I found an opening at our partner’s in Chicago and I just, I feel like you’d be fit to run that site.”

“Chicago?! Peter you’re joking. I can’t live in Chicago. Peter it snows there. They have all four seasons, Peter. We have two! Cold and colder! But we do NOT touch on Arctic like the Midwest!” Esmeralda took a step back, shaking with anger as she began to clench and unclench her fist with every second that passed. Peter nodded at her, completely missing her point as he began to frown, “I know, I’m from there.”

“Why don’t you take it then? Peter, I can’t move to Chicago. I won’t move to Chicago.”

“Then I’m sorry Esmeralda, but you won’t have a job if you don’t go by next Monday. We paid for your travel and to room you in a hotel for a month until you can find your own place. I’m sorry, Esmeralda, I truly am.”

“In that case Peter? I quit.” Esmeralda turned, not surprised to see the majority of the staff staring at Peter’s office. Holding her head up high, Esmeralda left the office with a smile. Margret attempted to follow, only to have Peter call her into his office to chat with her. Esmeralda was a bit glad, not ready for the company of Margret who got her position. Sighing, Esmeralda left without a second glance at her office. She really needed a break for once.

Image


Collapsing onto her couch in her small studio apartment, Esmeralda let her head fall back. Her mind raced still with the idea that she was now jobless and the pile of bills on her table screamed at her angrily for quitting. Across the room, her phone began to ring quite loudly, making her jump slightly. Rolling her eyes, Esmeralda curled up further into her couch. When silence took over the room again, Esmeralda smiled slightly and let her body relax. Only seconds later, the phone began to ring again. Esmeralda groaned out loud, pushing herself up and off the couch. Running across the room, she grabbed her phone and checked the ID. Squealing out loud to herself she quickly answered and put the phone up to her ear, “Salut Auntie Rosie!”

“Mon Cherie!” Her aunt’s thick French accent came through from the other end, making Esmeralda’s nerves instantly feel calmed as it always did. Her aunt’s voice was soft spoken and delicate, with an elegant air about it as she spoke proudly to her niece, “How are you my beautiful Esmy? You have not visited me in so long! Five years, no? And I haven’t heard your beautiful voice in so long as well!”

Esmeralda laughed lightly at the typical greeting of her aunt Rose. Rosalina Michelle Angelica De Luna was Esmeralda’s crazy Spanish aunt that grew up in the outskirts of Paris, France. Her parents, originally both from Milan in Spain, moved her there when she was five and when Esmeralda’s mother was ten. They wrote letters to each other constantly growing up and still do, even into their old age. Esmeralda considered Rosalina, or Rosie as she affectionately knew her, to be her hero.

“Auntie, it has only been five months since I saw you in Los Angeles with mom and papa! We spoke three days ago! Are you losing your memory already you old-timer?”

“Oh hush mon cherie, I call to check on you today! How are you?” Her broken English still made Esmeralda smile to this day. With a short giggle, she quickly sighed to cover it, “Not good auntie. I quit my job. They tried transferring me to Chicago, which I can’t do. I don’t know what I’m going to do though. My lease is up in three weeks and I have no money to find a place and move right now! I have just enough for rent and bills this month!”

“Oh Esmy,” Her auntie sighed softly, and Esmeralda let herself fall into the couch cushions again as she laughed bitterly, “Tell me about it auntie. So, I’ve been better as you can see.”

“I don’t know if this would help, but maybe come explore Europe for a while? I have my flat in Surrey you could use. Or you can use old flat in New York...”

“Wait, New York?” Esmeralda sat up quickly, her eyes bugging out at this news. Rosalina was wealthy from family money and Esmeralda knew that, but multiple flats all over the world? That was unnecessary in her opinion. She sat silent for a moment, letting her racing thoughts calm down, “I’ve always loved it there…”

“Let me call. They get it fixed up so nice for you! I’ll email the details tomorrow, yes? And Esmy dear, no rent. I have that for you. I’ll move you and get you settled, you find job.”

“Auntie, I love you so much. I have to start packing. I just, thank you. Thank you so much! Au revoir!”

“Au revoir Esmy!”

With their quick goodbye, Esmeralda hung up the phone and let out a shrill squeal of joy. Bouncing in place for a moment, she smiled giddily to herself. As she calmed down, she looked around her small and quite empty apartment. No, this move wouldn’t be hard at all on her. At least, that’s what she believed. Esmeralda really did have a problem with thinking so positively about things and missing the risk of being jobless and support-less. But New York was a place of miracles and Esmeralda felt luck was on her side for once. Nothing could stop her from the move, and she could not wait.
♠ ♠ ♠
As always, feedback is MUCHO appreciated! Thanks for reading!