My Winding Wheel

Four Winds

Image


“Esmy!” Esmeralda snapped her attention back to her coworker, Annabelle, and smiled politely, “Sorry, terribly sorry! I’ve just got back from London last night and already I’m on the way to Los Angeles for two weeks this time. It’s just taking a moment to set it.”

“Don’t worry, I had the same issue my first month. You get used to the jet-setting life, I promise! It’s like we’re rockstars only, we get more luxury than they do!” Annabelle laughed, smiling brightly at Esmeralda. Esmy returned it with a small giggle, nodding at her before she returned her attention to her iPad. She browsed her emails, ignoring all the sale ads from various stores with a soft sigh. Coming across an email from Josh, Esmy smiled wider and opened it quickly.

Hello stranger,

Been a quick minute, it has. Sorry I’ve been a twat and not called. I’m on my way to Los Angeles actually. I hear you are too according to my old text I have still in my phone. Well, my phone I use in America that is.

Not important. What is important though, is that when you land you need to give me a ring so I can show you Los Angeles my way. Or you show me your way. Really, I just want to sit and have a chat over a nice cuppa, if that’s alright with you.

See you soon?

-Josh


Esmy laughed to herself, exiting her email app and locking her iPad once more. Glancing over at Annabelle, she relaxed once more. Annabelle was everything she needed at the moment. Margret was her rock, always, but having a friend in New York was definitely helping her adjust to her new lifestyle, especially a friend that lived as she did. Annabelle Boden was a petite, pale, brown haired French girl who migrated from Paris to New York in an attempt to make it big in the modeling world. While she knew she was a good seven inches too short for runway, she managed to snag spreads here and there with her unique features. However, after a few years of barely living, she finally switched into using her degree in Marketing and landed her job with Westwood.

Esmy found a great sense of comfort in Annabelle and as they boarded the plane to Los Angeles out of JFK, she couldn’t help but be thankful that the woman was placed into her life at the moment she was.

Image


“Esmy, come on now darling, we’re here!” Esmy let Annabelle shake her awake, coming to consciousness slowly. She smiled up at Annabelle sleepily, looking around the plane in wonder, “Are we the last ones again?”

“You, my dear, sleep like a rock,” Annabelle’s thickly accented voice lured her into full awareness as she took in the empty plane. Blushing, Esmy stood and collected her travel bags. She traveled light, only needing enough for four business meetings, a casual outfit, and multiple sweatpants to last her through hours she planned to spend in her hotel room. They quickly exited the plane under the glare of multiple stewardesses. Esmy followed Annabelle out to the curb of LAX, watching in awe at how easily she hailed a taxi. They set off for their hotel quickly, making Esmy relax finally as she spotted familiar sites around Los Angeles.

“You’ve been here before, yes?”

“Oh of course! You can’t live in California without having been here at least once, I like to believe. You’ll hear my California accent start to come back through soon I bet you. It’ll be ‘dude’ this and ‘bro’ that. I promise, I’m really a proper lady.”

“I believe you,” Annabelle laughed at her, glancing outside again, “I prefer London, because it’s closer to home for me and less crowded, but Los Angeles is not all that bad. It’s dirty, but in a chic way, yes?”

“Sure Annabelle,” Esmy laughed, glancing down at her bag as it made noise with her phone vibrating. She dug through the small white clutch, grasping her phone after a few moments and pulling it out. At Jay’s name on the screen, she squealed excitedly and answered, “Oh cousin of mine. Favorite favorite cousin of mine.”

“Why do I have to find out from Josh Franceschi that you’re in Los Angeles and not you?”

“If it helps, I quite literally just landed.”

“It’s better but I’m not happy with you still.”

“I figured. Well me and Annabelle are getting to our hotel, I’ll call you later?”

“What hotel? We may be near by!”

“Don’t judge me…but…the Four Seasons?”

“Are you serious?” Jay practically shrieked into the phone, making even Annabelle jump a bit and look at Esmy with an inquisitive look. She rolled her eyes at Annabelle, nodding as Jay began to stutter. “So uh, party at Esmy’s?”

“No!” Esmy frowned as they pulled up to the hotel, “No, absolutely not. I’m not getting fired for you.”

“You can come party at Best Western with us…”

“Jay, don’t be like that.”

“I’m kidding. Look, check in, relax, and I’ll list you for our show tomorrow. Unless…Josh already has?”

“Has not, so me plus one would be awesome.”

“Oh a plus one! I cannot wait to meet them! See you tomorrow Es.”

“Bye brat,” Esmy hung up before Jay could respond, climbing out of the taxi as Annabelle paid with the company card. Stretching out, Esmy stared up in awe at the hotel in front of them. Annabelle walked up, throwing her arm around Esmy’s shoulders as she began to lead them into the lobby, “See why I said dress nice?”

“I still feel underdressed. Thanks for lending me this dress and stuff.”

“Anytime Esmy dear! Let me check in and you go check into your suite and we can explore after, yes?”

“Actually I think I’ll nap, honestly. We have a long day ahead tomorrow. Don’t make plans, by the way, my cousin wants us to see his band play downtown.”

“Okay!” Annabelle leaned over, kissing both of Esmy’s cheeks in her typical farewell, “Au revior my dear. I’ll see you tonight yeah? Dinner!”

“Of course, thanks for everything Annabelle!”

Image


Esmy collapsed into her bed, staring at the ceiling still in awe of the room she was in. She knew Westwood took care of them but the room was beyond her expectations. It was luxurious and exactly what she needed in her time away from New York. She pulled her phone out of the small, almost hidden, pocket in her dress and quickly scrolled through to find Josh’s number. Calling him, she kicked off her heals and scooted up the bed to relax in the sea of pillows. Josh picked up on the fourth ring, slightly out of breath, “Ello?”

“What’s got you so winded?”

“Fifa. Pretty intense match too, love, can I ring you back in a bit?”

“Yeah, of course. Enjoy your football.”

“Thanks!” Without another word Josh hung up, making Esmy roll her eyes. She tossed the phone aside, deciding against a nap in general and opting for a shower. Quickly she washed down, stepping out only twenty minutes later feeling more refreshed than she would have from a nap. She moved about the room slowly, pulling on her old ASU sweats and an old black racer tank-top Margret had left over her house once before. As she finished pulling her clothes on and putting her hair up into a bun, her phone began to loudly play Ryan Adams through out the suite. She made her way back into the bedroom area and answered quickly, without bothering to check ID, “Hello?”

“Sorry about that earlier, the lads were just mad I was beating em and wouldn’t pause for me.”

“Not a worry! I was calling to inform you I’ve landed and am currently within twenty miles distance from you.”

“Where?”

“The Four Seasons hotel. My work spoils me.”

“Me and the lads are going to grab a bite. Want to join?”

Esmy paused, considering it for a moment. Looking down at the sweats she just slipped on, she laughed and shook her head even though Josh couldn’t see it, “Honestly? I just got showered and into sweats so I’m probably grabbing Chipotle from around the block or something quick and easy like that.”

“I like Chipotle. Mind if I join?”

“Was hoping for it, actually.” Esmy smiled, glancing at the clock on her bedside, “Meet you there in twenty? I have to find my flip-flops before I attempt to leave and sunglasses so they don’t throw me out in fear of me being some celebrity they piss of.”

“Prissy types ey?”

“The worst!”

“Right, I’ll see you soon then.” Josh hung up again, making Esmy laugh loudly to herself. She quickly stuffed the phone back into her one of her sweatpants pockets, putting her cash and room key in the other. It took her a bit of time digging but she finally found her sandals and sunglasses tucked into a side pocket of her bag. Putting on her large black Ray Bans Wayfarers and her cheap Old Navy flip-flops, Esmy took off for Chipotle as quickly as she could knowing she was going to be late as it was.

Image


After they picked up their food from the over-crowded Chipotle, Esmy led Josh back to her hotel and up to the suite. She shot Annabelle a “raincheck?” text for dinner before she let them in the room. Opening the door widely, she let Josh step in and stare around the place in awe, “Bloke could get used to your fancy lifestyle…”

“Sad thing? I hate this stuff. Keep it simple, is what I believe in. I just get given this stuff as job perks or my auntie being too generous.” Esmy shook her head, shutting the door behind Josh and leading him over to the French double doors that led to the balcony. “I love this view however. Lets eat out here, it’s not too bad out.”

She sat down on the ground, leaning against the bars as she began to shake her burrito bowl to mix it before she opened the top again. Josh watched on, amused, as he sat next to her and pulled out his burrito to eat. She set her bowl aside, glancing over at Josh with a soft smile, “I’m really glad to finally get to see you again. Do you realize I’ve spoken to you almost every day of the last two months? I talk to you more then my own parents. Ugh I can hear their complaints all the way from Los Angeles!”

“What would they say?” Josh teased her, smiling goofily. Esmy rolled her eyes, letting her voice jump an octave higher as she imitated her mother. “Mija! You visit these silly boys but not your papi nor I? Oh child, bless! You pain me!”

Josh laughed loudly at her imitation, shaking his head as he tried to calm himself down. Esmy smiled at his reaction, laughing at him openly, “You’re an odd one Franceschi.”

“I could say the same for you Corteze!”

Esmy just smiled in response. The two continued to eat and talk for hours, like they would on the phone only for once they could physically see each other and react to each other’s statements at their fullest potential. Neither would admit it out loud at that time, but both could not have been happier to be together in that very moment. They both needed one another for moral support and Esmy didn’t frankly know if should would have survived the Los Angeles portion of her job without getting to see Josh the first time around.
♠ ♠ ♠
Welcome in Annabelle!

SO SO SORRY THIS TOOK SO LONG TO POST! It's a bit shorter than I wanted too but I wanted to end it on the note I did. I've had it written for almost a month now I've just been insanely busy with work, finals, and the holidays! Here's to me posting becoming a more steady and regular thing!