Status: finished.

Together by This Christmas Tree

but you, my dear, need to know.

john o'callaghan

Halvo sat across the table from me, looking at me like I was crazy. “I don’t get it, John Oh. You dumped Sumner Finn for some single time, just to find this Cally girl?” Halvo stirred his iced tea, adding increasingly more amounts of sugar with each stir, making me almost have a heart attack. He shrugged. “What if dumping Sumner was fate, and meeting Cally was like, destiny? What if Cally is the one?”

Since Halvo met Jess, he was obsessed with everyone else’s romance, trying to find their “one” like Jess was his. And don’t get me wrong, Jess was probably the nicest and kindest girl Halvo ever dated, while also finding a way to fit in with all of us, but this obsession with Cally and before her, Sumner, was driving me crazy.

I met Sumner the summer before senior year, when we got signed. She seemed genuine and pretty, and she just felt like someone I could spend all my time with her and not get bored with her. She was great, until a few weeks before our English tour, I just realized how unhappy I was with her, and that I needed something new.

And part of me still loved her, part of me was still hurting from our breakup and part of me wanted her back.

“Halvo, Cally is just ... she’s just a good friend at this point, okay? Yeah, she’s beautiful and yes, she’s nothing like Sumner and she’s everything like her all at the same time, but you know what, I don’t like her any more than a friend.” Halvo looked crushed.

“John, I want to meet her.” His voice was hard, like he meant business, and his eyes flashed. Beside him, Jess, who hadn’t spoken through most of the lunch together, touched his arm.

“Halvo, babe, if John says this Cally girl is just his friend, than Eric, Cally is just John’s friend.” Jess was my lifesaver, and she smiled at me, gently touching my hand. “But John, if you plan on having her stick around, I’d love to meet her. And I promise to leave Eric at home,” She teased. She really was perfect for Halvo, with her dark auburn hair and her dark eyes, easier to be with and easy to love. Jess went with Halvo everywhere, and when he invited me for lunch with her, I agreed because Jess was like my sister. Besides, she was one of those people who would never ever leave you, that two am friend you’d never wanna lose.

I shrugged, smiling at Jess. She had such a contagious smile. “If you really wanna meet her, we can surprise her at her shift tonight. You and me, and Eric, if he can behave himself,” I added, teasing Halvo further. He fell into a angry silence, eating his fries with vengeance as me and Jess talked.

Jess laughed. “I mean, since I’ve met you, there haven’t been many new friends. What changed?” The answer seemed to jump out at me, so simply, so irresistibly it was like it was always right there.

“She’s different than anyone else I’ve ever met in my entire life.” I said simply, and Jess smiled adorably, practically bouncing up and down in her chair as Halvo regained her ability to speak.

“See, Jess?! He’s in love with her!” Halvo said, calling the waitress over and ordering another iced tea, the waitress staring at us both like she was starstruck, which we got a lot, both of us being in famous bands. Jess gently hit her boyfriend’s arm, sliding it down and taking his hand.

“Halvo, I told you. John says they’re friends, and so they’re friends. Will you just meet her and then decide your opinion of them? Please, baby?” Jess begged, and Halvo, in that way that I knew he was truly head over heels in love with this girl, smiled and kissed her slowly, but not rubbing it in.

“Anything for you, babe.” And I was struck with how me and Sumner used to be like that, we used to love each other so much. I missed that more than anything when I was with Halvo and Jess, because they were just so damn happy together. While they talked, I quickly texted Cally.

You: What hours are you working tonight? I’m gonna come visit with some friends, if that’s okay?

Cally McGregor: I work seven to eleven tonight, and that’s totally okay. Can’t wait to meet them (:


I looked up at Jess, who was staring at me. I smiled. “It’s on.”
- - - - -

Jess looked around the pub, which was dark but also somehow bright, happy, the kind of place I imagined Cally working. Jess was holding on tightly to Halvo, who looked just as nervous as I was. Jess was always nervous meeting new people, and told us later that after meeting the large group of us, she had a complete nervous breakdown. Halvo looked straight at me.

“Where is this mystery girl?” Halvo asked, and beside me, Pat groaned. He was hungry, and had decided to tag along, always wanting a new friend. And I knew Cally would love him more than anyone else.

I looked around, and just as a gentle hand laid on his shoulder and a thin girl in green tights and a tight white shirt, her long blonde hair braided loosely down her shoulders. “Welcome to O’Leary’s, and I’m Cally. What can I get you guys to drink?” Cally asked, and she smiled at me.

We all gave our orders, and I introduced everyone while she balanced a tray on her hip. Jess gave a small wave. Cally looked at her, smiled. “I’ve heard a lot about you all. It’s great to finally meet you all.” Cally grinned. “I’ll be back with your drinks in a minute.” Halvo looked right at me, his eyes wide.
♠ ♠ ♠
a long chapter for all of you complaining about short ones (; they will get longer and shorter depending on what's happening. will probably update once a day, if not more c:

and i've decided i'm going to write halvo and jess's story, which can be found here. and you should subscribe, check it out. will be up soon.

and what do you think of john and jess's relationship? personally, i love them as best friends c: and of Sumner, John's ex? ooooh.