Status: finished.

Together by This Christmas Tree

i know, we're exactly where we're supposed to be.

john o'callaghan

Cally stood in my living room, a cup of coffee brewing in her hands as she watched me, the silence filling the room as the absence of Sumner suddenly became overwhelming. “So,” I said for the third time, and she kept staring, this time back towards the large window.

I knew why. I had really fucked things up when I ran away from her, and she said that she had tried. And now, here she was again, trying so hard to hold on, while I was trying so hard to let go.

I couldn’t hold on anymore to her, she was slipping away like a greased pig and I couldn’t find a safe spot.

“I want you to come to England with me,” She blurted suddenly, taking me aback. Before I could speak, she took a breath. “Remember when we first met, and I told you my friend Gemma was getting married in a few weeks?” I nodded, still confused and lost and needing an answer. “It’s in a week, a week before Christmas. We’d leave in two days, and be back two days before Christmas.” She sighed deeply. “I just need my best friend there to support me, okay?” She looked back up at me and frowned, until I felt my lips moving against my will, my heart answering for me.

“Of course I’ll go with you, Cally.” I covered quickly, kept rolling with it as her beautiful eyes lit up. “It’ll be a great chance for us to spend time together, won’t it?” I said, and she jumped up, and helped me pack.

The curves of her hips fit into mine as we slammed into each other putting clothes and things into my suitcase, bustling quickly as she smiled and told me all about Gemma and her fiance. She was excited, and I was excited to finally be with her again. Something about being reunited without Pat and Sumner there made things different, like a new flower opening and leaving behind the old flower to die.

The flower where I hated her, or perhaps just a petal of hate drowning in a sea of love, and more than anything, missing her and her happiness all the time. She was a ray of sunshine in my world of black, a bright horizon in a sea of misfortune and lost causes.

“John, you will love Henry. He met Gemma at a pub when he was playing the piano and singing, like he was in The Fray or something. I don’t know, but in all honesty, I think that despite not knowing anyone, you’ll have a merry old time.” Cally bounced towards the door, slipping her North Face over her shoulders and grinning. “You’ll meet me at the gate in two days, right?” She said, and I laughed, kissing her cheek and nodding, but couldn’t help but feel like I was betraying Sumner.

Sumner.

Shit.
♠ ♠ ♠
thank you for all the well wishing, but really, i'm fine. and merry christmas to all of you, and i hope your holidays are filled with happiness and wealth and good health.