Status: finished.

Together by This Christmas Tree

she's not alone and never will be.

john o'callaghan

Cally leaned up against my chest, her hand held in mine as we walked around the huge floor, where mostly old people were dancing in ways I had never seen. Admittedly, I was rusty at dancing, considering I was used to clubs and such, but Cally was quite good, leading me around. She smiled. “I’ll have to leave you halfway through the song, you know,” She said, brushing her blonde hair out of her face. For the reception, she had changed from her bridesmaids dress to a dress her mother never would have approved of, with a tight black bodice and an open back and a sky blue skirt. “I have to make that stupid maid of honor speech.” She rolled her eyes.

She looked utterly beautiful, and I could hardly keep my eyes off her all night, from the sun fading in the background as the band paused. Cally groaned, but held up one finger and ran quickly in her heels towards the microphone, which she tapped nervously.

“Hullo, if you don’t know me, I’m Cally McGregor, the bride’s best friend since grade school and her maid of honor. Honestly, how do I describe Gemma?” Gemma winked at me from across the room and Cally smiled wide, tears streaming down her cheeks. “Gemma and I got into a lot of shit when we were kids. I remember, when we were nineteen, we got so drunk that we got lost walking from my room to Gemma’s, which were only a hallway apart. There were dark times where I thought I’d lose her, and there were times, I’m sure, where Gemma thought she would lose me. We fought often and spent too little time together in the past years, but isn’t that a true test? I stand here and can honestly say that Gemma is my best friend in the entire world and no one could ever replace her. Nothing could replace the way you comforted me for six months or the way you make the best turkey sandwiches of all time when I was sick. Nothing can replace those times when we were teenagers and decided it would be a good idea to get shit-faced at eighteen and get tattoos, which I chickened out on, or the times where we burned our arms trying to make chicken noodle soup. And being married will change all that, and I know that. So this is a goodbye and a hello, Gemma. Please don’t make it only a goodbye.” Cally shallowed. “And here she is, so many years later, happy, glowing, and married to the best man I ever could have found for her. Henry, keep my best friend safe, won’t you please?” Cally said, and everyone applauded, laughing and smiling at her beautiful speech.

The band began to play “With Me” by Sum 41, and Cally suddenly smiled as my arms wrapped around her waist, and hers found their way to my neck, her tears somehow dried as the bride and groom got their first dance as a married couple. I spun Cally, and she pressed her cheek against mine, whispering in my ear. “John? Tell me I’m not dreaming and I mean something to you,” She said, and I smiled, finally seizing my chance and pulling her closer, whispering over the music we were getting so much closer to.

“You’ve meant the world to me since day one, Cally,” I said, and she pushed away, looked at me and not moving, a look of pure shock on her face as I smiled, grabbing her waist and pulling her in.
♠ ♠ ♠
CLIFFHANGER LOL. what do you guys think is gonna happen next?

and second update because, a, you guys are awesome, and b, this is probably my favorite chapter so far. it has a lot of foreshadowing and back story that will be explained later, possibly in the next John chapter.

and sorry for the giant chapter in the middle, but Cally's speech is important.