Status: finished.

Together by This Christmas Tree

don't you know, this year i want you alone.

john o'callaghan

Everyone gathered around the table, noisy as we passed around plates of Chinese, laughing and enjoying ourselves every so often with spilled beer and six packs. Austin was among us, his mustache glorious and kept harassing Halvo about Jess, who he had been spending more time with her since he got back a week ago. He really loved that girl. I stood slowly after an hour, knowing it was now or never. I clinked my fork against my glass, and everyone looked at me. “You all are my closest friends, and I want to run something by you, and you know, get your opinion. I trust you all,” I said slowly. Garrett laughed, shaking his head.

“You want to marry Cally, don’t you?” Garrett said, and everyone turned their attention towards me. Pat looked like he was going to cry tears of joy. I sighed, and then nodded slowly, and everyone stood, cheering and yelling and patting me on the back, before things settled down, everyone sitting down, and the debate began. Garrett began slowly.

“You haven’t been dating her for long, John, but I guess that doesn’t matter. Do you love her?” Garrett asked, and I knew that even Austin, who didn’t know Cally, wouldn’t let me mess up, wouldn’t let Cally get hurt. They wouldn’t let anything happen like that.

I smiled. “I love her more than I love anything or anyone else.” Everyone cheered again, and Halvo smiled too, pulling a little black box out of his pocket, and all of us fell silent.

“I bought this the day I could afford it, and I carry it with me everywhere, waiting for the perfect time to ask the girl I love like you love Cally, make her officially mine. It seems like you need to get yourself a wedding ring, because you don’t let a girl like Cally go. Not when you love her as much as you do.” Halvo looked like he was going to cry, and the table went silent.

“How do I do it? I can’t just get down on my knee and ask her,” I murmured, and Garrett smiled.

“I know this place with a rooftop garden and terraces and lights and you can see all of Tempe from there. You could get us to be waiters and ask her as she dives into her favorite food,” Pat said slowly, and Garrett glared, like it was originally his idea. I smiled. A plan was forming, and Halvo promised to take me ring shopping tomorrow, a smile on my lips.

“Now, with that out of the way, let’s dig in,” I said, and everyone laughed hard, and I suddenly was happier than ever, with the idea of Cally being with me forever and ever and ever.
- - - - -

“Jesus, Halvo,” I muttered, looking at the shiny display cases, where rings and diamonds sat, waiting for the perfect one. There were so many, and Halvo was holding his little black box, looking so happy. “There are so many.”

“See any you like yet?” Halvo asked, hardly hearing me as a man in a tight striped suit approached us, looking like he had shit under his nose. The man sounded French.

“What can I help you with today?” He asked, and Halvo sniggered. I glared, turning back to the man and chewing the inside of my cheek. He raised his brows annoyingly.

“I’m looking for a ring for my girlfriend. Money is no object.” It wouldn’t have mattered if I was famous or not. It had to be the perfect ring for Cally, regardless of the price tag. Speaking of Cally, I had gotten Garrett and Pat to take her out to lunch. Tomorrow, as she was walking home from work, I’d call her, telling her to run home and shower, get dressed up, and meet me. It was going to be perfect.

The man smirked. He began to show me diamonds and settings, and I found a beautiful setting, one that was a twist of gold and silver that Cally would love. But I was having trouble with the diamonds. I would have a giant square diamond, and couldn’t decide on the other two sides. Cally’s birthstone was a sapphire, but there were too many colors, too many choices. I was freaking myself out.

Halvo picked up two red stones, looking at me. “You guys meet on December 1st, right?” He asked, admiring the beauty. I nodded, biting my lip. He smiled, gently setting them into the setting. “What about this? They’re kind of like Christmas colors.” I smiled, and so did the man with the pointed face as he put everything into a little plastic bag, writing my name and Cally’s on it.

“Come this way, little boy,” He sneered, and I rolled my eyes, walking towards the front counter, where he began punching the keys on his cash register. Halvo wrapped his arm around my shoulder, shaking me slightly.

“Doesn’t it feel so good, JohnOh?” He said, smiling as the man handed me a slip, saying I could get my ring in two hours. I smiled, laughing as I looked at Halvo. I was happy, and it felt so good. I felt almost nothing, though. It was that feeling of pure content, where I knew that no matter what, as long as I was with Cally, things would be absolutely perfect.

I paid the huge sum, promising the annoying man I’d be back in an hour, and walked out with Halvo, suddenly nervous. “You think she’ll like it, Halvo?” I asked, shoving my hands in my pockets. Halvo smiled as we walked down the street in the warm Arizona sun towards his car.

“I think she’ll love it, John, as long as you’re the face she’s looking at.”
♠ ♠ ♠
told you all this bullshit would pay off (;