Status: finished.

Together by This Christmas Tree

ho ho hopefully.

john o'callaghan

I furrowed my brow. “Mom, I can’t do this.” I groaned, and for once, I became frustrated with the food in front of me. It was a romantic idea for Cally and I’s two month, which was tonight. I bought her a ring, and now, I was making her dinner. With my mom’s help, of course. She drove all the way in to help me. She sighed, taking the chicken from my grasp.

“Dear Lord, John. When is Cally coming over?” My mom asked, covering it with lemon dressing of some kind that she had whipped up. I smiled as she put the chicken in the oven. I checked the watch my dad gave me for Christmas, and smirked.

“An hour,” I said quietly. My mom smiled, and looked over at me with her hands on her hips and her hair blown out from the warm stove.

“Go shower and get ready for Cally, dear.” I began to walk away, but my mom stopped me, smiling. “John, you’re going to marry Cally, aren’t you?” I stood there, and began to deny, deny, deny, but my mom saw right through me. “Don’t mess this up, John Cornelius. I love her, and I’m so happy for you. You deserve each other, and I absolutely adore her. I hope she makes you happy.”

I smiled, chewing my lip. “She makes me so happy, Momma, you have absolutely no idea.” She smiled, and pushed me towards my bathroom, where she had lain out my capris and a nice white shirt, with a navy blue blazer. She smiled as I closed the door, putting the water on.

I smiled as I gently put the small black box on the sink, arranging it different ways as the steam covered the glass above the sink, and the window. I suddenly wanted to stare at the ring, wondering Cally’s reactions. Part of me hoped she would be shocked speechless, and I severely hoped she said yes. I knew she’d say yes, because if she loved me like I loved her, I knew she would.

I hopped in the shower, keeping my eyes on that stupid black box that lay on the sink. I was afraid that it would disappear, and also, somehow, that would change everything between me and Cally.

My biggest fear, though, was that I would blow it. I was terrified that I would somehow slip it through my lips that I wanted to marry her. We spent our time cuddling together, talking about our future together. Cally wanted three kids, two girls and a boy, but wanted the boy first so that he would protect his sister.

I pulled on my clothes, brushing my hair out of my eyes and making sure my tattoos were covered as I ran my fingers through my wet hair. I wiped the stream off the mirror, smiling at myself. This was the John O’Callaghan who was in love with a perfect girl, the John who wanted nothing more than this girl to marry him and be with him forever.

This was a happy me, one who I never ever wanted to lose.

My mom knocked on the door, and I cracked it open, pulling my shoes off as she smiled at me. “Chicken is on the counter, give it fifteen more minutes to cool. The table is set, the fire is lit. Cally will be here in fifteen, so that means that you need to hurry and I need to go now.” She kissed my cheek, and squeezed my arm. “Good luck with Cally, even if it isn’t tonight, okay? I love you.” She began to walk away.

And Cally stood in my threshold, wearing a small dress and a jean jacket, smiling. She was beautiful.
♠ ♠ ♠
fillllller. (: