Status: finished.

Together by This Christmas Tree

we're exactly where we're supposed to be.

john o'callaghan.

I straightened my tie, nervously watching the scene unfold before me. The guys were taking it upon themselves to set up the solitary table, with a perfect view of the street below, but covered by a terrace covered in flowers and Christmas lights - amazing and ironically fitting.

My tie, silver and sparkly, was a gift from Cally when we went to dinner one night and I remarked on a lack of tie. Black slacks and a black button up, sleeves rolled up the way Cally liked, was courtesy of my mother, who had endlessly helped me with the nerves and what to do, what to wear, what to say.

“Tell her what you love about her,” My mother gushed, digging through my closet and whistling quietly, evidently thinking. “Tell her that though you may not always get along, you want to work at that everyday.” She straightened, shaking her finger at me and looking me dead in the eye. “And you tell her how much you love her and how much you want to spend the rest of your life with her, do you understand me?” I smiled as she threw clothes into my hand.

The sun was just beginning to set behind the horizon, and Pat and Garrett were admiring it as Jared rearranged the table. Kennedy was at my side, gently putting his hand on my shoulder. “What’s it feel like, John? Being this in love?” I smiled, and tried to articulate the best I could.

“It’s like euphoria, but depression too. It’s knowing someone will always be there for you when you get home, but it’s also knowing she won’t be there forever. It’s wishing for something worse, thinking that’s what you deserve. It’s a smile on your face every time someone says her name or every time you think of her, which is all the time. It’s that cheesy love that romance movies preach of. It’s everything, and so much more. Cally is everything I ask for, and so much more.” Kennedy smiled at me, and looked me straight in the eye, and whistled.

“I knew thought it’d be womanizing O’Callaghan who would get married first, but here we stand, a ring in your pocket and a smile bigger than ever on your mug, and you look happy, John. You look happier then I’ve seen you in awhile, and gosh, I love Cally for making you that happy.” I smiled at Kennedy as the guys began calling to us to set up the place settings, which were in a plastic box next to me.

I was going to be engaged to be married. It was a weird thought, a weird feeling, one I couldn’t quite comprehend for the life of me. It was such a strange thing, really, that in a few months, I’d have a gold band on my finger when I sang to all my fans, Cally the girl waiting backstage for me with a smile and a kiss, maybe a baby in her belly or in her arms. We’d have a house in Tempe, near both our families (or what was left of hers), and we’d have three kids, all bouncing and beautiful, with girls who looked like Cally and boys who looked like me.

Our life together was just beginning, and I couldn’t help but want to smile.
♠ ♠ ♠
the next few hours will be splayed out.

and congratulations to liliac encouragement; for perfectly wording Cally's fatal flaw. it isn't that she's jealous of Sumner; she still believes that she isn't nearly as good as Sumner, and wants to prove to John she is better.