Crash

Chapter 1

Crash: Chapter 1

I heard a bang come from downstairs, and laughter flood through from several cracks in my bedroom floor. I frowned and pulled at my hair, frustrated. Again. I’ve been repeating my actions for almost an hour, trying to actually do my homework before the weekend starts. Cassie had come over, but she was downstairs. In the basement watching Max and his band practice. They were pretty good I guess, their drummer was shit though. Joe I think his name is. The band was called You Me At Six. Josh Franceschi, my sworn enemy, is lead vocals. I’d say he wasn’t that bad, but he’s apparently my sworn enemy according to my best friend Cassie. Sighing rather loudly, I could only hope that the five or so boys could hear my frustration. I knew Josh was doing this on purpose, he absolutely despises me.

So, I was forced to untangle myself from the warm shelter that is my duvet covers and to walk down the steps to the main room and down some more steps finally at the door to the basement, pulling up my knee high socks as I went. Making sure my steps were quiet I leant against the door leading to the basement. I smirked as I watched the boys play their hearts out. Before I even knew what I was doing, I was standing next to Cassie who couldn’t take her eyes off of the boys. She was like this whenever they practiced.

I’ve seen them practice before, when I had nothing better to do. Max was always that ball of energy, bouncing everywhere. Matt was always focused on what he was doing, but still managed to have fun. Chris was silent, doing his best doing what he does for the music. Joe half-assed everything, as if he didn’t even care. And Josh, well Josh was everywhere. Once second he would be at the back of the room near Joe then the next he would be standing closer to Max. I continued to watch Josh bounce around everywhere, completely lost in the music. The words, the songs that he wrote. And I smiled, not because he looked like an idiot, or because his voice hasn’t gotten deeper and is an octave higher than the music suits, but because I was in some way proud. I was proud of the fact that he’s doing something he so obviously loves.

But that smile was immediately wiped from my face when he noticed me standing there, my arms crossed, my blue jumper riding up slightly exposing my midriff. And he blushed, could have been from all that energy he was exerting, and he was finally getting exhausted. But just when I thought he was exhausted he put more effort into everything. More effort in how he was careful enough to not bump into any of the guys. More effort into getting the words right. More effort in how his voice sounded. More effort into the way he tried to scream.

I giggled, his screams sounded ridiculous. Not bad, but they didn’t suit the music, it surprised me. It surprised me that I actually giggled at something related to Josh, and the boys stopped once they heard that unfamiliar sound. Maybe one of their instruments was faulty, they probably thought. They looked at each other before they looked towards Cassie and me. I looked towards Cassie, knowing she was staring at me as well, and looked back at the guys.

“Keep it down, I’m trying to finish my homework, yeah? Cheers.” I walked out of the basement and towards the stairs. I was already in the main room when I felt a hand on my shoulder.

“Wait! Hold up, Abby!” Reluctantly I turned around. I was shocked to see Matt, I would have thought Max would come after me. Turning my gaze towards Matt I smiled at him, tucking a strand of hair behind me ear.

“Yeah, Matt? What is it? I hope it’s important, because I have to finish my homework.”

Smiling back at me, he looked down towards his converse clad feet. “I was, uh… wondering. If ..you’d, uh… maybe want to go out sometime?” Matt had looked back up at me, his eyes shining with hope, but that soon diminished when I had taken too long to answer. I was still in shock. “Yeah, yeah sure. When should we go? Maybe Saturday?” But it seems he didn’t hear me.

“It’s alright if you don’t want to go with me. I knew it was stupid. You’d want to date someone your own age, not someone older.” I snorted softly, and snapped my fingers in front of his eyes, which were now downcast. He looked back up at me, embarrassment lingering on his adorable features. “Hey buddy, I said we could go. Maybe Saturday, yeah? But I really do have to go, I wanna watch some Donnie Darko when I finish my homework. Cheers, love.” I stated as I departed, gently easing my arm out of his grasp that he hadn’t released. I pecked his cheek before I could completely leave to walk up the steps to the hall, and I left him there dumbstruck.

I snorted slightly as I walked through the hall, stopping at the door at the end of the left side of the hallway. “Silly, kid. What made him think I wouldn’t go?”

“Well, apart from the fact that you’re kinda threatening, and you take control wherever you go, nothing really.” I jumped, spotting my best guy friend, Will, splayed out on my bed. My books were shoved on the floor. Will must’ve climbed through the window, like he always does. ‘Doors are overrated’, he told me the first time he came over, ‘except for when I have to leave.’

Laughing slightly I shove him off of the side of my bed, My duvet cover sliding along with him. “Shut up will you? We have to get you a boyfriend next, yeah?”

“Pff! I don’t need a boyfriend! I’m fine the way I am, with my two best friends. Cassie and David! Oh, and my camera as well.” Will grinned at me while I glared in return. Speaking of his camera, Will takes videos all of the time. I swear that boy was born with that damned camera, documenting how everything was inside of his mother’s womb.

I smacked him upside the head with his favorite pillow of mine and laughed loudly, my homework forgotten until Sunday evening.

Abby's outfit
Cassie's outfit