Crash

Chapter 4

Crash: Chapter 4

“Go away, Franceschi.” I said. Doesn’t this scene look familiar? “It didn’t work last time, it’s not gonna work this time. Anyway where am I gonna go? We’re in detention. I can’t just leave.” I am not in the mood for Franceschi’s shit. “Never stopped you anyway.” I mumbled, resting my head on my arms.

God I hate cramps.

To my surprise I felt a comforting hand on my shoulder. “What’s wrong?” Josh mumbled, squatting so he could look at me at eye-level. I peaked at him between my arm and bangs. “Why do you care?” And his eyes once more turned to stone, two hard sapphires.

“Sorry for trying to be nice to my friend’s girlfriend. I’ve only known you for a year but that’s not an invitation to act like a bitch.”

He shot me an apologetic glance, Max must’ve told him then. “No. No, you’re right. I have no right to treat you like that. I’ll try to make it up to you, I promise.” I tried smiled at him through the pain of these damned cramps but it must have looked like a grimace because he looked concerned again.

“Hey, how about we sneak out and go to my place. I’m sure you can tell Elissa what’s wrong.” He stated. I had no idea who Elissa was but I knew he was right and I’d rather be at someone’s house where it was warm than at school where I was freezing to death.

By now the whole school was empty, save for Josh and I and whatever teachers slept in the damn school. The sunset, or whatever was a sunset masked by cloud, bathed the two of us in its light while we walked the quiet boring streets of Weybridge, Surrey.

“So how exactly did you get into detention?” Josh asked about fifteen minutes later after we successfully snuck out of Rydens. I glanced at him out of the corner of my eye. He had his red and navy tie tied around his left hear, gently tousling his brown hair and contrasted with his ocean blue eyes. Okay Abby, getting a little too descriptive, I thought. Must be the cramps.

“I smacked someone with a bible and declared I was the new Jesus. You know… the usual.” Josh stared at me with a grin, chuckling slightly. “That is mental! I’m surprised you didn’t get sent to the main office and get detention for whatever rest of the week we have left!” I shrugged, a gentle blush grazing my cheeks, not used to getting complimented on my work.

“So what’d you do, then? Smack somebody as well?”

He shook his head, a bit sheepish. He looked too embarrassed to say. I was about to tell his to drop it but he beat me to the punch. “Nah, I started yelling at someone for talkin like a bigot. Started insultin Blink-182 and an’ all that.” I nodded, my bangs landing in between my eyes, and blew them upward and to the side. We scuffed our feet against the pavement, or walked if you wanna shorten it, in an awkward silence. My hands were warm inside his Drop Dead varsity jacket that he gave to me when I had gotten cold. Why the hell had I forgotten my jumper when I left home late? I shrugged it off and handed it back to him. “Here.”

“Hm? Oh, you sure?”

“Yeah, I’m fine. I’ll just stop by mine to change first.”

Another awkward silence. We’d never really communicated; we just knew we were rivals. Always wanting to best the other. “So…who’d you smack?” Josh asked, mildly curious and interested in why I got detention. I snuck a peak at him before I answered. “Erin McClellan. Who’d you yell at?” I asked back. I already had an idea of who it might be, but I wanted to make sure. Josh lifted his head, his eyes shining with mischief and grinned childishly. “Erin McClellan.” And we both burst into laughter, we obviously greatly disliked her. She was quick to judge. Way too quick. She’s sort of like Regina from Mean Girls. That’s one of me and my friend Dan’s favorite movies.

I unlocked the door and threw my keys onto the small chest in the hall’s entrance and shook off my shoes at the doorway. Mum would put them away for me. “Mum! I’m going out! I’ll be back in a while!” My mum appeared in the main room, a wash cloth on her right hand and her left in a pink rubber glove used for cleaning and such. Her light brown hair framed her light brown hair with few fly-aways and her light blue eyes twinkled with curiosity and concern. “With Cassie, dear? Oh, hello Josh. Max is in his room.” Josh grinned politely at me mum and embraced her in a hug. He headed upstairs waiting for me. I hadn’t realized how close Josh is to this family. “No, mum. I’m going over to Josh’s to see Elissa. Uh, Josh, you can tell Max. He can come if he wants. I’ll go change now; it’ll only take a minute.” I rambled on as we walked up the ivory carpeted steps. We both headed different ways. Josh to the right. I to the left.

I slammed my bedroom door closed and opened my closet door. I tugged off my uniform skirt and was left in my white button down shirt and knickers. I frowned after a very thorough search of my closet and bedroom. I had no clean pants left. “Dammit.” I whispered, I’d have to go over to Max’s room so he could lend me a pair. Tugging our one of my most comfortable shirts I left the hanger in my closet. Closing the closet and heading outside my bedroom I padded to Max’s.

“Hey Max, do you have any pants I can borrow? All of mine are in the…” I trailed off, my eyes wide and my cheeks red. Josh was in the bedroom, I’m in my knickers, and Max was staring. I might’ve stood there for a minute or hour. I wouldn’t know. But I was beginning to get cold. Josh would stop staring. Especially at mu knickers. They were my favorite pair, black with white polka dots. Not anything special, but they were cute enough. Max grinned and stared at my knickers as well, not disgusted like he would if it were any of his other siblings. His blood siblings. No I was different. I was adopted at the age of three. It was normal for either of us to feel any kind of attraction towards each other. Whether it be lust or love, we both knew our parents would accept us either way. It wasn’t like that though, we didn’t love each other outside of brother-sister love. Sure Max could be a little perverted and affectionate, but that’s how he is.

He snapped out of it and handed me a pair of pants that looked suspiciously like mine. “Mum gave them to me by accident. They’re yours. Keep ‘em.” I scoffed and shoved his head. I tried not to think of josh’s unwavering eyes and his trademark Franceschi blush. I smiled. A nervous and embarrassed smile that matched my expression. I walked quickly out of Max’s bedroom and scurried into my own bedroom.

I leant against the closed wooden door, clutching the clothes tightly to my chest. Heart beating fast I rushed over to my cellphone that was charging on my duvet cover. I dialed Cassie’s number. “Hello?” I heard her ask, could hear the distant voices of her grandmother and mum complaining over their damned family dinner. “Cassie, Franceschi saw me in my knickers.”

“Whoa, wait. What? When I said be nice to him I didn’t mean that nice!” Cassie replied, teasing. “No, no. I was going to Max’s. To get a pair of pants because all mine are in the wash. And I forgot he was there and I’m going over to his house so Elissa can fix my damned cramps.” I rambled to her, not wanting her to get the wrong idea.

“Oh, Elissa’s nice. Tell her I said hi. Uhh, well just change now, and get it over with. He’ll want your body less.” Cassie said, dragging out the word body. I groaned. “Cassie!” She giggled and hung up the phone, but not before yelling at her mom. ‘I’m getting to the damned table now, woman!’ I snorted as I pulled on the shirt before tugging on my pants. I scanned the area for whatever shoes I could find, and successfully found a pair of boots. Alright, let’s go. I thought to myself.

Abby's outfit