Crash

Chapter 6

Crash: Chapter 6

I sighed, comfortable with my head resting on Matt’s chest. We stayed up all night last night. Just cuddled under some blankets on an inflatable mattress watching Old Disney movies, and eating a bunch of popcorn and ordering a bunch of pizza. It was dawn, so naturally the basement would be colder than it should be. The two of us were freezing, even under the blankets.

“It is way too cold in here.” I muttered, moving closer to Matt as he wrapped his slim arm around my waist. We huddled closer together; we were both too lazy and comfortable to turn on the heater on the other side of the room. Neither of us wanted to risk the cold tiled floor. Matt’s phone beeped from the small couch that was behind the inflatable mattress. I felt him stretch and reach over to the still beeping phone. It was a text. We both sighed, enjoying the time that we had together. Matt smiled softly at me and kissed my cheek, trailing to my lips. I smiled back, looking into his eyes.

“You are my prettiest friend.” Matt whispered, nuzzling my hair gently with his nose before we both sat up. He let out a tired sigh and ran a hair through his dark hair before standing up. He grabbed his coat, beanie, and tugged on his black vans. Shrugging on his coat he waved at me before jogging up the steps and into the hall. I stood up and cautiously placed my socked feet on the cold tiled basement floor. Padding over to the small window that exposed the front lawn I watched Matt sprint away and to band practice at Chris’s house, which was a half an hour walk. He was late. An hour late. We’d lost track of time, and I felt guilty. If I hadn’t convinced him to watch Monsters Inc. with me then we would have fallen asleep earlier as well as woken up earlier.

I stretched raising my arms up and listening to my joints pop. First my elbows, then back, and eventually my neck and toes. Sliding across the floor in my semi-clean socks I headed up the stairs and into the hall. My mum was cleaning, as usual, the mess that Max and I tend to make in the hall. She looked up at me when she paused. Smiling warmly she placed a gentle kiss on my temple.

“Good morning sweetie, Matt just left. Do you want anything for breakfast? Maybe after you take a shower, yeah? Honey, you look exhausted.”

Other than the usual fussing over my health, my mum is the best mum I could ask for. She ran her hand along the side of my cheek and rubbed her thumb against it, with the usual look of concern in her eyes.

“Are you alright, dear? You look a little sick. Like I said, go take a warm shower and come back into the kitchen, alright love” She stated firmly, hustling over to the kitchen to make me a cup of tea. With my eyes slightly closed and my head throbbing in pain I trudged up the steps and to the bathroom. Once in the bathroom I made sure to lock the door, like I usually do. I tugged off my jumper and shorts. And then later on my socks.

With my eyes still closed slightly and a thin layer of cold sweat I stepped hesitantly into the shower like I always did. I let the warm water run down my back and tilted my head up, my hair plastering itself to my face. Brushing it back roughly I fought back a shiver.

About fifteen minutes later I began to feel whoozy, stepping out of the shower I wrapped a towel around myself and turned off the water. I gingerly sat down on the toilet, afraid that if I sat down too fast I might hurt myself even more. Groaning slightly I rubbed my throbbing forehead. Leaning my sweaty forehead against the cold tile walls I shut my eyes.

“Seems like that shower didn’t do any good.” I whispered to myself, my voice hoarse and rough. I reached for my phone in my pants pocket, but then realized that I left it in the basement. I figured I’d just stay there until my mum decided to drag me out. I leaned my head against the cool tiles once more and sighed, closing my eyes.

What seemed like two hours later I heard rough knocking on the bathroom door. “’Ey! Is anyone in there? Oh, Mrs. Helyer. D’you know if anyone’s in here? I have to use it…badly.” I heard a familiar voice say. My eyes opened slightly but I was too tired to get up and open the door like I would have. “Oh, of course, love. Let me just get the right key.” That was no doubt my mum; she has a key to every room in this house. Just before my eyes closed again I saw my mum open the door, Franceschi was standing next to her looking like he needed to take a serious piss. “Abby? Abby, dear are you alright? Josh can you go get Max? Tell him she’s out again.” I didn’t understand what she meant. What does she mean by “again”? I heard Josh leave and then come back with Max, who I presumed put a cool towel across my forehead.

“Josh, call an ambulance? Mum how long has she been here?” I heard Max mumble, concern lacing his voice. He’s a good brother, a fantastic one at that.

My favorite brother.

Abby's outfit