Status: Short-story ft. Brian Haner jr.

From Paris with Love

Chapter 1: Fix A Heart

Image

"I don't know how much more of this I can take Matt." She sighed as she glanced out the window of her brothers car, the scenery rushing by in a blur as they cruised down the Pacific Coast Highway. Matt just simply rolled his eyes at his sister and didn't respond, just kept his eyes on the road. "Matty." She whined.

"What do you want me to say Jenna? If you're so miserable, dump his sorry ass." Matt replied and Jenna frowned slightly.

"You didn't quite have to put it like that." She mumbled as she crossed her arms over her chest. Matt sighed as he glanced over at his disgruntled sister before looking back at the road.

"I'm not trying to be mean Jen." He stated. "I'm just saying that if you're not happy, then is it really still worth it? I mean come on." Jenna didn't reply, knowing her brother was right. Things fell silent between the two for the remainder of their journey back to Matt's house. Jenna had flown into California from New York to spend the entire week with her brother for his birthday. Leaving her fiancee and the rest of her problems behind to deal with when she returned home. Not that she was looking forward to it.

After about a thirty minute car ride they finally pulled into the driveway at Matt's house. Shutting off the engine they both got out of the car, Matt grabbing Jenna's bags as she gawked at her brothers new house. She knew his band had gotten famous, but this was impressive.

"Pretty amazing huh." Matt chuckled as he brushed past his sister and walked up the front steps and into the house. Jenna rolled her eyes at his back and followed him inside. Closing the door behind them she glanced around the first floor of his massive house, impressed by the fact that it was perfectly spotless.

"It's nice to see you've grown out of your messy faze." She joked, earning a playful glare from her brother as he dropped her bags on the floor by the stairs. "Hey! Easy with that, I don't need you breaking my stuff." Matt was about to reply but was cut off by a very excited Jimmy who came flying into the room, scooping Jenna into his arms as he hugged her tightly.

"Jenny!" He squeeled excitedly as he spun her around, Jenna laughing as she hugged her brothers best friend. The man she considered to be more of a brother than anything else. "Oh my god I've missed you so much!"

"I've missed you too Jimmy." Jenna replied as Jimmy set her down, holding her out at arms length so her could get a good look at her.

"What the hell happened to you?!" Jimmy said sternly as he crossed his arms, frowning slightly down at Matt's small sister.

"What do you mean?" She asked, tilting her head to one side out of curiousity.

"You don't write, you don't return any of my emails or messages, you never return my phonecalls...I was beginning to think you fell off the face of the earth." Jimmy replied.

"I'm sorry Jimbo." Jenna replied as she hugged him again. "Things have just been so crazy lately." She let her words trail off at the sight of the other guys entering the room. One in particular catching her eye immediately.

"Hey, where's mine?" Zacky pouted as he held his arms out for a hug. Jenna automatically detatched herself from Jimmy and ran to hug him tightly as he lifted her off the ground before setting her back down and allowing her to move along to Johnny. She stopped at Brian as she stood in front of his tall frame awkwardly.

"Brian." She said with a nod, the smile falling from her lips as she glanced down at the floor. Brian didn't reply, just nodded at her before she turned around to face away from him.

"Awkwaaard." Jimmy mumbled quietly as he grabbed Jenna's stuff. "Uh come on Jen, I'll show you to your room." Jenna nodded egarly before hurrying up the stairs behind Jimmys lanky figure, disappearing from the sight of the others as he lead her to her room. Once inside she closed the door behind them, sighing out of frustration as she set her stuff down.

"He's such an asshole." She mumbled as she turned to face Jimmy who was smiling down at her mischievously. "Don't start Jimmy."

"Oh come on Jen, don't be like that." Jimmy said.

"I don't wanna hear it Jim." Jenna sighed as she flopped down on her bed. "I already have to deal with him for a week and the last thing I need is for it to be anymore awkward between us than it already is." Jimmy just nodded as he opened the door, turning to face Jenna before he left.

"I understand." He replied. "Just thought you should know he misses you, that's all." And with that he closed the door quietly, leaving Jenna drown herself in her thoughts.

'Well, he's sure got a funny way of showing it.'

************

It had been three days since Jenna had arrived at her brothers house. The guys had been over everyday, making it extremely awkward since obviously she had to face Brian. You see, Jenna and Brian use to be highschool sweethearts back in the day until they spilt up a few years ago. Jenna to go to New York and Brian to be with his band. It was a fight neither of them could win and it ended with both hurting the other more than they'd even admit to...and it led to a fight that no one wanted to re-live.

Three years had passed since their break-up and Jenna had come home for Christmas, the guys were all over at Matt's old place, as usual. Brian and Jenna had actually managed to start a civil conversation. Talking about Jenna's job and how well Brian and the guys' band was doing. That only lasted until Jimmy let it slip later on that night that Jenna was getting married...Brian lost it. Jenna could recall it all perfectly, and seeing Brian everyday now only made things that much worse for her.

*Flashback*
Jenna's P.O.V


Everything had been going seemingly well this evening. Brian and I had actually managed to start speaking with one another again. The first time really in almost three years to be exact and in all honesty, I was actually kind of enjoying his company. Reminds me of how things use to be and how much I truely do miss him sometimes, even though I pretend to hate him so much. It was nice to actually have a civil conversation and not be constantly shooting each other dirty looks or saying mean things when the other had their back turned. All was going well, till about half way through dinner that is.

"So Jenna, when's the big day happening." Jimmy asked and I felt my heart stop as everyone looked down avoiding eye contact, except for Brian who was staring at me confused.

"What do you mean Jimmy?" Brian questioned, not taking his eyes off me the entire time. I shot Jimmy a glare as if to say 'Don't you dare say a word.' He looked back at me with an apologetic look in his eyes. Mouthing a 'sorry' as he glanced down at the table awkwardly.

"Jenna." Brian said my name, sending chills down my spine and causing my heart rate to increase. I dropped my eyes to my plate.

"Brian." I replied. An awkward silence falling between us briefly before he spoke again.

"You wanna explain what's going on." He said, gritting his teeth slightly as he spoke. I felt my hands start to shake slightly, I knew where this was going. Still I didn't reply to his question. "Jenna." Brian spoke a little more sternly.

"Jenna's engaged." Matt, my brother spoke and I instantly dropped my head. He just had to say it.

"You're WHAT!?" Brian yelled the last part, pushing himself backwards and standing up so quickly that his chair tipped over backwards and hit the floor with a loud thud, causing me to jump.

"Brian, calm down." I said queitly as I stood up, shrinking back as he took a step towards me, his tall frame towering over my short one.

"Calm down?" He asked. "Calm down?! How the fuck do you expect me to CALM DOWN?!" Brian yelled. It was like a repeat of our break-up all over again. "What, were you just not gonna tell me? Were you just going to show up one day with a husband and be like 'Oh hey long time no see, oh by the way, I GOT MARRIED'!"

"Brian." I tried to cut in.

"Don't you 'Brian' me Jenna, when were you going to tell me?!" He yelled again. "Huh?"

"When I was ready to tell you Brian!" I yelled back, causing his expression to fall as he took a few steps back. Impressed by the fact that I hadn't lost my temper...till now. "I didn't tell you because I knew you'd flip out!"

"Of course I'm gonna flip out!" He was back in my face again, and upon glancing around I noticed the guys had left the room. Obviously not wanting to witness the scene that was happening.

"What's the big fucking deal Brian?!" I snapped. "We've been over for three years, why the hell should you even care?" I felt my heart twinge a bit at my words ... 'You shouldn't care either.' The voice in my head whispered quietly.

"You broke my fucking heart!" Brian yelled. "I was the one who was supposed to marry you! How the hell do just expect me not to care Jenna?!" His words hurt worse than I think he entended them too. "I was never anything but supportive of you Jen, and how do you repay me? You leave me!"

"Supportive?" I stated. My voice had fallen flat and was void of any emotion whatsoever now. "If you were so fucking supportive Brian then you never would have had a problem with me going to New York! And I never would have had to call it quits!" Brian's expression fell at my words, looking away as the tears started to slowly roll down my cheeks. He knew I was right and that his reaction had been over the top and pointless...he'd lost this one. "You broke my heart too Brian." I stated quietly with a small sob. "It tore me apart, but you're the one who made me choose Brian. You're the one who pushed me away. So don't you dare try and play the sympathy card on me!"

"Jenna I'm-" Brian started but I cut him off.

"Don't Brian."

"Jen-" Brian ducked as I threw a glass at him, turning as it shattered against the wall behind him. He looked back at me with sympathetic eyes as I had now completely lost it, the tears flowing freely down my face now as I backed away from him. He took a step towards me and that was all it took. With one final sob I bolted from the room, leaving the house and going back to my hotel where I spent the rest of my night, crying my eyes out.


*Back To Present*

Jenna sighed as she made her way downstairs to the kitchen. Stopping when she caught sight of Brian sitting at the kitchen table reading a magazine. She made her way to the fridge, opening it quietly and hoping he wouldn't notice her presence, or if he did he'd just ignore her.

"Morning to you too." He stated sarcastically as Jenna closed the fridge. Jenna rolled her eyes before mumbling back a 'morning' and leaving the room rather quickly. Brian always had that special way of making things awkward. He hadn't changed a bit. And as Jenna sat down on the couch in the livingroom, Brian appeared in the doorway.

"Seriously?" Jenna mumbled to herself as she took a drink of her water, Brian leaned against the door frame, making sure he kept his distance.

"You're brother told me about you and..." He trailed off, obviously not remembering my soon to be ex fiancees name.

"Derek." I added.

"Right." Brian said as he rubbed the back of his neck, something he always did when he was nervous. "I'm sorry to hear about all that." I rolled my eyes once again.

"Oh please Brian." Jenna huffed, pushing herself off the couch as she started to walk past him, stopping when he grabbed her wrist lightly and pulled her back to him.

"Would you please just listen to me." Brian sighed, not bothering to let go of Jenna's hand. "I'm sorry Jen."

"Right." Jenna laughed sarcastically as she attempted to pull out of Brian's grasp. "You just expect me to forgive you for everything just like that?" Brian dropped her hand and threw his hands in the air.

"See, there you go, being typical Jenna." Brian stated as Jenna rolled her eyes at him...again. "You can never even let me finish a sentance without butting in to start an argument!" Jenna scoffed before turning to leave the room, Brian hot on her heels as she headed upstairs. "I'm serious Jenna." Brian raised his voice trying to get her attention, it worked too. Jenna spun around to face Brian, her hand connecting with his cheek as they stopped outside her bedroom door.

"Don't you dare start this with me again Brian." Brian smirked as he backed her into the door. Placing his hands up against it, trapping her from going anywhere.

"And what if I do." He taunted, his face just inches away from her own. Jenna felt her heart rate increase as his scent swept over her. That sweet intoxicating smell of his cologne and Marlboro cigarettes.

"Brian Elwin Haner Jr." She growled as she glared up at him, not hesitating to kiss back when his lips collided with hers. Brian's hands travled down her sides, stopping to rest under her butt as he lifted her up, hitching her legs around his waist as he pushed her up against the door. Her arms wrapping around his shoulders as she intertwinded her fingers in his hair, tugging slightly as he detatched his lips from hers and moved down to her neck. She whimpered slightly and closed her eyes as she leaned her head back against the door, still amazed that he knew all the things that use to make her go weak in the knees...and still do.

She let all thoughts of how much she hated him be pushed to the side as Brian opened the door to her bedroom, kicking it closed with his foot before laying her back on the bed. She knew what they were about to do was wrong and would just end up leaving them both hurt even more than they already were, but she didn't really care. Because for the moment, Brian was hers again, and that's all she cared about.