‹ Prequel: What Can I Say?

Stay

Stay

“Please, Melody, trust me!” Joe said for the hundredth time to a reluctant Melody.

They stood outside of a club that Melody had never heard of where Joe said an awesome band would be playing at but he had neglected to say who it was. Melody had a feeling this was all a plan to get her in the same room as Nick again.

“Can we please go in?” An irritated Karen asked. “I’m pregnant and want a place to sit!”

“Alright fine.” Melody said with a sigh as she followed Joe to a side door where they were let in instantly.

They found a table near the front before anyone else could take it. It didn’t take long for the place to be packed with people all waiting for the show. Melody sipped on her drink slowly letting the cold liquid distract her from her racing heart. It was like she could just feel him near her, something she had always been able to do.

“Will you just tell me the truth.” Melody finally said her nerves getting the better of her.

“Truth about what?” Karen asked with a noticeably forced smile. She never liked lying to people.

“Is this some kind of plan Nick put together to try and get me back?”

“Yes.” Joe answered trying not to smile. “Now will you please relax?”

Karen and Joe waited for Melody to storm off without saying another word to either of them. Instead she sighed and sat back in her chair.

“I might as well stay and see what he’s going to do.” Melody said sensing their surprise.
Joe smiled; he knew this plan would work for sure now.

Fifteen minutes later the lights dimmed and soft music began to play. Melody didn’t notice Nick walk on stage she was too busy trying not throw up from too much nervous energy.

“Hello.” Nick said into the mic sitting on the piano he sat at. He smiled at the crowd his eyes scanning for a pair of electric blue eyes. “Thank you all for coming to this last minute surprise show.”

“I’m going to be playing a few random songs, at least it’s going to seem like random songs I threw together at the last second.” Nick said his eyes finding a pair of blue ones. “But there’s a reason behind the songs I have selected.”

Melody couldn’t take her eyes off Nick as he talked to the crowd before their gazes met. In that moment Melody was alone in the room and Nick was playing just for her.

“This first song is a mash up of two songs; one I’m sure some of you have heard before and one that has only been heard by one other person besides myself.”

Nick looked away from Melody and focused on the piano keys. His fingers found the black keys and he closed his eyes and let the music flow.

“She walks away the colors fade to grey
Every precious moments now a waste
She hits the gas hoping it would pass
But the red light starts to flash it’s time to wait
And the black keys never looked so beautiful
And a perfect rainbow never seemed so dull
And the lights out never had this bright a glow
And the back keys showing me a world I never knew, no
A world I never knew
She hates the sun ‘cause it proves she’s not alone
And the world doesn’t revolve around her soul
No, she loves the sky ‘cause it validates her pride
Never lets them know when she is wrong.”

Melody couldn’t take her eyes off f Nick she didn’t even notice the tears ready to fall at any minute. She had never heard this song and never would have thought it was about her but hearing it now she knew why Nick had wrote it.

“And you should know, please believe me
I’ve picked up the phone a thousand times
And tried to dial your number but it’s been so long.”

Melody looked away from Nick as a sob threatened to come out. Listening to Nick play one of the songs they had written in private about their relationship was almost too much for Melody. The only thing keeping her form bolting for the door was Joe’s arm around her shoulders and Karen’s hand clasped tightly in her own.

“It’s never easy it’s like trying to spin the world the other way
What can I say?
How did it come to this? I think about you all the time
It’s no excuse but I wish that I never made you cry
I’m not sorry that it’s over but for the way we let it end
I couldn’t find the words to say
The black keys never looked so beautiful
And a perfect rainbow never seemed so dull
And the lights out never had this bright a glow
And the black keys showing me a world I never knew
When the walls start closing in don’t let them get inside of your head
Don’t let them get inside of your head, don’t let them get inside of your head
Don’t let them inside
‘Cause the black keys never looked so beautiful
And a perfect rainbow never seemed so dull
You should know please believe me
I’ve picked up the phone a thousand times
And tried to dial your number
But it’s been so long it’s never easy
It’s like trying to spin the world the other way
So what can I say? What can I say?
I hate to think all you have of me is the memory I left you
The space between what was meant to be
And the mess that it turned into
What can I say?
Sometimes a fight is better black and white.”

As Nick’s fingers slipped off the piano his eyes searched for Melody’s once again. She was wipping away tears a small smile pulling at her lips as Joe said something to her. The fact that she had stayed to hear the full song was enough reassurance for Nick to continue playing the rest of his set. He played six more songs all of which were a message to Melody. As the finale Nick had a special song for Melody.

“Thank you all for coming.” Nick said now standing in front of a mic no instruments in hand. “This last song I want to play I wrote only a few days ago.”

Melody glanced at Joe a nervous knot forming in her stomach. She knew this was going to be the song that Nick had been saving to really show her he still cared. After the first song Melody hadn’t cried she just enjoyed the concert like any other person in the room but now that was about to change. She was about to give in and fall for Nick again. Not that she had every really fell out of love for him.

“This goes out to the best thing to ever happen to me.” Nick said smiling at Melody. “I love you Melody Crenshaw.”

“Hard to believe where we are now
Your hand in mine babe feels right some how
The night is so still don’t make a sound
It’s almost perfect baby
So promise you’ll never look down.”

Joe was amazed as he watched his younger brother this was the first time in all the years they had been preforming that Joe could see how much a song meant to him. He had always gotten emotional when siging but this was some how different. He was really siging from his heart and soul. Melody couldn’t take her eyes off of Nick she listened to every word and watched his every move.

“‘Cause we’ve had our past I know let’s leave that behind
‘Cause none of it lasts all that we have is tonight
‘Cause you’re not the only who’s ever felt this way
Don’t let the world cave in just tell me that you’ll stay
Now that the pain is done there’s no need to be afraid
We don’t have time to waste just tell me that you’ll stay
Beautiful one of a kind you’re something special baby.”

Melody smiled as Nick pointed to her before putting a hand over his heart. How many girls had dreamed of Nick singing these songs to them? Melody knew after this night her world was about to change she was now Nick Jonas’s girlfriend and not the secret one she had been before. Of course this would help her record sales and even get her more writing jobs, and of course the tabloids and angry fans would jump all over that. For once though, Melody didn’t care what anyone else had to say about her or Nick. All she wanted was to be with Nick.

“Don’t even realize that you’re my heart’s desire
All that I’m needing and more
I know your scared but I promise babe I’m not who I was before
You’re not the only one who’s ever felt this way
Don’t let the world cave in just tell me that you’ll stay
Now that the pain is done there’s no need to be afraid
We don’t have time to waste just tell me that you’ll stay
You’re not the only one who’s ever felt this way
Don’t let the world cave in now tell me that you’ll stay
Now that the pain is gone there’s no need to be afraid
We don’t have time to waste tell me that you’ll stay
Tell me baby; tell me that you’ll stay
Baby please tell me, tell me
Tell me you’re gonna stay.”

As the band continued to play Nick jumped off the stage and bypassed the many girls trying to grab onto him and made it to Melody’s table. It was as if time stopped as soon as their eyes met. Nick held out his hand to her hoping she would take it. To his surprise she took it without any thought. He pulled her up from her seat and kissed her in front of everyone in the room. Of course there were camera flashed going off all around them but for once Nick wasn’t thinking about the press this was going to get. His priorities were finally in the right place.

Later that night as Nick and Melody sat alone in Nick’s apartment talking about everything that had happened between them they agreed to start over. It was time for them to forget the past and just be together.

“I love you.” Nick said as he intertwined their hands. “And I always will.”

“I love you. Always.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait!! there is one more chapter! so don't leave just yet! I will try to get it out to you as soon as I can. I'm graduating from beauty school next week so after that i will have some more free time to write!
i love you all thanks for sticking with me!!