Last Request

Chapter 5

I didn’t know whether to be frightened or delighted by dads Japanese. He hasn’t said anything in Japanese to me since he collected me that day from school. I’m sorry dad but I can’t go without saying goodbye. Two weeks past and it was almost time for us to leave, dad started showing more kindness. He was still isolating himself- but he was talking to me. Which was… well weird, I guess we were wrong mom. Dad didn’t over react, he’s kept his promise of no parties and leaving me treasure my time left.

The Tuesday before we were scheduled to leave I went to the sight I hadn’t been to since we lost her. In that cherry blossom garden, under the biggest cherry blossom tree is her headstone. I still remember the day we scattered her ashes around the tree, so she’d always be there in body and spirit. Finally after months away from here, I walked back in through the tall metal gates. Taking in the smell of the blossoms I sat down under the tree beside mom. The breeze felt like her way of telling me she was with me.
“Konnichiwa Mama, Genki des ka? You won’t believe it but…things have changed. I’m determined to fight now. Dads trying to be supportive but…well it’s him need I say more. Mom I don’t want to go and leave you here all alone, not again”

For some strange reason I started to feel incredibly exhausted, my arms fell limp beside mom’s headstone. Something was taking whatever energy I had left from my long fight. Yet I’m not afraid, watching the sun set on Okinawa I felt some sort of peace, that’s something I hadn’t felt in a long time. The sun’s rays mixed with the waves helped settle my tormented soul. Oh god what is happening to me, I guess dad’s turned me into some weird emotional emo instead of a dark one. Thanks a lot dad. I wonder if you know I’m here, you’ll love listening to the sounds of the waves.

The sound of the waves, they’re always so soothing, so peaceful. I’ve always been amazed by how something as simple as water could be so relaxing. All your worries your fears just wash away with the tide. But they never really disappear do they? They’re always there slowly destroying your soul like little demons from the fiery pits of hell. If only the waves could take my pain away forever. But they can’t, in the end they’re just water.
So tired, so very tired, maybe I do need some rest. I clung onto mom’s headstone with what little energy I had left allowing the sounds of the waves to take me away.
“Ohiri”
“Gozimas?” (I’m home?)

Dad-I didn’t want to leave you alone. I wasn’t angry.
I’m sorry we’ve both left you alone. But we’ll always be there to watch over you.
I promise.
Don’t cry for me, I’m not dead,
I’ll live forever in your memories, we both will.
I love you papa. I’m so sorry.