She Never Returned

She Never Returned

Jane Doe made her way down the bleak, dark streets. She glanced at her phone and noticed it was only 1:00 A.M. She only had ten minutes to make it down to Brown Road to deliver the package she carried in her bag. She moved easily through the night, making no noise as she went. Jane made sure no attention was brought to her that night. Her senses were on overdrive. Every noise, every shadow worsened her anxiety. She was so scared of what would happen to her if she didn’t get the package to the house. A car was approaching as she turned onto Coyote Drive. She pushed a blonde strand behind her ear as she sank into the shadows of the boardwalk. The headlights passed and she let out a sigh. She decided to wait her for a moment and take a chance to relax.

Jane reached into the black bag she carried with her and pulled out a bottle of water. She drank for a few minutes, trying to calm her nerves. It was the first time she had ever been on this excursion and she wasn’t a fan of it. She caught her breath, mustered her confidence, and stood back up. She made her way a little further down the boardwalk, feeling the cool sea breeze on her cheeks. The silver glow of the moon on Carver City Bay was a welcoming sight as she neared closer. She had spent many more humid July nights such as this, in this very spot. She leaned against the railing and let the late night summer breeze dance through her curls. A slow smile spread on her face as childhood memories of Carver City Beach played across her line of vision. She could almost feel the many years of sunburns and sandy feet down near the waters below her. She could hear the faint noise of music and conversation and looked across the bay to see the orange glow of flames. Jane shook her head knowing a gang of teenagers must have been in their usual water-side party spot.

Jane heard the whisper of footsteps on pavement coming closer to her. Almost instantly the feelings of threat and fear embraced her like a loved one. She focused her green eyes towards the perilous sound. She could see nothing through the gloom. The footsteps were coming faster and closer to where she stood. Then, through the warm summer air came a man, dressed all in black. He had a smirk on his face and a knife in his right hand. Jane screamed and tried to run the opposite way. She knew if she could get to the end of the boardwalk she could dive into the depths of the Pacific below. Jane tripped, her body slammed onto the remorseless pavement. Her lungs tried desperately to inflate with oxygen again, as she heard a chuckle and felt immense pain.
_______________________________________________________________________

Chris staggered his way up the shore of Carver City Beach. He wanted nothing more to do with the social-gathering he was leaving behind him. He made his way across the beach and finally sat down in the sand not too far from the boardwalk. Chris sat catching his breath listening to the sound of the waves lapping the sand. He got his lost in his own mind for a while, just pondering the world around him. He began to look around at his surroundings. Nothing but sand surrounding him and water to the front. He looked to his left towards the boardwalk, where he and his friends enjoyed spending many summer nights on the rides and eating the fired foods. Chris could see a dark, large object lying under the boardwalk. Chris’ heart stopped. Slowly, he rose to his feet, feeling his heartbeat rising with each step. Taking a deep breath, he made his way closer towards the object. He looked at his watch, 1:45 A.M. He could barely see a thing in the gloom under the boards. His blood was boiling as he got closer and his greatest fear came true. There upon the sand laid the body of a woman. Chris let out a scream as the reality of what laid before him hit him.

Who could have left her like this? He thought as he fell to his knees next to her remains. He took her hand in his and felt her wrist. He could feel nothing, a flat line. How much worse could the world that we live in be? Chris felt around for his phone and dialed 911. He quickly explained to the operator where the boardwalk body was laying. He hung up and waited for the ambulance. He looked down upon the corpse. There she was laying quiet and still, her complexion at peace with dismay.
_______________________________________________________________________

The next day everyone in Carver City was murmured about the mysterious murder of the boardwalk body and the teenage boy who had found her. Rumors swirled all over town. The mystery was never solved. Any evidence the real killer had left behind had been washed away by the tides of Carver City Bay.