All That I've Got

Home

I sat with my legs folded under me as I looked out the window at the passing scenery. Belleville didn't look so horrible if you took the time to look, really look I mean. I could see the park as we drove, remembering the days when we'd hear on the news about the dead bodies being found there and in the lake, it was one of those things that reminded you that you were never completely safe in life.

My parents were silent as Dad drove with one hand, his other squeezing one of Mom's. I expected them to start badgering me with questions, but they seemed to understand that it'd be a long time before I even attempted to speak. The drive wasn't that long, it lasted about twenty minutes at most.

"We're here honey," Mom said, turning her head to smile at me before getting out of the car to helping Dad with my bags. I opened the car door and stepped out, slowly inhaling the cool air. It was early July, the middle of summer, a month before school started, if I was even going to school that is.

I followed my parents into our house, geez that sounds weird to think about I thought to myself as Mom closed the door behind us. The house looked the same. It still had that warmth to it that made you feel at home, though it'd take awhile for me to trust that sense again.

They didn't have to give me a tour. I already knew where everything was even after the time that I'd been away, and I knew they wouldn't bother me in my room. I smiled as I closed my bedroom door behind myself. There was just something about having the freedom to lock a door behind you that exhilirated me.

My room was my true sanctuary, walls painted a pale blue with lyrics and pictures everywhere. I sat down on my bed, smiling as I looked around. It felt weird, to smile that is. I hadn't in so long, but now it seemed to become natural again. I wasn't happy, not even close, but I wasn't as miserable as I had been when I'd left.

I fell back onto my bed, looking at the pictures that I'd managed to tape to the ceiling above my bed, eyes landing on one in particular. It was of me and him, Frank, the boy that I'd practically grew up with. He was always there for me when we were younger, but his parents had gotten divocsed and he moved with his mom. Where, I'd long forgotten. It was sad to realize that though, Frank had been my best friend, and I'd probably never see him again. At least, that's what I'd thought.

Frank's P.O.V.

"You're serious Sam? How is she?"

This is only part of the excitement I'd heard as I came downstairs to find my dad in the kitchen, talking on the phone with such excitement. I patiently sat down at the kitchen table, arms holding my head up as I looked at him.

"Okay, I'll tell him, thanks Sam," he said before hanging up, smile turning to me.

"What's up?" I asked yawning as I wiped the sleep from my eyes.

"They brought Carys home today," he said sitting across from me, his smile growing even wider when my jaw dropped.

"You're kidding me right? Carys Winters, she's back?" I asked for clarification.

"If you don't believe me you can take yourself next door, she's in her room," he said nodding, but I detected something in his tone.

"There's a but coming isn't there? I can feel it, 'she's in her room but...', out with it," I coaxed him.

"Frank, I'm gonna be honest with you. Carys hasn't spoke a word ever since Sam and Beth put her in the asylum. She tried to kill herself three times already and she's...timid," he said looking down at the table. "Her parents still don't know what happened, but she's changed."

"When can I see her?" I asked, a bit of hope still alive in me.

"Today if you want, why?" he asked.

"Dad, I haven't seen my best friend in more than a year. I don't care if she won't talk, but I did promise her that I'd always be there for her," I said looking him in the eyes. "I'd like to keep that one."

"At least shower first. You smell like a teenager," he said chuckling.

"Fine, I shall wash my funky self, but then I'm going to see Carys," I declared as I stood up from the table and left the kitchen.

"He is definately my son," I heard my dad laugh to himself as I jogged upstairs to shower.

Twenty minutes later

"You're positive you want to do this Frank?" Dad said, looking at me with serious written all over his face.

"Absolutely Dad, I don't know, I just have this weird feeling that somehow I can help, maybe find out what happened to Carys," I said honestly as I stood up from the couch in clean jeans and a Smashing Pumpkins t-shirt.

"Don't get your hopes up Frank, but I wish you luck," he said sighing as he waved me out the door. I let out a sigh as I walked down the driveway and up to the front door of the Winters' house, ringing the doorbell.

"Oh hey Frank, how are you?" Mrs. Winters said, immediately wrapping me in a hug when she answered the door. Ever since I was little she'd been this affectionate. I'd seen her go up to random people and hug them, that's how she and my mother met in 8th grade. She guided me into the house, already asking if I was hungry.

"No I'm fine Ms. Winters, but can I see Carys please?" I asked, looking up at her.

"Sure Frank, you know where her room is. She should be in there, we'll be down here if you need us," she nodded before walking back into the kitchen from where'd she came. I let out a long sigh before climbing the steps, instinct seeming to guide me down the hall to the second to last door on the right, Carys' bedroom.

I hesistated for a second before I knocked, knowing there was no turning back from here. I was going to help Carys get over whatever had taken my best friend away from me, no matter how hard the challenge.