Status: In Progress

Aerials

Chapter Five- Phenomenon

She puzzled me. There was nothing more to it. Why are you talking to me? Besides, how do you know who I am? I had already dealt with enough strangers for today, especially with some of those “Characters” on that bus, but now this was getting ridiculous. Was it even possible to feel violated from a stranger saying your name? Before I had a moment to complete my thought of ‘Who the fuck are you?’ she spoke to me.

“Callie, it is you right?”

I looked at her, still puzzled. Who the fuck are you? was the only thought repeating in my mind over and over again. It almost slipped out of my mouth; but I’m glad it didn’t. I didn’t think it would be a good idea being abrasive for a first meeting.

“Yes, um, I’m Callie.” I said with confusion in my voice as I tucked a loose strand of
hair behind my ear over and over again. I had developed a nervous habit of doing so over the years.

“Oh dear, I’ve been expecting you!” she spoke with an enthusiastic smile on her face.

Suddenly it hit me. No. How? Are you serious? No. This doesn’t make any sense. This is not possible. Ok, where is the sick bastard who wanted to pull this on me? Where are they? Cute, let’s play a joke on the new girl….What the fuck. Are you kidding me? Oh, my God. I could barely form my next sentence.

“You’re my-”

“Great Aunt. Annabelle, but you can just call me Anna,” she warmly introduced herself as she sat down next to me. “I assume you were expecting someone a little more on the older side of the spectrum, with gray hair and a cane.”

I could only look at her and nod. I still couldn’t speak, I was still swimming in my thoughts.

Anna placed her hand on my shoulder as if she was about to explain something. “I see by the look of your expression, it’s kind of a shock, isn't it? I’m willing to explain everything when we get back to the house.”

The explanation I would receive, I could only hope that it would clear up my mass confusion. I got up off the bench and together we rolled my luggage over to the far end of the parking lot. We exchanged a few laughs along the way with our failed attempts to keep my luggage from falling. I felt comfortable for the first time in a long time with a family member. It was good to know I was not the only klutz in the family. We arrived at a nice red Convertible, with the top down and luxurious leather interior. I guess we’ll be riding in style. I remembered thinking when I examined its glossy paint job, and admired how crisp and clear my reflection was in the mirror. We loaded the luggage into the back seat carefully making sure everything fit into place. Moments later, we were off into the distance. I was leaving behind all my worries in the August air.

We drove along the strip of land connecting the island to the mainland. The view from my side of the car was stunning, as if it were captured in a photograph with the perfect lighting and setting. The way the evening sun’s rays hit the water of the ocean was mesmerizing. The reflection of the sky you could see from the deep blue tones surrounding the white clouds of air. Forest trees of leafy green hung over the edges of the northern end of the island, reflecting a mirror image. One branch seemed to reach out to the water as if it were trying to touch its long lost twin. I felt like in a matter of seconds we were on the island, leaving behind the ocean for a sea of deciduous trees. Greens vibrant and dull engulfed us, but not for long. We rode along the main road into the small town, passing the post office, a grocery store, and a movie theater among a few other buildings along the strip that connected to the town circle. We had moved on in what felt like a matter of seconds. Those images were now snap shots in my mind.

The farther we got away from the center of town the more nature seemed to take over again. The Greenery again consumed most of the surroundings. Vibrant purples, yellows, and blues of flowers popped out of the green landscape as if they waited to say hello to us. These flowers seem to give life to the roads. The roads began to tuck into the forest, hiding away from the main road. Later Anna told me that they were not roads, but some of them were driveways to houses around here.

It was near the hour of sunset when we arrived at Anna’s house, rather should I say her mansion. Her place was ridiculously huge compared to the houses I’d seen back in Chicago. As soon as we turned on to the side road, I saw it at the top of the hill towering over us. I had this overwhelming feeling that I could only think to compare to being captured by a princess and forced to live in her castle for the time of captivity. It was a dream. I was going to be living in a mansion. Pinch me I must be dreaming. The closer we got the more I could make out details of the sand colored steps that led up to an open porch that surrounded the house. I asked Anna how many floors were there because it seem like her house almost towered over the trees. She said it was only three floors but it looked bigger because it was an illusion provided by grand entrance hall high ceiling.

She parked the car in front of the main steps and a young man, well dressed in a blue dress shirt and tie came out and greeted us.

He spoke very proper and I detected a bit of a British accent. “Miss Annabelle, where would you like me to take your guest’s belongings? Will she be staying in the East Wing’s Grand Guest Room?”

Anna responded with her kind voice. “Yes, Jeremy, this is Callie, my niece. Oh, and if you don’t mind, could you get Blake to do that. He could give Callie a lovely tour of the house. I need you to take the car to the garage, if my eight o’clock hasn’t arrived yet.” Later on, I would notice when Anna would order people around, she would do it in a nice pleasant manner. I guess that must have been why everyone seemed to like her.

“Yes Ma'am, and he just called, he will be arriving a few minutes late.” Jeremy spoke walking over to the car to take the keys from Anna. Before he drove off, he welcomed me to Harria Estate.

I was astonished at this scene. Anna had butlers and servants, what was next? Was she going to say she was some foreign princess of something? I laughed to myself a bit at this thought.

“My grandfather, Harris Harria, was a wealthy man from being a broker with the stock market. He made splendid choices with his investments and left me his estate in his will as well as his whole fortune. I was his only heir. I was an only child and none of his own children survived him,” she explained.

“Oh, I see.” I guess that saved me from having to ask my first question. Minutes later, a well-dressed boy with dirty blonde hair and a tan complexion arrived at the steps. As we walked down the steps, he greeted Anna. He turned to me with his pure white smile. When we made eye contact, he spoke.

“You must be Callie, I’m Blake. It’s great to finally meet you. Everyone here is excited for your arrival.” He said greeting me once again with his warm smile and a hug. I couldn’t help but to smile, I felt special.

“Miss Annabelle, where would you like me to take Callie and her things?” Blake asked, heading towards my bags.

“To the Grand Guest Room, Blake.” Anna responded as she headed inside ahead of us. “And, if you don’t mind could you give her a tour of the estate?”

“Of course, I’d be glad to.”Blake smiled at her requested, taking both of my rolling suitcases as I grabbed my backpack. Anna told me earlier that she wouldn’t see me until tomorrow because she had some business to take care of. I was to go to the kitchen and get dinner if I was hungry after settling in. The only other instruction was that we were having a special breakfast for my arrival tomorrow at nine o’clock in the garden. She gave me a hug good-bye and I left with Blake to venture off inside my new home.