Status: Active :3

There's No Me Without Us

Listen to Me

(Abbey’s POV)

I stood in the shower, letting all my worries be dragged away by the hot water that remained. I let it fall on my face, and I screwed my eyes up tightly; not allowing any water to get into them. I shuddered as the water suddenly turned ice cold and I quickly shut it off.

As I felt the cool tiles of the bathroom slap against my feet and my towel against my skin, I also felt my worries come crashing over me again. I leaned against the old sink, above which my own green eyes were reflected back at me in the slightly cracked mirror. It had been exactly three days since we had stood in the centre of town and I still hadn’t been able to come up with a plan. I ran my hand through my wet hair. I stared at my own reflecting, willing myself to come up with some ingenious plan.

It seemed hopeless; we only had eleven days till they were coming for Cherry, to take her away from me forever. I couldn’t let that happen; she was part of me. I couldn’t live without her; it’d be like living without air; impossible.

“Think, Abbey, think,” I muttered to myself for the hundredth time in the past couple of days. “How can I go with her?”

My brain was unable to work, as if it was an old machine covered in cobwebs, and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t get it to work; all there was, was darkness; emptiness. I stared at the pale faced, dark haired girl, as if waiting for answers. My hand curled up in frustration and without thinking about it, it shattered the mirror.

I cursed and sat down on the toilet seat, clutching my now bleeding hand. I took deep breaths, half to keep myself from feeling the pain too much and half to calm myself down. I heard footsteps outside and then there was knocking on the door.

“Abbey? Abbey are you alright? What happened?” Cherry’s voice sounded shaky and scared. She’d been more and more anxious the last couple of days.

“I’m fine, I just slipped,” I called back at her.

“Are you sure?”

“I’m sure,” I reassured her, “It’s nothing I can’t fix.”

It was true; over the years without Mum and Dad, I’d taken charge. I’d looked after Cherry, and even though I was only a little bit older, it seemed like I had to; like I owed it to Mum and Dad to look after my sister and I. I had gotten used to doing little things like bandage wounds and cook dinner.

I got a bandage out of the cupboard and clumsily covered my hand in it. The bleeding hadn’t been too bad, and blood hadn’t started to seep through the white material, yet. I got changed and headed into the living room, where Cherry was sitting on the couch, staring blankly at the wall.

It’d been the same way for the last couple of days. We’d sit quietly and stare at something; seeing nothing, engulfed in our own thoughts. I sat down next to her. After a moments silence, I heard my voice speak on its own accord.

“What if we just go along with it?” My voice was oddly loud, in the airiness of the house, and I was surprised to hear it was steady, confident.

“I – what d’you – what?” Cherry stuttered, blinking absently at me. “You surely can’t mean that.”

“Think about it; if we try and get both of us on that ship, we’ll most likely die in the process; if we both stay behind, and both of us will die. But if you go –“

“I’m not leaving you,” Cherry said firmly. “We’ve talked about this before; I don’t care if staying behind means I die, I’m not leaving you.”

“But –“

“No, listen to me,” she said, her voice the boldest I’d seen it in a while. “I am not leaving you. No matter what. If you think me getting on the ship without you will save me; think again, ‘cause it won’t. I’d die without you, Abbey. I wouldn’t know what to do with myself –“

“OK, I get it, I love you, too,” I said, slightly annoyed that she’d shut me down.
♠ ♠ ♠
Tada; it's rather shabby, and I don't really know where this is heading at all. But woo! Chapter three :3
Comment, subscribe, etc etc We really like feed back and stuff so, don't be shy; we don't bite... much.
-Juice x