Cover Story Now in Stores

Payback is a Bitch

I wish I knew what I was doing.

Was I really going to Pete's house? Was I really going to shove in his face that I was more excited to see Josh than I was him? What was possessing me? Was I really going to let Ashlee have him? I guess......I guess so.

I really needed to get my head on straight.

Six months ago, I was madly in love with the dude! Now....he's dating Slut son while I'm walking around with his baby in my uterus, and all I want to do is rub in his face that Josh is coming in two days just to see me. I was really wishing things would work out between us, three months ago. Now I'm hoping I can have a new relationship with someone else.

But I walked up to his door anyway.

Autumn knocked on the door and waited with me before Ashlee answered the door. What was she? His Whore, his girlfriend, or his maid?

"Paige! It's so nice to see you!" at least she was trying to be nice to me. Maybe she's as stupid as her sister with the whole 'I thought it was Chicken, but it tastes like Tuna' thing. Maybe she's plotting to take my baby and claim it as her own.

Maybe I'm loosing it.

I fake-like smiled at her and drug Autumn into the house.

"Peter! You have visitors!" Ashlee called. Peter? Who called him that?!

He flew down the stairs, a lot better looking than the last time I saw him. He smiled and kissed Ashlee's cheek before looking at me. And you know what; that simple gesture, followed by her little annoying giggle, hurt like hell. I could feel the baby kick as my heart ripped in two.

Then he saw me. And his smile fell of his face. And his hand fell from Ashlee's waist.

"Hey Pete." Autumn said, in total monotone. I could tell she wanted to rip his balls off with her own hands. Hell, so did I.

I was really wishing she hadn't talked me into coming. All I wanted to do here was see Hemingway and give him an update on his kid. That's it, Paige, I thought. I sighed and looked at Autumn, who was staring sternly at me, telling me to get it over with.

I could hear pitter-patter of paws come into the room and run right at me once he noticed who I was. I smiled, bending down as far as I could get with my over-grown belly and started playing with Hem. God I missed this dog.

I stood back up and smiled.

"What's up?" Pete asked. I raised an eye brow. Was he nervous?

"Not much. I just came by to let you know what I want you there when your baby's born." I lied. That's not really what I wanted to tell him. He looked at me, Autumn looked at me, and Ashlee looked at me like I was crazy. I could very well have been.

"Paige, that-" Autumn started.

"And that Josh is coming in. He's coming just to see me! I want him there, too!" I told him. Better late than never. His eyes grew wide at the news, but his face overall never changed.

"Why would you want him there? You haven't seen him since you were on tour with him!" Pete asked. Oh, his face finally screamed jealousy if anything. I smirked.

"Because, unlike some people, he actually wants to see me be pregnant!" I said, as cheery as I could make it sound. But his face fell. I could tell I had hurt him, bad. "Anyway. We should be going. I only came to tell you that." I smiled. I pulled Autumn to the door, but we had Hem follow us.

I turned and smiled at the dog, bent down, and told him that he couldn't come with us, as much as either of us wanted. And I thought I was going to cry. But I stood up and closed the door, walking back to Autumn's rental car and sliding into the passenger seat.

"Paige, why did you tell Pete that you wanted him in the same room as you when the baby comes? I know that's not the truth." Autumn said. I sighed.

"Autumn, it was. It just....came out of my mouth, but it was true. I really do want him there." I said, every word getting softer as we pulled farther and farther away from the house. Autumn turned on the radio, and Hero/Heroine came on. That song drove me crazy, especially under my circumstances.

She smiled and turned the song up, higher than I could handle it. Hey, at least the baby will like Boys Like Girls when it comes out.

We got back to the hotel and found a note on the table next to the bed. 'Gone to get Haylz and Josh. Back later-Jear.' it said. I smiled, reminding myself that Josh was coming to see me.