Cover Story Now in Stores

Lucky (I'm In Love With My Best Friend)

Pete, Dev, Jeremy and myself all walked down the stairs of the latest house Pete and I had been looking at. I had asked Pete about moving here, closer to his parents and snow, and he said he'd consider. There were still some people around here that he'd rather not see ever again, let alone with me to witness it.

The last three days, after a brief meeting at the studio each day, Pete and I,with Dev most of the time, headed off to look at houses that were for sale. I had found a few really nice places, with multiple bed and bathrooms, some with jacuzzies, some with in-ground pools. Pete didn't like any of them. He was probably too busy thinking about our place back in California, but he knew I didn't to live there anymore. He knew I loved Chicago.

This particular house, however, stunned him. He was so sure we'd never find a place like this in Chicago, especially in August when everyone was coming back from their summer vacations. But then Pete saw this house, and he was suddenly seeing it the way I was seeing it. He was amazed at the house.

Four bedroom, three bathroom, air conditioned basement with full-living quarters, a small in-ground pool, balconies off every window towards the back of the house, a nice, wide porch, huge kitchen, grand dinning room, open front room, living room, and a very accessible attic. This house was it; big enough for at the most five kids, four dogs, three snakes, a few fish, and some pet rocks if we wanted. Pete and I both knew this was our home.

"Dev, we better start packing." She turned to face me, away from Jeremy, to see Pete and I both in awe at the huge expanse that was only the front room.

"You...you're really considering this?" she asked. Pete shook his head.

"We're buying. No doubts, no worries, nothing. This is our home, and we're buying it." Pete sounded so incredibly sure of himself, and I turned to smile at him. "This is it, baby," he said, taking me into his arms. "If this is the home you want, it's the home we'll get."

"Pete, this is the home I want. This place is perfect!" Pete's arms tightened around me before his lips found mine. I heard Dev sighed in disgust, but I didn't care. I knew she turned away with Jeremy in toe when I saw them in the corner of my eye, heading off to another room. Pete detached his lips from mine, but his smile never faded.

He didn't let me go, either. His hands stayed firmly around me, holding me so close to him, I thought we'd mesh into one person. It felt so right, so natural to be this close to Pete. It was like....I was made for loving him. And yes, I'd obviously seen Moulin Rouge way too many times, but that saying fit with us perfectly. I was made for loving you, baby, you were made for loving me.

"When do we plan on moving all of our shit back in Cali over here?" I asked. In two months, we'd be done recording and heading off on the road again. Pete leaned his face closer to mine, but stayed far enough away so that he wasn't kissing me. His hands traveled down my body, stopping just under my butt. It wasn't like either of us hadn't noticed how much more....curvaceous I'd gotten over the last two years. But Pete, apparently, thought it was sexy.

"We'll have it shipped over here. I'm sure my brother wouldn't mind getting some of my friends with his together to help us move in," he answered, then planted one kiss on my cheek. His lips moved up my face, until they reconnected with mine. After a while, Dev and Jeremy were done re-looking at the house, and Pete and I had consulted with the Realtor about buying. We were in; we made the deal, and agreed that we'd sign some papers later, when Dev and I didn't need to be in the studio.

We all got Pete's rental car, heading out to the studio. I looked at the clock; we were almost ten minutes late then. When Pete turned the stereo on, his Jason Mraz album started playing. He knew I wasn't a huge fan of the singer, but Pete still loved his songs. Fan boy. However, this song that came on...it hit me. "What is this?" I asked. I recognized the second, more feminine voice as Cobie Callet. It was a beautiful song, and instantly I knew Dev and I had the same idea.

"Lucky," Pete answered. I had to remember that; Lucky by Jason Mraz and Cobie Callet.

When we pulled into the parking lot of the studio, Dev and I grabbed our coats and ran like bullets into the recording room. Matt looked a little impatient, but I wasn't going to need him. Dev headed right to Patrick's lap top and printed out tabs for the acoustic guitar she had laying next to Matt. Sonny and Matty looked at us like we were insane, but we didn't care; we were in hot pursuit to get this song recorded and onto the record. It applied to both of us, and in turn the song meant a lot to the both of us.

After she had her tabs printed, we headed into the section of the room with the recording mics. I had the lyrics almost memorized, but Dev had printed out a copy with the lyrics anyway. We set it up in between the two of us, and she tuned her guitar as I warmed up my vocal chords. We hurried through all the techinicalities, then told Patrick to fire up the recording machines. When he gave us a thumbs up, Dev started playing.

"Do you hear me,
I'm talking to you
Across the water across the deep blue ocean
Under the open sky, oh my, baby I'm trying
Boy I hear you in my dreams
I feel your whisper across the sea
I keep you with me in my heart
You make it easier when life gets hard

I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend
Lucky to have been where I have been
Lucky to be coming home again
Ooohh ooooh oooh oooh ooh ooh ooh ooh

They don't know how long it takes
Waiting for a love like this
Every time we say goodbye
I wish we had one more kiss
I'll wait for you I promise you, I will

I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend
Lucky to have been where I have been
Lucky to be coming home again
Lucky we're in love in every way
Lucky to have stayed where we have stayed
Lucky to be coming home someday

And so I'm sailing through the sea
To an island where we'll meet
You'll hear the music fill the air
I'll put a flower in your hair
Though the breezes through trees
Move so pretty you're all I see
As the world keeps spinning round
You hold me right here right now

I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend
Lucky to have been where I have been
Lucky to be coming home again
I'm lucky we're in love in every way
Lucky to have stayed where we have stayed
Lucky to be coming home someday

Ooohh ooooh oooh oooh ooh ooh ooh ooh
Ooooh ooooh oooh oooh ooh ooh ooh ooh"