The Immeasureable Distance

one.

The little prince dawdled in his castles garden, unsupervised. His nanny had set him down for a nap, but somehow the four year old little prince had sneaked off unnoticed, and into the garden. Not just any garden though, but the rose garden.

This little prince was Prince Oliver. A very high and noble prince and the Crown Prince of a very high and noble kingdom called the Hillocks Kingdom. Today was his birthday, and he was enjoying it very much until it was nap time. Prince Oliver was not all that fond of naps, as all children were not.

So Prince Oliver took it to himself to go to the garden where there were all kinda of bright colored flowers and animals. That was what Prince Oliver loved about his gardens. They were filled with rabbits, cats, dogs, birds and one more creature.

Dragons.

At the end of the rose garden was a grand dragon, the color of rare blue silver. This dragon was one of the rarest dragons of all, a Quentin dragon. A dragon that can breath fire, change it's color, change it's side, and talk the human language. This dragon was first found by Prince Oliver three years ago when he was a mere babe. When Oliver first met the dragon, he had not yet heard of the tales. The tales that said all dragons caused havoc, ate humans and horded treasure. The tales that said all dragons were fire breathing monsters that did nothing but destroy lives and villages. The Prince had no heard this yet. So when he met the dragon, he was nothing but excited.

The first day they met, the dragon was wary. He had never seen a human child before. He had lived in solitude in the forests behind the gardens all his life. He had been lonely for a good fifty years before this little human child wandered into his home. The prince only approached the dragon, reaching forward to stroke his nose. The dragon allowed it, just to see what this little human child was all about. He liked being stroked, and he realized that this little human child wasn't so bad after all.

Then he did something extraordinary. Something dragons have not done with humans in a very long time ever since the war between the two races had started. He connected their minds, or in a easier term, imprinted. Instantly, the two were one.

“I am Kadin.” The dragon rumbled quietly to the baby prince.

“Kadin.” Prince Oliver murmured. A childish giggle escape his lips. “Kadin!”

And that was where it started.

Years Later

“Kadin!” I yelled, jogging toward the dragons home. I spotted him napping under the sun, little streams of smoke coming from his nostrils. I smiled as I walked over and patted him above his eye.

“Wh-What?” He grumbled, raising his head.

“I've got a treat for you today.” I told him, raising the meat wrapped in wax paper.

“ 'a treat'. What am I, your dog?” He asked even though he was reaching for the package. “What is it, human?”

I chuckled and unwrapped it, revealing a slab of cow. Kadin made a sort of purr, a noise of satisfaction as he licked it up and chopped it up in his large sharp teeth. I patted Kadin affectionately and realized just how large he was. Of course, I knew he could become smaller, as small as the palm of my hand if he willed it.

“What are you up to today, prince?” He asked me, getting up and stretching.

“Ah, father wants me to get married, or something along that line.” I informed him as I sat down in the grass. I pulled the bread and cheese from my pocket and started to nibble on them.

“To a woman?”

“No, to a big burly man, Kadin!” I said sarcastically and laughing. “Of course a woman! Wouldn't you want to marry a woman?”

“I don't know. I've never seen another dragon.” A silence settled upon us as I realized how lonely Kadin must be. He could very well be the last Dragon left in the world.

“Well I'm sure if you do, that dragon will fall head over tails for, my friend.” I gave him a smile to cheer him up. Like the grumpy dragon he was, he just grunted. I smiled again and leaned onto him. His heart beat evenly, just like mine beneath his warm silver blue scales. I could see myself in them. An 18 year old prince with a sharp chin, boring brown eyes and just as boring boring hair.

Everyone thought I would become some magnificent warrior with great hair and smile, but in reality, I was a bit awkward. My little brother had more charm then me for godssakes, and he was eight years old! I seemed to meet the expectations of a prince, yet at the same time, not meet it well enough.

“Stop thinking.” Kadin ordered. “You are fine. Now sleep.” I shook my head at the sleepy Dragon, but leaned my head on him none the less. Under the sweet noon sun, I drifted off.

Some time later, I woke up to a guttural growl from Kadin. “What's wrong?” I asked him, rubbing my eyes.

"Them.” He whispered.

“Them?” I looked up to find a frightened maid and soldier in front of us. “Oh God.”

The maid dropped the basket in her hands and it hit the grass floor, oranges spilling out of it. She screamed, her hands clenching into fists. I scrambled up and reached toward her, words spilling out of my mouth as I tried to explain.

“M-Miss!” I said, walking toward her. She said nothing and just screamed. Still screaming she turned away and started to run. I ran after her, but the guard caught my arm. “Let go!” I said to him, turning my gaze to the frightened man.

“No.” He said defiantly, though he was trembling. “I'm sorry Prince, but this dragon needs to be detained.”

“Detain me, mortal!” Kadin growled, standing up on all fours and turning to his largest state. His scales turned an angry dark grey and he growled. To make a show of it, he puffed out a bit of fire toward the solider.

“Don't make it worse, Kadin!” I ordered, frustrated. I wrenched my arm out of the soldiers grip, but he grabbed at me again. “Don't make my anger for you worsen.” I hissed.

“I'm sorry, Prince Oliver.” He replied, grabbing at me. I pushed him back and he fell to his behind. I was about to run off for the maid when I felt him grab my ankle. I was pulled down by the guard, and that was when Kadin went crazy.

He let out a full deep roar into the air and stomped over to us. Before I knew it, he had grabbed the soldier with his jaw and yanked him away. “No, Kadin!” I screamed in fear. “You'll hurt him!”

Blood splattered all over the vibrant green grass, making a normal day into a gory one. The mans arm was in Kadin's mouth, the rest of him on the ground, his blood sinking into the ground. I stood still for a few moments before really turning my gaze to Kadin. The gentle giant I had grown up with had blood in and on his jaws, and a mans limb in his mouth. For a second, a split second, fear coursed through my veins.

The moment his icy blue eyes met mine though, the fear dissipated. I saw the care, and the fear, in them and realized he was just protecting me. “K-Kadin.” I said softly. “Put it down.” Gently, Kadin dropped the mans arm and rose to his full height.

“He was trying to hurt you.” Kadin reasoned.

“I-I know.”

“I was protecting you.”

“I know. I know.”

“You...You are afraid.”

“No.”

Kadin purred slightly and started to walk toward me. His tongue started to clean the blood off his jaws, and I walked forward to pat him, reassure him that I still loved him and always will, when I was pulled back.

“Oliver!” A deep loud voice yelled. I looked at the person gripping my arm to find my father. He took one look at me, then at Kadin, and then yelled, “Detain it!”

As father dragged me back by my arm, above I saw arrows and true fear coursed through me. I frantically turned to Kadin and screamed, “Fly! Kadin, go!! Kadin, go!”

He didn't go though. Instead though, he blew fire into the air and burned the arrows instantly. Ashes fluttered in the sky, but more arrows flew. I knew he couldn't keep this up for more then a few rounds. In Dragon years, he was a young teenager. He did not have the full power yet.

“Kadin, go!” I screamed, trying to run to him. Kadins eye met mine, telling me he would not. I felt tears prick my eyes. “Go, go, go!! They'll kill you!”

“Shut up!” Father ordered, whacking my head with the back of his sword. Kadin growled once again, but seeing he could not get close, he retreated.

“Go, go!” I yelled, encouraging him. My father whacked me again, and the sunlight started to dim. My last sight was Kadins worried look, and his leathery wings flapping in the air.
♠ ♠ ♠
NEW STORY.

<3

Co-Write story!

<33

Hi new readers! I am Penny, a pleasure! I hope you enjoyed this chapter ^_^

-Penny